“Worst ever”

Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Yarmouth
Reviewed 9 December 2009

We've stayed at lots of hotels around the world over the years but this has to be one of the worst ever. Although we arrived around 5 pm, it was impossible to find parking in the tiny car park and had to use the street.
The room is tiny, with 2 double beds in it, there is hardly room to walk around. Nowhere to hang clothes, only a tiny little cupboard. Room is cold and this morning there is so much condensation on the window you can hardly see outside. The beds feel old, lumpy and very uncomfortable. Furniture is chipped and old. It is also very noisey in the room- we can hear the people upstairs use their bathroom and had to listen to the TV in the room next door last night.
There is nowhere in the bathroom to put toiletries etc. Cracked tiles, cracked enamel in bath, tatty old plastic plug that doesn't fit so you have to shower.
Breakfast this morning was a joke. The lady at the desk was so rude and kept us waiting 5 minutes before finding us a table - we saw other colleagues in there already so went to join them in the end. My husband ordered a cooked breakfast - it was supposed to get toast with it, but he had to ask for that twice before it finally came just as we were leaving. Another colleague had asked for chocolate milk and had to keep asking for it. When we finally were asked if we wanted a refill of coffee, the waitress walked off without asking me if I wanted more - I did as the muffins I was given as my continental breakfast were so awful I needed something to wash it down. For $6.95 I was given a glass of juice, a cup of coffee and 2 small muffins that were obviously store bought. The plate they were served on was so hot, it melted the 2 small servings of butter that came with it. I have never had a continental breakfast like it ever - how can you call it that and not offer croissant or pastries!!! Tables in the restaurant were left and not cleared. When other people came in for breakfast they were told there was nowhere for them to sit, despite most of the tables being empty. It was really awful. We are supposed to stay here another 2 nights but are hoping we can cut short the stay and go home
Would never, ever stay here again

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
3  Thank val50

Reviewed 8 September 2009

My wife and I traveled to Yarmouth for the first time, and encountered the terrible weather
associated with "Bill" forcing us to return a day early. The Cat cancelled thier Sunday trip
to Portland.
The staff was very helpful during an obvious stressful time.
We had read the reviews prior to traveling and were pleased in spite of several negative reviews. We will stay here when we return.
High praise for the Yarmouth tour from the hotel.
Kevin and Karen Mc Cauley, Peabody, MA.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kkmccau
Reviewed 3 September 2009

Take their claims of being a four star hotel with a grain of salt, but this is a nice hotel. The rooms are clean, beds comfortable, and the staff freindly and attentive. Altogether a very good place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nport
Reviewed 28 August 2009

The 5 of us have travelled the world and this is hands down the most horrible front desk staff ever. We arrived at 11pm after 10 hours of flying and driving and were told that our prebooked cot was not available the first night because we were checking in after hours.
We struggled with our luggage to our room without the offer of help. When we got to our room we noticed that we were right across the hall from a supplies room. There was a staff member getting towels and right beside him were the cots. We asked for a cot and no because we were checking in after hours. We offered to move it ourselves after all it was right accross the hall and the answer was still no.
On day 2 I had the misfortune to ask the front desk staff to change a $5 dollar bill into coins for the water machine. I waited for 5 minutes while she counted the cash in her till she then turned to me heaved a sigh and asked "what do you want?" I asked for coins please for the water machine. She put the coins on the counter and walked away, she did not speak another word.
The room appeared clean but when I went to bed at night I could see a thick gross dust behind the bedside table and around the head of the bed area.
The bathrooms need renovation.
The public areas in the hotel need renovation badly.
The gym equipment is in desperate need of upgrading it looks like the equipment came off if Noah's Ark and their idea of climate control in the gym is an open window that sucks in car exhaust from the cars parked nearby.
When we checked out I forgot something in the room so as you can now imagine when I had to return to the front desk to ask to get back in the room it was an ordeal. I had to wait until they checked people in behind me in line (15min) before I could be helped because I had already checked out.

Stayed: August 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank girll11
Reviewed 26 August 2009

In late June my girlfriend and I traveled to Yarmouth to spend a night at the Rodd Grand and attend the :married to the Mob" dinner theatre. The show itself was funny, charming and very interactive. We were amazed at the quality and pacing of the food. The front dsk service was very friendly and the hotel had a rustic comfort feel to it. The hot tub was larger than many I have seen at resorts or hotels and everything was very clean. I will be back to attend future dinner theatres and hope to sample more of the great food.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Everyone at the hotel was very pleasant and helpful. We took the Cat from Portland to Yarmouth on a two night package. I can't imagine what anyone could possibly find to do in Yarmouth for more than 15 minutes, Let alone 2 whole nights. Never the less the hotel was clean, and although a throw back to the 70's. it was fine for us.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2009

We stayed 1 night in Yarmouth and the Rodd Grand was great for what we needed. It is the nicest hotel in Yarmouth and is clean and easy to get to. We could walk to a restaurant and other attractions. It is great for that one night in Yarmouth before heading on to the rest of Nova Scotia.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yarmouth
Best Western Mermaid Yarmouth
Cape View Motel and Cottages
Churchill Mansion Inn
Churchill Mansion Inn
#3 of 5 in Yarmouth

Been to Rodd Grand Yarmouth Hotel? Share your experiences!