“Central to Nova Scotia & only 40 mins. from Halifax Airport”

Best Western Truro - Glengarry
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Truro
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 October 2012

I hope you will be as fortunate as I to be checked in my Jim at the Front Desk in the evening. What a great welcome to the hotel. It is obvious that he is made to be in the service industry. Throughout my stay, I enjoyed the Nova Scotian hospitality. The staff were fantastic, friendly and cheerful.

My suite was just amazing with a seperate bedroom and living room and fireplace. Being on the main floor, I had my own private patio with table and chairs that look over the outdoor pool. The hotel also has an indoor pool and hot tub too. The suite was clean and the Housekeeper did a great job with great TLC :) I had the most amazing sleep. The bed was very comfy and the towels were great.

If you like good 'ol home cookin', you've come to the right place. The hotel had a buffet lunch and dinner with the most amazing fish, chicken and beef selections. The prices are extremely reasonable too. I think it was only $13.99 which came with soup and dessert. The dessert table is endless with a lot of favourites: chocolate, cheese cake, pies, pudding, jello and more! I tried the seafood casserole one evening and it was just out of this world. So, bring your appetite! There are 3 dining areas and the hotel and restaurant looked pretty busy. There is a coffee shop, maining dining room and a more intimate private dining area. Sherlocks Lounge was cool. Seems like everyone stops in there for a drink before dinner. It's a piano bar too. It's a very cozy and happening place after 5:30pm!

The hotel itself is located right in downtown Truro on the main street. A great location with free parking and right near the hospital too. I went to see the Tidal Bore just a few minutes from the hotel and it was just amazing!

The drive to the airport was smooth and uneventful and only 40 mins. away. This hotel is a great central point in Nova Scotia. Can't wait to return and will definately will be our stop over on our way to Cape Breton!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank TravellingSpirit2000
beaufort020, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

Thank you so much for the wonderful, detailed review of our property. Our goal is to exceed our guests expectations and our staff do their best to achieve that. Your comments regarding our friendly, efficient staff were much appreciated.
We certainly look forward to your next visit as there are lots of things to do and see in Truro. Thank you again for your very kind review. Judy

Reviewed 15 October 2012

Upon arriving at the Glengarry we were greeted by a very nice gentleman at the desk. He however did not tell us any hours of operation (pool, breakfast, etc.) which then ended up with us missing breakfast in the AM. Also when we were in our room we did our usual check over(I work in the hotel industry so I do a usual once over inspection) I will admit it is a lovely hotel for being on the older side(Lobby was gorgeous) Upon my "inspection" of the room I found a dirty pair of mens underwear in a ball in the nightstand. I took them to the desk obviously upset and he took the bag that the item was in and would "pass it along". We also had a door to the outside which is somewhat convenient but around 2 am were woken up by people trying to get into our outside door. The reason I am writing this is because when we checked out we were not at all asked how our stay was. We will however return to hopefully not be disappointed again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 648Brittany_C
beaufort020, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2012

Dear Brittany
Our sincere apologies to you for your not so perfect stay at our hotel. Our General Manager was made aware of your unfortunate incident when she returned after the weekend and called you personally to express our regreat and tried to rectify the situation. There are no excuses for the problem but we thank you for the comments on our renovations which are on-going. By the way, so you know for the next time you visit, our dining room serves breakfast all day long.
Judy

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Staying in Truro wasn't intended to be the highlight of our trip, but the quality of the Best Western Glengarry meant that this was one of the best hotels we experienced. Having arrived late, we were made to feel welcome by the reception staff, and the pool was open until late - good use was made of this facility. The room was large, modern and very clean, couldn't fault it really.

Our room key stopped working on the second day, but this was quickly rectified by the reception staff.

The car park did seem small, but there was always adequate parking available.

1  Thank robertsladeuk
beaufort020, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2012

Thank you for your great review of our property. We are glad your expectations were surpassed as this is the goal of our whole team. We are doing a lot of renovations in various areas of the hotel and, hopefully, the next time you are in Truro you will stay with us again to see what's been done. Our whole staff thanks you for your kind comments. Judy

Reviewed 20 September 2012

I stayed there in September, 2012. There were several in the group and several rooms. My room had a small bar fridge and another person also had a standard room but also had a microwave which I did not have. Neither of the bathrooms had a fan and the room got a little foggy. The rooms were clean. The beds were very new and tremendously comfortable. The pillows were large and fluffy; it was as good a sleep as if I were at home. I commented on the comfortable bed when I checked out and they said they had similar comments that same morning.

I ate supper in the dining room - it was a buffer which included beef, chicken, fish, salads, vegetables, desserts for under $20. and included coffee / tea. The staff seemed to adapt to each of the mood of each of the tables in the dining room - if the guests at the table were in a celebratory mood - then the staff adapted to the mood - if the guests were quiet and wanted to be aloof - then the staff let the have their privacy.

I did not have the opportunity to check out the pool.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Thank you so much for your kind review of our property. Our whole team is happy that you found things to your satisfaction. We get lots of compliments on our new beds and pillows and we are pleased that you had a good experience in our dining room. We are very proud of our great staff and are glad all was to your satisfaction. We are doing lots of renovations in different areas of the hotel and hope you will return to see what we've done. Thank you again. Judy

Reviewed 11 September 2012

We stayed here two nights in August 2012. The Glengarry staff were so helpful and friendly, speaking nicely to the children too. The recption staff understood that all that interested them were the pools ! We arrived quite late after a long drive, but the indoor pool is open very long hours. We made really good use of the water very early and late both nights.
The room was shingingly clean, spacious, quiet and the most comfortable beds of all the hotels we used. The air condiitoning worked everso well and easily.
Easy to find, conveneint location, lots of parking. I would certainly stay here again.

1  Thank Hopejoypeace
beaufort020, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2012

Thank you for your wonderful review of our property. We are happy we could meet and surpass your expectations. We get a lot of compliments on our two pools (especially families with children) and on our great beds. Thank you again for your comments and our whole team will be happy they made your stay an enjoyable one. We look forward to your next visit when back in our area. Have a good day. Judy

Reviewed 3 September 2012

This was our 3rd trip out east and 3rd time at the Glengarry Hotel. I can't find anything bad to say about it. We arrived with a flat tire and a staff member brought over his air compressor and pumped it up for us.. We found our room clean with microwave and fridge. The beds are very comfortable, staff very friendly, nice indoor and outdoor swimming pools and the breakfast which is included was wonderful. You got your choice of fruit salad or juice, eggs, bacon,ham or sausage, choice of hash browns, beans or hash, toast and coffee. It kept us going all day while we toured around the province. I would definitely recommend this hotel. I was traveling with my mother and my sister. I did not see the fitness center or spa. We have enjoyed both the indoor and outdoor pools

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
beaufort020, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2012

Thank you so much for your great review of our property. Due to our wonderful warm summer this year our outdoor pool was a definate hit. I am glad to hear our complete team looked after your every need and you found our property comfortable and to your expectations and ours.
Thank you for choosing us and we look forward to your next visit "down east".

Reviewed 2 September 2012

My family visited this hotel about two months ago as we have two small children and my husband is in a wheelchair. Although this hotel provides minimal "accessable" rooms, the accessable rooms they do offer do not offer double accomadations, but rather only "king" rooms which makes it difficult for a family of four. My husband, although strictly dependent on his chair for mobility, is otherwise very independant and flexible needing only an accessable entrance, spacious washroom and of course space for access to the bed. With this, often the normal rooms of many hotels are perfectly suitable. We had hoped this to be the case with the Glengarry, unfortunately it was not, but they do offer a few "accessable rooms" and so we "thought" we were safe. As anyone might guess, having a family member in a wheelchair means you MUST make sure you reserve your accessable room, as such as in this case, just any room won't do. To make matters worse, when it is a group event, such as the case for our reservation, it is not just a simple matter of choosing another hotel for your family. A reunion has been planned for eight little girls who came home from China seven years ago and this was the hotel chosen to be our reunion location. My husband and I wanted to be assured of no error in an accessable room so that we could bring our seven year old daughter to her China-sisters reunion. We feel it is important for her to at the very least be in the same hotel with our group and wanted no surprises upon our arrival. My husband and I, along with our seven and five year old made a special trip to Truro about two months prior to our scheduled reunion date to be assured we could make appropriate accomadation reservations "in person". The front desk clerk was helpful in allowing us to see the main floor double room, however it was not an option as the access to the washroom was not possible with a small doorway, etc (common in older buildings). We then looked at a King room and again the same situation. We thought we could do with the King "accessable" room so long as there was space for a cot to accommadate our family. Needless to say, once the cot is set up, there would have to be enough space for the wheelchair to access at least the bed or cot (some staff actually don't think of that). The day we visited, the accessable rooms were occupied and so we could not view them to make sure of this and the desk clerk wasn't sure himself. On the other hand, with the suite which would accommadate our family with space, we were not sure about the washroom door width and space and neither was the clerk. To play it safe we booked both the Accessable King room and the Suite until we were able to find out it a cot was going to fit in the wheelchair room. Today we attempted to find out which room was going to work for certain and the front desk tells us our reservation is for a King room and a Double room both on the second floor of the MOTEL unit for which has no elevator and is not even in the main building!! As if this was not enough to totally upset us and concern us, todays front desk clerk could care less about the situation and gave the indication that those were the rooms "we" booked!! She took no responsibility on behalf of the hotel for obviously changing our rooms in ignorance, or at the other extreme a very slack, sloppy, and inept front desk clerk who made the reservation in our presence. There is very little question in my mind that this young man who knew our concern and situation that day; who gave us the keys to look at rooms; who talked to me specifically about our request to be in the main building as opposed to the detached motel; talked to our two little girls... could ever had made the reservation for our family in two regular rooms on the second floor (no elevator) of the detached motel unit!! No, nobody could possibly be that inadequate and work for a hotel! Somebody else carelessly must have took it upon themself to change our rooms around to accommadate a more favourable customer... perhaps the lady I spoke to today who was so cold, uncaring and defensive to my emotions. The lady who indicated "too bad, so sad" those rooms are booked with large groups who supposedly have been booked for a year. When I mentioned our group and gave the name, she said "no, that is not a large group" as if to say "your business means nothing to us". To repeat to me over and over again that our reservation is on the second floor for which was absolutely no use to our family, was nothing more than a slap in the face. She only indicated "finally" after much frustration on my part that she would attempt to juggle the reservations and get us on the bottom floor of that motel unit with no indication if the bottom floor rooms were even wheelchair accessable (specifically can my husband get to the washroom and bed). With this, of course she tells me there are no garentees as people already have reservations in those rooms. The heck with the so-called reservations we had two months ago... not once did this woman offer an apology or even concern for the mishap. It was as if she was indicating we fabricated the whole thing and it was "our" fault for being stupid enough to reserve two rooms on the second floor of a building that has no wheelchair access to the second floor, let-a-lone an accessable room! Unreal.... the worst customer service I have ever experienced in my life for which has been 40+ years!

Room Tip: If you have specified a specific room, or area for that room, better check well ahead of time to mak...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank Wanda H
beaufort020, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Thank you for letting us know of this most unfortunate and embarassing incident that has occurred to you and your family at our hotel.
We could offer you a full explanation with all kinds of excuses, however, we will not insult your intelligence by trying to do so. We do, however, sincerely apologize to you and your family as we fell asleep at the wheel by not writing in your reservation "DO NOT MOVE".
Our front desk supervisor has been in contact with your husband and he is aware that we have assigned you to room 118 which is on the main floor and is wheel chair accessible. We have arranged to have a cot in the room before your arrival and will ensure it fits enabling the wheel chair to have easy access. We will also be leaving a $50.00 Best Western gift card at the front desk for you to use either here or at another Best Western property of your choice.
We do look forward to having you and your family with us for the weekend and will do our best to ensure you have an enjoyable stay. I am sure your young daughters are very excited about the event. Thank you again and look forward to your visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
Holiday Inn Truro
#3 of 8 in Truro
Tidal Bore Inn
Tidal Bore Inn
#6 of 8 in Truro

Been to Best Western Truro - Glengarry? Share your experiences!