Best Western Truro - Glengarry
US$61
US$80
getaroom.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe main hotelspecial thankssmall elevatorindoor poolnova scotiacomfortable hotelwould stay here againcomfortable bedsbreakfast was includedgreat place to staycape bretonvictoria parktruro areabwconferencehalifaxstopover
Reviewed 26 February 2014

Spent one night with a 9 year old to experience his first time in a 'real hotel'. Great service. The staff are excellent. Dining was very good - nice buffet and good menu choices. The pool and hot tub area were clean and lots of fun for a little guy. I stay here frequently for business purposes and this experience was even better (since I did not have to work). I would recommend!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Judy N, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Marina K
On behalf of our whole team I want to thank you for your great review of our property and staff. We try our best to accommodate our guest to what they expect and should certainly receive. I'm glad your little guy enjoyed the pool and dining room. Great to have a bonding time together. We appreciate that you stay with us for business and feel comfortable in coming back for leisure time.
Thanks again and hope to see you again in the future.
Sincerely, Judy N

Reviewed 18 December 2013

The staff was super friendly & professional. The exterior appearance of the motel is very good. The location is easy to get too and is central to most businesses in Truro. The restraurant serves good food and is quite to eat in and have a conversation. Beds are comfortable to sleep in. Rooms are fairly quite.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Judy N, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2013

Dear Philip B of Moncton: On behalf of our whole team here at the BW Plus Glengarry, we thank you for your very positive comments on our staff and facility. We try our best to exceed our guests expectations and are so glad we were able to make your stay with us an enjoyable one. Hopefully, you will think of us again when you come to Truro. Regards, Judy

Reviewed 14 December 2013

Don't stay here. The staff is not friendly at all. Very indifferent to whether you stay there or not. Did not treat us very well, and didn't care that we were upset. Gave us a bag of chips to make us go away. Need a place to say? Keep looking!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
3  Thank Dan G

Dan G of Toronto: Thank you for sending us your thoughts on your stay with us. I'm sorry you were disappointed with the location of your room but as I replied to your travel companion below, that is where you booked on line and we didn't have rooms left to upgrade you. The bag of chips you refer to is a gift pack of a bottle of water, a snack and a sweet to show our rewards members that we appreciate their business. Sorry you weren't happy with us.
Regards, Judy

Reviewed 11 December 2013

This is probably the largest hotel in Truro and it was apparently full. We were expecting to get a room in the main building but despite even having Diamond Club status we were put in the older motel at the back, far removed from the hotel and amenities. Since we were disappointed they gave us a gift bag with one bottle of water, a small bag of chips and two mini chocolates, big whoop. We had to search high and low for our room, not being given directions and note that rooms starting in the 200's are actually on the main floor - no elevators. Breakfast: service was good, waitress was very nice and friendly. The buffet looked tired so we ordered scrambled eggs and they were to come with homefries with onions (with nary an onion in sight). Coffee was bad so I switched to tea. Front desk staff were defensive and we did not feel they cared if we stayed there so we cancelled our remaining night. We were hoping for a nicer experience.

• Stayed: December 2013
2  Thank DandD142
Judy N, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear D&D 142: Thank you for letting us know of your recent experience at our hotel. I'm so sorry you weren't happy with your room location but as you mentioned, we were nearly full that evening and did offer you an upgrade at a bit higher rate which you refused. We do try to always upgrade our rewards memebers, especially, when possible. You did choose to book on-line for our exterior building which is at a lower rate. These rooms are being totally renovated along with the exterior by next spring so I am sorry that we were unable to upgrade you to the inside building. However, our most important intent is that our customers, especially reward members, are happy and clearly, you were not.
Our General Manager will be forwarding a cheque to you to cover the cost of your room. Thank you again for your comments. Regards, Judy

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Given my recent experience, I cannot recommend this hotel and will not be back.

My room was on the ground level, midway down a hallway off the main lobby. From my room, I could hear people coming a going to and from (what I'm assuming) a holiday party/event. While the hallways are for guests to walk, they are not for people to gather, drink and talk at all hours of the evening. Between midnight and 3 AM, these gatherings prevented me from sleeping and caused me to go out at least three times and ask patrons to take their conversations to their room. At 4 AM, another gathering woke me up and at my breaking point, I made a call to the front desk. When my call wasn't answered, I hung up and redialed "0" but again, no one answered my call. I then proceed to open my room down and ask the patrons to quiet down. I then tried my third attempt to reach the front desk and again, no one answered. Completely frustrated, I saw the full phone number on the hotel letterhead and called the actual seven digit phone number listed for the hotel. To my surprised someone answered. I asked if there was someone working the front desk at the Truro location (I assumed it was an off-sie answering centre). I was told that she was at the front desk but when i asked why she didn't answer my three calls, she didn't have an answer. I told her of the noise issues I experienced and how frustrated I was. She said she would look into it.

After getting maybe 2 hours of sleep that night, I showered, packed and proceeded to checked-out. When the front desk staff waiting on me did not mention my 4 AM noise complaint call, I asked why no one answered my three calls to the front desk. The staff person said there was a record of my call but that the evening front desk person has other duties to carry out. No apologies were provided but she did notice I returned the complimentary hot breakfast coupon I was given at my checkin. I explained I was too tired to even think of eating then left.

I waited a day to cool down before posting this. For safety and service issues, hotel staff should have picked up my three calls to the front desk. Having to call to the hotel's listed phone number to speak with someone about an issue is not reasonable.

If a patron made a noise complaint, staff (at checkout) should have proactively discussed it and not make the patron bring it up. However, as a patron, I should have reported the noise issues as they occurred and not tried to handle it myself. If I had, I wonder if hotel staff would have answered my calls? Based on my three attempts at 4 AM, I would suggest no.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs and expect little service.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank K B
Judy N, Owner at Best Western Truro - Glengarry, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear KB/Dartmouth: I want to sincerely apologize for your very unfortunate experience here at our hotel at the end of November. You are right in that the noise you experienced was a holiday party and our desk clerk did inform them to quiet down and go to their rooms a few times. We are terribly sorry that you weren't offered a full refund at checkout due to your inconvenience but, at that time, the day desk clerk didn't know the full story. We sincerely regret what happened to you and if you would contact me personally I would like to refund your stay with us. jnicholson@bwglengarry.com
Regards, Judy