“keep driving.....”

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Truro
Prince George
“keep driving.....”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

not a destination place but it was OK, just... for an overnight stay. There is a wide selection of rooms -different sized beds, kitchen or not, smoking or not, motel style or motor inn style. We chose a room on the second floor of the "motor inn". I should have looked a little more closely -the window was broken and taped up, the kitchenette walls were really dirty and overall the kitchen and the dishes and utentials were not very clean. The room and bathroom were all right, except for one of the reading lights was just a cord and fixture but no bulb. No hair dyer. I think that it is way overpriced. The check in person was friendly enough and the wireless worked well. The room was way overheated and even though we set the thermostat to off and opened the windows and put on the air con, it was still too hot and smelled a bit like burning plastic. We couldn't figure out where the heat was coming from. The TV was very small. Even though it is just off a busy street, it wasn't very noisy.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank salmonpg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

gotta be true here , i always look for a peace and quiet place to stay. And this place was the right spot for me the owner is a nice person and the staff well they are so friendly i felt like i knew them for years. If ur looking for a fun stay wel tis the place if u looking for a queen Elisabeth place ur really off the spot. The place the people made me feel like i was home and for th at i give em a high 5. Thx guys next time soon.

• Stayed May 2012
fred4408689, Manager at Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay! Please come back again!
Fredericton, Canada
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I will never darken the doors of this establishment again. I was charged the full rate when I registered, not when I checked out. I now know that before I even show my credit card I will demand to review the room before they see a cent of my money. The room was circa 1950 and that maybe generous. I have seen better furniture in a yard sale. There was no hangers, let alone a closet, and no waste basket. When I checked my credit card statement on returning home, I was charged an additional fee for reserving online. I would recommend looking elsewhere, even if it meant driving another hour down the road.

Room Tip: Should demand to inspect room before paying, they charge the room when you register, not when you ch...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
7 Thank 142RayD
We regret that you did not enjoy your stay. The motel was booked for the whole weekend and we only had one or two of our older rooms left. Had we known that your room was missing essentials items we would have taken care of that right away. The online reservation charges their own fee for use of their service.

Travellers are raving about these Truro hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 August 2011

My partner in crime and I were passing through Truro. After an entire day of driving, we felt it was best to find a place to rest our eyes. Most of the hotels in Truro were booked solid that night, and the ones that weren't were charging horrendously expensive rates. This was the only one with rates that we felt were fair.

As we walked up to the reception desk, we asked if we could get a key to see a room before we made our decision to rent it. The woman behind the counter replied "one minute, I have to go serve these drinks." Classic. This is as old-school as a place gets; the receptionist was also the bartender, and the door behind the counter led to the bar. It was straight out of one of those old video games like Shining Force or Zelda.

Anyway we saw the room, and it was normal. Clean and tidy, with no odors and no bugs or vermin, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was also clean. The shower however did not come with shampoo.

We also spent some time at the attached bar(which I should add serves exceptionally low-priced drinks). If you play backgammon, the owner will challenge you. He's mighty good at his own version of backgammon, but you can beat him at the standard version if you know what you're doing.

Overall, this place was an affordable albeit spartan motel. However, if all you are looking for is an affordable, comfortable place to sleep for the night, and you're not expecting a honeymoon getaway experience(in Truro, who would be?), then this place is about as good as it gets for the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MaestroBobCobb
fred4408689, Owner at Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 19 August 2011
Thank you very much for your kind words. It is greatly appreciated!!! Please come back again!!!
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2011

This is a well worn hotel that needs a face lift. Room are big but getting run down. While I didn't see anything that disgusted me it had a less than clean feeling? The family who runs the hotel are not what you woudl expect from the hospitality industry? When a lady who checked-in in front of me immediately returned to check out saying her room had a funny odor - the response from the cleark was "[--]AMERICANS". The small bar and restaraunt equally need to be compeltely renovated. We stayed here as there was not much else available.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank I_Roam_AB
Hi,
Thank you for posting your review. We regret that you did not enjoy your stay with us. If you felt that your room was not clean to your satisfaction we would have had housekeeping come immediately and re-do the room if you had made your concerns known to us. Since taking over the motel we have re-done the restaurant and the bar and are working on the rooms.
Dartmouth, Canada
Reviewed 4 August 2011

This place was horrible. I had reserved a room with a kitchen since I was staying over the holiday and few restaurants would be open. I brought my food along in anticipation of the stores being closed. I got a room that was dirty and that had no fridge. A stove and microwave but no dishes. It was a long and hungry weekend, since my food was not able to keep. The ceiling had writing on it no less from previous guests and the bathroom was not clean...I reserved for two nights but chose to sleep on the floor in my son's one bedroom apartment for the second night rather than stay any longer. I couldnt even check out since the front desk was unmanned and I could not get hold of anyone to let them know.. I ended up staying one night and paying for two...

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank magacr
fred4408689, Manager at Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 8 August 2011
I do apologize for any inconvenience caused; however, I do wish that we were addressed about any issues or concerns regarding your stay immediately, which would have enabled us to promtly cater to your needs.
Halifax
Reviewed 16 January 2011

My husband and I just got back from a weekend of cross-country skiing in Victoria Park in Truro. We stayed overnight at the Stone House Motel. We made our reservation online and paid over $100 (??!!). When we arrived, they had mis-recorded our reservation as a smoking room when we had reserved non-smoking. They gave us a different room. When we went to the room it was FREEZING. We turned the heat up but it took well over an hour for the room to even approach a comfortable temperature. I had to run the hot water in the shower for more than 15 minutes to get water warm enough to be tolerable. I figured our room had been cold because it had not been the one that they had reserved for us; but I'm not so sure. Despite the fact that the motel had no more than a few rooms occupied, when a group of rowdy individuals arrived sometime in the wee hours of the morning, they turned out to be int he room DIRECTLY BESIDE US. Whether they checked in first (and arrived later) or whether we checked in first doesn't matter. There was NO NEED to put us in adjacent rooms; there were plenty of unoccupied rooms. We'd gone to bed at 10 with the plan of getting up early to enjoy the day. Instead, we spent two hours awake while the people next door carried on whatever party they had arrived from. The walls between rooms are paper thin and we heard complete conversations at full volume. GIVE THIS MOTEL A MISS. I don't have terribly high standards and am willing to put up with a lot when I travel. But I do not feel like I need to spend over $100 a night to lie awake listening to idiots through paper-thin walls. There are other places you can stay in Truro for about the same price - where the rooms are warm, the hot water is hot, the walls aren't paper-thin, and the staff makes an effort to ensure as much privacy as possible. The WIFI was also unreliable and on an unsecured network.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IntentToTravel
fred4408689, Manager at Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 9 August 2011
Management will take under advisement the criticism that you wrote and regrettable you were unhappy with your stay. We would have liked to make your stay more enjoyable, however since you did not inform us immediately about the situation you expressed, we were not able to remedy these problems. The front office is open until 1:00am every day, if temporarily out a phone number is posted. We regret that you did not enjoy your stay and we would like for you to contact management about your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
Comfort Inn - Truro
#1 of 8 in Truro
Berry's Motel
Berry's Motel
#7 of 8 in Truro

Been to Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!