“Casual comfort at an affordable price.”

Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Truro
Ottawa, Ontario
“Casual comfort at an affordable price.”
Reviewed 5 October 2009

I drove all the way from Ottawa, Ontario in about 16 hours and was looking for a place to sleep at a reasonable price. At 9:30 at night I couldn't even get an answer when I rang the bell at the Rainbow motel. Several others were in the $125 to $175 dollar range which I thought was a little much to spend for a place to rest my head. It was then I recalled the Stonehouse motel and decided to give it a try. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable and the staff was casual and friendly. Breakfast in the small restaurant was cooked to perfection including whole wheat toast freshly sliced from the loaf.. If comfort at a reasonable price ($78) is what you are looking for, I would recommend it. I notice that the negative reviews are from several years back. From my experience it would appear some changes for the better have been made.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank BLinOttawa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Boston, MA
Reviewed 8 September 2009

This place was terrible! It was not at all like any of the picutres I found on the on-line booking sites. The place was very poorly maintained and uncomfortable. I would never recommend it. I'm usually not a proponent of chain hotels, but in Truro I would tell you to book one you recognize. All the rest are just too run down.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank karellymd

Travellers are raving about these Truro hotels

The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 June 2009

I stayed here during a business trip in 2007. Although my business-host emphasised that he would not have accommodated me in the Stonehouse Motel if the main motel/ hotel in Truro was not under construction, I can't say my stay was not good. The hotel staff is non-native in English, so that challenges the conversations a bit, but so am I and the rooms were ok, and the breakfast service was too. So, although some visitors clearly had other expectations, I guess that had little to do with the Stonehouse Motel. If you want to upgrade: right across the street is a hotel in a higher category. Would it be that money paid a role in the evaluations so far? Like I said: The Stonehouse is value for money.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business
dublin
Reviewed 24 September 2008

I can only concur with the other reviews. We stayed here due to desperation of no where else to stay. It was 11 O; clock at night and we have small baby and everywhere else was booked out. We were really tired and didnt want to drive any further. My god this place is such a kip. It was by far the worst place we stayed in during our three week stay to to Canada. Filthy, unhelpful staff and all for over 100 dollars a night. I was terrified to even let my baby crawl on the floor. We literally statyed in the bed and left first thing without a shower. I would suggest you sleep in your car if this is all thats on offer.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank brenika
montreal
Reviewed 1 September 2008

My family and I stayed there for a night after previous arrangements fell through. We arrived there after a 12hr drive from Montreal, it was late at night, raining and we just wanted to sleep. The Stonehouse motel is operated by a Lebanese family. Very kind and friendly they are and awfully sociable but the condition of the motel was a real eye opener! If i had to guess, I'd think this place was built in the late 50's. early 60's and it's been "shown" its age. I took several photos to show exactly what I mean. advertised as a $55/night rate, It was definitely not worth the $113.00 we paid. Our room did show signs of being renovated but there's still lots more room for improvements. Previous Stonehouse owners must have purchase what I could only describe as old McD's garbage cans(check photos). Moss growing on the roof shingles, bottles of motor oil on top the vending machine, dead tree stumps, old room furniture littered the motel grounds, etc.

I will not stay here again and I would recommend this this place if it was an emergency only!

• Liked — The owners and the bar.
  • Disliked — Nightly rates.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank MTL2theworld
fred4408689, Manager at Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant, responded to this review, 28 May 2010
hi i just read your review and im a little dissapointed in what im reading i would just like to let you know that the motel was under a large renovation last year and a new management was put in place.
Sydney, NS
Reviewed 20 June 2008

We stayed at the Stonehouse only because it was storming and we couldn't drive anymore and we couldn't find another place to stay. There were people who were under the influence of something hanging around the parking lot, yelling and being obnoxious. The room was very cold and took a long time to heat up. The sheets were dirty, it looked like pizza was dropped on the sheet and there was no one to give us new sheets as the office was closed. We also found a bug in one of the beds. However the bathroom appeared to be clean.
The person who checked us in said he would give us a deal because it was so late. I was pretty happy about this but even with the deal the room was very overpriced.
We ate in the restaurant in the morning. Most of the items we asked for that were on the menu, weren't available. The wait time was at least a half hour.
Overall the experience was horrible.

• Liked — the bathroom was clean
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
3 Thank CaperD
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 2 September 2007

We stayed in this hotel in late august for one night...which was MORE than long enough! Every other hotel was booked up, so we were limited! There was 3 of us, but all they had left was a room with 1 king size bed, and a couch... which did NOT pull out to a bed, but we didnt find that out until we said we'd take it! We were told we'd get a deal because the room had a full kitchen, which we werent going to use! The reason we decided to stop here was because the weather was bad for driving, so all we wanted to do was sleep. We werent even checked in for 10 hours at this place and the "deal" that we got at check out was something to make our eyes almost fall out of our heads! $$134. and some odd change for a sleep-over!! The next morning we headed to the restaurant where breakfast wasnt even included!! The deal on breakfast was an ok one, but almost everything we asked for from the menu wasnt available! And service was UNBELIEVABLE SLOW!! There was only one waitress and she was TRYING to do the work of three people.... I say trying because she wasnt very good at what she did do! I will never, EVER stay at this place again!! Maybe we should have slept in the car!!

• Disliked — Everything!!
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
4 Thank rEVIEWr
Also consider these accommodations in or near Truro
Comfort Inn - Truro
#1 of 8 in Truro
Berry's Motel
Berry's Motel
#7 of 8 in Truro

Been to Stonehouse Motel & Restaurant? Share your experiences!