“Expensive, lacking value for a smaller town” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Super 8 Truro NS

Super 8 Truro NS
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Truro
Harrow, Ontario
“Expensive, lacking value for a smaller town”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2011

We met up with family for a night in Truro. The plus was that they let us park a car for free for four nights. Here are the negatives....We booked the hotel through our visa points so we didn't know the price until we checked in. It was $173 in a small town, unbelievable, we had a beautiful hotel in downtown Halifax for $90 per night and were treated like royalty. We could hear the people above us as they walked and talked and the hall noise was ridiculous. We asked for extra pillows and were told they didn't have any. To top it off the continental breakfast was pretty bleak at 9:30 everything was picked over. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, no value and bare essentials. None of us had a good nights sleep. The staff were ok but the rest speaks for itself. In a smaller Atlantic town I'm sure there are better options.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank thefruitcakelady
Super8t, General Manager at Super 8 Truro NS, responded to this review, 23 August 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write you review concerning your stay with us. I am very sorry your stay was not pleasant. Please know that at any hotel you stay, if you have a problem please call the front desk right away. They can usually get the problem resolved right away for you. I agree you recieved an amazing deal in Halifax, I personally love getting deals like that as well. Again, I would like to say how sorry I am that you did not have the stay I would like all of our guests to have, one that they can't wait to come back again. Your comments will be used to improve our hotel, and service.

Super 8 Truro

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
halifax NS
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2011

i stayed here for 1 night and we had a one bedroom suite , it had a seperate place for tv and couch and mini fridge and then the bed was in the back of the room the hotel is nice and clean and in good shape but the staff checked us in and then called in the middle of the night says my credit card didnt come thru as there was an issue with there machine and i had to get out of bed to come down and try it again.. the pool is neat there is a few resturants and gas stations and a movie theatre within walking distance and downtown truro is not to far away

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to post comments regarding your stay with us. Any feedback we recieve is welcome, and we try to use all feedback to improve on our service, and hotel. It is wonderful when we recieve really good posts such as yours, so thank you again. I am sorry about you being woken up through the night. That should not have happened. I hope you will come to visit with us again on your next trip to Truro!

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

Great room with fridge, microwave, 2 comfy queens,coffee maker, entensive self serve complementary breakfast, great staff at front desk.
We were flying home from Halifax airport in am. Was about a 40 minute drive. Hotel is located on south end of Truro. Exit to hwy was right there.
Great new restaurant "Saltscapes" about 3 doors up.
Would definately stay here again if we are ever back to Nova Scotia.
We did not use the indoor pool although it looked nice.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind words about your stay with us. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to see you on your next visit!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2011

My husband and I spent a night in this Super 8 hotel two nights ago. We had been driving all day and were eager to enjoy some relaxation time. We were greeted by a young man behind the desk who was very pleasant, polite and helpful. We needed some extra pillows and towels that evening and he was quick to assist us. My husband and I spent the evening tossing and turning, and when we got out of bed in the morning my husband quickly realized what the problem had been. The boxspring on our bed was broken. We let the girls behind the front desk know and all they said was that they would let the maintenance man know. No apologies or anything. Needless to say this cancelled out our positive experience in the evening. We will not be returning here next time; customer service is indeed what makes or breaks a business.

• Stayed July 2011
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
I am very sorry to hear you did not have a good night sleep. We want all of our guests to have a great experience when they stay with us. Please know that the problem has been addressed.I agree you should have recieved an apology, so I hope you will accept mine. I also ensure all staff are aware of any guest comments, so we may look for ways to improve guest service. I want to thank you for your comments, without those we cannot improve.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2011

We stayed here for a week whilst on recce trip to Nova Scotia. We chosechose the Truro super 8 (mainly because the room price was the cheapest of all the accommodation quotes that we were quoted for) and are so glad we did.

· The room was clean with room service coming in EVERY day to make beds, empty bins & replace towels, toilet rolls & soaps etc.

· ALL the staff we came into contact with were very exceptionally friendly,helpful & nothing was too much trouble.

· The continental breakfast was more than adequate & enough for everyone.

· We didn't use the pool but it looked nice & seemed ideal for kids.

· Brilliant location

· The bed was the comfiest we had ever slept in with ample bed clothes.

· Free wifi and local calls in the room was a bonus

also the room heating\air con was good as well

If i had to think of a negative it would be that there wasn't enough hanging space for clothes in the room but we did stay for a wk & majority of guests probably stay only a night or so, so wouldn't be a problem but really it wasnt a major problem for us.

For anyone considering this hotel don't be put off by previous reviews and give it a go.

Carole & Martin

· The continental breakfast was more than adequate and plenty for everyone

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Super8t, General Manager at Super 8 Truro NS, responded to this review, 18 May 2011
I am very happy to hear your stay with us wonderful. All the staff take pride in trying to make sure everyone has a great experience, and a great time. As with any business there are always areas that need to be improved upon. The difference with the Super 8 Truro is we really care and take all of our comments to heart. They are used as a learning tool to improve in any and all ways that we can. Our guest comments are extremely important to us, I thank you so much for your kind words about your time with us. I hope we will have the opportunity to have you back again!

Chester Basin, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

Super 8 is an adequate hotel. The rooms were not spotless as could be noticed by the unvacuumed space at the head of the beds buy the night stand. Bathroom was clean and enough towels for three people.
The pool is small but the teens I was with liked the waterslide...just don't be looking to do laps!
The continental breakfast was a nice add on but it could have been better done with the addition of yogurt and a commercial toaster!
Check in was easy but check out was another story. At 8:30 I went to the lobby to find a sign saying the attendant had gone to help a guest, back in 5 minutes. I waited the 5 minutes, no one arrived back to help me. I loaded my car and came back and still no one. When the attendant appeared she threw her cigarettes in her bag and proceeded to check me out!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments. Without comments from our guests we could not improve or understand the needs of our guests. The pool is a very big draw with the 80 foot waterslide being the only one in the Truro area. Please know your comments have been addressed with the staff member involved, and have been corrected. Thank you again for your post!

Saint John, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

I've never written a review for a hotel before, but last night's stay at the Super 8 hotel in Truro, NS, was miserable of epic proportions: a bad night's sleep was had by all.

We could have stayed with family in Truro, but chose to stay at the Super 8 in order to get to bed early and have a good night's sleep after 2 days of driving and family get togethers over the Easter weekend, and before we were about to embark on our trip home. We'd stayed at a few different Super 8's before & thought we were making the right decision.

OMG if we could do it over again, we would NOT have stayed there. The hotel was clean, and like any other Super 8 (except for the lack of fruit at breakfast and the warmish coffee), but the NOISE was not to be believed. We had room 201, which turned out to share a wall with the pool/water slide area. We went to be early (9pm), exhausted, only to discover that we could hear the swimming pool revellers as clearly as if we were in the same room. Echoed shouts, children's screams and squeals, the roar of the water slide (which, once it was turned off, we realized had been muffling the screams and shouts)... it was unbelievable. At 9:15, my youngest son asked if I could please call the front desk to ask if they had quiet hours. I did, and they were kind enough to ask the swimmers not to scream and shout. There was quiet long enough for my son to fall asleep, but I listened to pool partying until after the pool closed.

At 2:30am, we were awakened by loud footsteps tramping around in the room above, and what sounded like toilet flushing and showering that went on for the next hour or so. After that, I found it nearly impossible to get back to sleep, and woke at 6am groggier than I went to bed.

I don't blame the people in the pool or the man in the room above ours. I DO blame the hotel for the obvious lack of sound-proofing. I felt like I was staying in the cheap apartment I rented in my 2nd year at university.

On the up side, the beds were comfortable and the pillows were lovely. If you stay here, request a room far from the pool, and on the top floor.

Room Tip: pick a room on the top floor, AWAY from the pool