“Excellent food and service”
Review of black spoon bistro

black spoon bistro
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in North Sydney
Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This has a variety of food and we ate there once while in town. The food is good and the service great.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This small North Sydney Bistro is truly one of a kind for the north side. We were there on a very busy Thursday night, yet the service was efficient and friendly. I had the Halibut, which was the best I have ever tasted and my partner had the Pecan crusted chicken, which she said was also delicious. The food arrived at our table hot and despite the busy crowd fairly quickly. We were very impressed.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

We had there Lobster pot pie, and a salad with shrimp. They were both delicious. The service was quick and friendly.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Waiting well over an hour after being told it was a 30 minute wait did not set it off on the right foot for me. We ordered stuffed mushrooms for starters which were good. My wife ordered the lobster pot pie and I ordered the special, panko crusted halibut. The order came and the pot pie was not hot. They took it back and through the power of either a really hot oven or more likely a microwave brought it back out hot in minutes. My wife said it was very good, even if what it really was was lobster chowder with a biscuit on top. My halibut was OK, but after eating lots of it so far on this trip, I've come to the realization that there is only so much you can do to white fish. The crust was, well, crusty, the first was firm and moist, but little flavor. And after having waited to pay the bill which clearly said "Pay your server" I was told to pay at the bar. It was the missing exclamation point to a dinner that took less time to eat than what we waited for to start with. OK to try only of there is no wait.

2  Thank RickfromDE
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Warning, this is a little place with no reservations. Any party over 4, may have a problem. We are here because she also owns a B&B. food was very good. I'm gluten free and the chef offered to make the pecan encrusted chicken without the sauce and drizzle with maple syrup. It was awesome. We had bacon-wrapped scallops first. Excellent. Ended with the peppered strawberries with vanilla ice cream. Really good!

1  Thank gretacook
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My family and I did a two week tour of the east coast and Newfoundland. On our return by ferry to North Sydney we checked into our fabulous B&B (different review) and headed for the Black Spoon recommended by our hostess Juana. What we found was a jewel, a cozy and delightful environment, fabulous staff, a wonderful owner and most of all the best food we had the whole trip. There were four of us and each of us raved about our meals. Not to mention the cost was more than reasonable for the outstanding quality of the food. I understand that they also have a chic B&B, if the quality and care of this compares to the quality and care of the restaurant then I would highly recommend both.