“Always a nive place to stay and come back to”
Review of The Clansman Motel

The Clansman Motel
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in North Sydney
Reviewed 9 May 2012

It always feels somewhat like coming home when we check in to the Clansman. friendly people, always have a smile and a warm greeting. Clean rooms. Gooid food and plenty of it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fred S

Reviewed 9 June 2011

On the way to the Newfoundland Ferry, this was AAA rated and has the location. (five minutes from the ferry docks) Reservations were quick and easy, the check-in was flawless. The room was clean but dated. Beds were new and bathroom had been modernized. The furniture and shabby exterior of the building gives the impression that money is not being put back into the motel. Wi-fi worked, TV did not, fridge was new. Overall a functional place to stay if you don't expect to be impressed.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2010

We had planned an auto tour and booked 8 months in advanve confirming with credit card and received a confirmation #. When we arrived exhausted they had given our room away. The desk clerk had our reservation info at the top of their ledger for the eve but could not explain why they gave our room away. There were no other openings and we had to sleep in our car! Avoid this place like the plague!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2010

We stayed here in August 2010 and were very disappointed in the rooms. WE found them to be old and rundown. Found excellent and cheaper accomodation at princeatprince.com in North Sydney. Beautiful 4 room suite, fully furnished. with top of the line everything.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2008

We have stayed at the Clansman two to three times a year for many years. I have rcommended it to family and friends who visit Cape Breton. The management and staff have always gone out of their way to accommodate us and our needs. The motel is clean, welcoming and the food is great!!! They make us feel like old friends when we visit..... I highly recommend The Clansman! Stay in one of their cottages..... WOW!!

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed 9 August 2007

First, the good stuff. The room was neat and clean, and beds were relatively comfortable. Everything worked that was supposed to, although the air conditioner was so loud we had to turn it off at night.
I have two main complaints. First, our room had no coffee-maker. Maybe I am spoiled, but it seems as though this should be a basic minimum of all hotel rooms. Especially since the dining room doesn't open until 7 am, and most people who stay at the Clansman are getting an early morning ferry to NL. I woke up at 5:30, no coffee, went to the lobby to see if they had any brewing for guests, and they didn't. They told me that because I had booked a "cheap" room (I paid over $100!!!!) my room didn't come with a coffee maker. I was directed to Tim Hortons. Not good enough.
The second issue I had was that they advertised wireless Internet. We tried to access it, and could see the "Clansman" link, but it was secured instead of being unsecured. I called to the front desk to get the WEP key so I could connect to it, and no-one there even knew what a WEP key was. They either should have open access, or at least be able to tell guest how to log on.
Both of these issues really grated me. But if you are just looking for a bed for the night, go for it. It will be an expensive stay (value for money), but at least the room is clean.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank eastcoasthiker
Reviewed 20 August 2006

My wife and I stayed here last year for one night prior to taking the ferry to Newfoundland. We had stayed here on three previous occasions but not since 2001. The motel has certainly gone downhill!. It appears that no money is put in to maintaining the property. Everything seems old and shabby.

On this trip we had to get up early (3:30 AM) for the 0600 ferry departure. I discovered upon trying to shower that someone had removed the shower head which made it seem like I was standing under a garden hose. I got dressed and went to the office. Naturally no maintainence person was on duty - it was 8:30 PM on Sunday. The person at reception deducted CAD $14.37 from our bill. Never did find out what this odd amount represented.

There was an old refrigerator & microwave in our room. Loud clanking noises were heard every time the compressor in the fridge cycled on. Turned it off! Then, we had water dripping from the freezer section. Finally got to sleep to be awakened at 11:45 by noise in next room. I guess there's little or no sound-proofing between rooms.

Needless to say, we won't be back again.

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled as a couple
Cambridge Suites - Sydney
Margaree Riverview Inn
Margaree Riverview Inn
#1 of 1 in Margaree Forks

Been to The Clansman Motel? Share your experiences!