“Clean but disapointing.”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in North Sydney
Newfoundland
“Clean but disapointing.”
Reviewed 9 August 2007

First, the good stuff. The room was neat and clean, and beds were relatively comfortable. Everything worked that was supposed to, although the air conditioner was so loud we had to turn it off at night.
I have two main complaints. First, our room had no coffee-maker. Maybe I am spoiled, but it seems as though this should be a basic minimum of all hotel rooms. Especially since the dining room doesn't open until 7 am, and most people who stay at the Clansman are getting an early morning ferry to NL. I woke up at 5:30, no coffee, went to the lobby to see if they had any brewing for guests, and they didn't. They told me that because I had booked a "cheap" room (I paid over $100!!!!) my room didn't come with a coffee maker. I was directed to Tim Hortons. Not good enough.
The second issue I had was that they advertised wireless Internet. We tried to access it, and could see the "Clansman" link, but it was secured instead of being unsecured. I called to the front desk to get the WEP key so I could connect to it, and no-one there even knew what a WEP key was. They either should have open access, or at least be able to tell guest how to log on.
Both of these issues really grated me. But if you are just looking for a bed for the night, go for it. It will be an expensive stay (value for money), but at least the room is clean.

• Liked — clean
  • Disliked — no coffee, no access to Internet
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank eastcoasthiker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Levittown PA USA
Reviewed 20 August 2006

My wife and I stayed here last year for one night prior to taking the ferry to Newfoundland. We had stayed here on three previous occasions but not since 2001. The motel has certainly gone downhill!. It appears that no money is put in to maintaining the property. Everything seems old and shabby.

On this trip we had to get up early (3:30 AM) for the 0600 ferry departure. I discovered upon trying to shower that someone had removed the shower head which made it seem like I was standing under a garden hose. I got dressed and went to the office. Naturally no maintainence person was on duty - it was 8:30 PM on Sunday. The person at reception deducted CAD $14.37 from our bill. Never did find out what this odd amount represented.

There was an old refrigerator & microwave in our room. Loud clanking noises were heard every time the compressor in the fridge cycled on. Turned it off! Then, we had water dripping from the freezer section. Finally got to sleep to be awakened at 11:45 by noise in next room. I guess there's little or no sound-proofing between rooms.

Needless to say, we won't be back again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shappy & run down.
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this motel!
  • Stayed August 2005, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank holyrood

Travellers are raving about these North Sydney hotels

OH
Reviewed 11 July 2006

I'd say this motel is strictly average - the whole place felt really rickety and cheap, and it's actually not much less expensive than the Best Western which is also located in North Sydney (and where we'll stay the next time we're here). It is really close to the ferry, but I didn't feel like there was much else to recommend it.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank merricat7
Toronto
Reviewed 2 March 2003

great place to stay with your family fabulous in the summer, nice poolstaff and food is great 20 mins from sydney and 5 mins from NF ferry

12 Thank Canadak9
No photo provided
Hearthstone Inn Sydney
No photo provided
Holiday Inn Sydney Waterfront

Been to The Clansman Motel? Share your experiences!