“Kind of Not Worth my Money”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Dreamcatcher Lodge

Dreamcatcher Lodge
Dreamcatcher Lodge
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Stephenville
Schaumburg, Illinois
“Kind of Not Worth my Money”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

The room was quite nice. Unfortunately for me, the one service that is most important for me was terrible - if you are looking for ANY internet then don't go here. I had to go to the local restarants just to check my email. Very noisy too with some of the locals staying in the main lodge. Bring earplugs. LIke I say, the room was mostlly excellent. A good choice over the other hotels in town if it wasn't for their problems. Hope they get things together. I might give it another try.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Mark_S36669
Stella C, Owner at Dreamcatcher Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Hi Mark. I appreciate your frustration with the Internet connection at the Dreamcatcher. It seems to go on and offline at will. I have contacted Eastlink and requested a full assessment of our system and we are committed to making whatever upgrades are recommended by the Service Technician. Hopefully, this problem is being corrected as I write this response. I appreciate the fairness to your overall appraisal. We hope to see you again in the future. Stella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

My family booked an efficiency unit for the weekend while visiting stephenville, and was so disgusted that we couldn't stay both nights; one night was enough! We even considered sleeping in the car, but I doubt our infant and toddler would enjoy that. I have spent a lot of nights in hotel rooms over the years, and I must say, this place is the worst I have even seen. I have never wrote a complaint in my life, but felt the need to warn people and maybe open managements eyes for some future change. First of all, this place is outdated with an old dirty looking furniture , outdated kitchen unit that looks like it will explode if utilized , crappy tv that didn't have a clear picture , no ac, no fans, no hair dryer, no iron , disgusting soap and not one decoration!! Ha ha .. Not even one picture on the wall. We had to hang a blanket over the front door as the amount of wind coming in was unreal. By the time we left our socks were filthy and our wallets smaller. Thanks

• Stayed March 2013
4 Thank Caper2013
Stella C, Owner at Dreamcatcher Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear Caper2013, I find it difficult to even repond to this review. To say it is discouraging would be putting it lightly. Our rooms are all in some state of progress forward due to the age of the buildings and the heavy usage. We do try our best to provide value for your money and obviously we were unsuccessful in your case. I am trying to replace furniture and tv's first so the art work will have to wait. As unlikely as it may be, should you find youself in this situation again, please contact the Front Desk Clerk and request to be moved to a newer room. I would be happy to discuss this further with you via telephone. Feel free to contact me. Best regards, Stella.

Travellers are raving about these Stephenville hotels

Golden, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

We spent 1 night at the lodge with 2 other couples. The guide book listed it with a full breakfast included. The lobby was nice, but from there it went downhill. Hallway dirty and trashy, lamps, tv, etc. were all plugged into one outlet with entension cords. We had 2 full beds. One was sloped on more than a 45* angle. The chair put you on the floor. After the shock of seeing our rooms, we asked what time was breakfast as we were headed to the ferry early in the morning, the receptionist said there was no breakfast, "it was false advertising". She did offer our money back, but at that point everyone was tired and we just laughed about the place for days.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank B C
Stella C, Owner at Dreamcatcher Lodge, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Dear BC, I am very pleased that the Front Desk Clerk offered you your money back, that is good customer service. I agree the 'wiring' situation is a bit much. Unfortunately, the building is very old and electrical outlets are limited. I will have a look though and see what can be done to improve that. I checked the Travel Guide for 2013 and it said 'breakfast buffet' which we did offer when the restaurant was open. I will make sure that is corrected for the 2014 publication. Thanks for bring these issues to my attention. Stella
Corner Brook, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012

My wife and myself and four friends had to spend a night in Stephenville on October 19, 2012. We pre booked at Dreamcatcher because a friend of ours said it was a great place to stay. We weren't disappointed. The rooms were very clean, and I can't say enough about the staff so i won't start. Some people you just can't please EVER.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank GWWhite
Stella C, Owner at Dreamcatcher Lodge, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear GWWhite, thank you from all of us for your kind review. It is encouraging to know we occasionally please someone. Your comments are well appreciated.
Gros Morne National Park, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

Had to stay here as all the other motels were full.The reviews are mostly 1 review which makes me think that these are friends of the employes or owner
.I stayed in the smoking building which was a filthy pig sty.The stair way walls all had fist or kick holes,The outside walk way to the room had chunks of plywood covering the rotten holes in the decking.The room wasnt much better the living room area had a 1970 futon chair and small table and a very old filthy couch and a cheap Wal mart tube TV.The small kitchen are was even more dated the fridge had not been defrosted in years!!!. The bedrom furniture was from the 70's and had a sticky dresser top,no AC no TV in the bedroom and just plain lousy, crappy internet, The other buildings look like they have been renovated but I think it's for curb apeal only. The rooms I would doubt very much, have been renovated SLEEP IN YOUR CAR!!! all this for around 100.00$ a night

Room Tip: sleep in your car
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
12 Thank Greyhoundlover
Stella C, Owner at Dreamcatcher Lodge, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Dear GreyHoundLover,
Although negative, we appreciate your review. It provides us with valuable information. As is noted by previous reviewers, most of whom are unknown to us, Dreamcatcher Lodge is still a work in progress. Your concerns were noted and we agreed with most. Since your stay with us, the building you stayed in has been painted inside and out and the deck has been totally replaced, The furniture and appliances are slowly being replaced. To date, most of the Tv's have been replaced. We would welcome your return to our establishment and look forward to your new review.
Deer Lake, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

A couple of friends and I stayed at this lodge for one night and thanked our lucky stars that we had only booked for one. We stayed in an efficiency unit and it was disgusting. The futon and chair in the room were filthy. We didn't even sit on them. The bathtub was white but was more grey than white and the shower head and taps were rusty. Only one small wall light fixture in the main room which didn't provide much light. Bedspreads were old and there was a blood stain on one of the pillowcases. I would never stay there again and would certainly not recommend it.

Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank rozrose007
Dear rozrose007,
Thank you for your review. As noted above, the Dreamcatcher Lodge continues to be a work in progress. You are absolutely right about the poor lighting and this is being addressed as I write this response. The stain on the bedding was rust, not blood, from one of the washers. All the stained bedding has been replaced. The furniture and appliances are slowly being replaced and over the next ten months, all of the bathrooms will be updated. We encourage you to return to our establishment in the future and we look forward to your next review. Thanks.
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

It's a pretty dated building that was never intended to be a hotel or lodge. Bad 80's decor, marginal internet access, old/small tube tv's with no remote that works. Two flat pillows per bed and the bed covers might be older than I am. Do yourself a favor and just drive to Corner Brook.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank stickycandies
Dear stickycandies,
We regret that your stay with us was not a good experience. We work hard to provide good quality and service to our guests. We appreciate you comments and we are addressing your concerns on an ongoing basis. We want your business and hope that you will try us again in the future. We look forward to your next review.

Been to Dreamcatcher Lodge? Share your experiences!