“You get what you pay for...”

August Jack Motor Inn
Ranked #5 of 7 Squamish B&B and Inns
“You get what you pay for...”
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I wasn't expecting much...we were looking for a cheap place to stay. Several reviews said the rooms were decent for the price so I figured we'd give it a shot. I'll start with positives: good price, somewhat updated bathrooms, decent size rooms (we had 2queen beds), friendly staff.
Here are my negatives: upon arrival the lady at desk tried to convince me to change my reservation for 2 queens to 2 double beds and that it would suit my husband, myself and our two lil ones.
-Requested 2 extra towels for the kids and they never got delivered. I had to later go bk and ask again for them.
-the towel rack was broken as well as both doors on the microwave stand
-tub was not thoroughly scrubbed and had soap scum stains like they sprayed cleaner but didn't scrub it off
-only one coffe mug and it was coffee stained on inside
-A/C was screwed shut and couldn't turn on...the lady tried to convince me temp was controlled on wall and that I didn't need ac as it was getting colder!!
-one of the towels was stained with god knows what
I'm just glad the beds looked clean but I don't think we'll go bk. I'd rather pay and extra $25 and go elsewhere

• Stayed September 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Dublin
Reviewed 3 September 2012 via mobile

This place was way better than I expected. The lady at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were more than adequate, they were clean and spacious. Very comfy bed and huge telly. Nice unit having to pay for parking either! Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank TSDUB
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We paid CAN $89 per night for a King Room. This was a higher price than what I believed to have heard when making the booking via phone. However, we were too tired after a long drive in the snow to haggle.

That said, the room and amenities were decent. The King size bed was very comfortable. The kitchen was well equipped. The son of the owners of the hotel even lend us olive oil for cooking for free.

We would stay there again on another trip to Whistler if we were on a tight budget again. Otherwise, we would rather stay in Whistler village for the convenience and night life if we could afford it.

Thanks and best greetings to the owners of the motel.
Dee and Sam

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dee_Green15
Edmonton
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I stayed here one night between days in Vancouver and Victoria. Thought it better to experience Whistler from this kind of price point than to shell out for Whistler room rates. The reviews about this place not being much from the road side are true for sure - it isn't. My room was nice enough, and clean enough. Though the carpet was showing its age. I was a little taken aback when they didn't have my reservation. Thankfully it was a very slow day, I might have been the only guest, so they had no trouble getting me a room. I was able to park right outside the door which is certainly convenient. This place has seen better days but if all you need is a place to sleep before heading up to Whistler or back to Vancouver it might be an option for you. It's at the South end of Squamish so that adds or subtracts a few minutes from your trip depending of course on which way you are headed.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
CANOGA PARK
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Unimpressive from the road, but our room was large, clean and well-appointed with a nice view. Proprietors were friendly and helpful. Loved the hanging flower baskets along the back walls next to the outdoor parking lot. Enjoyed the location in a quiet small town, a short drive from Whistler, and much less expensive.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank IVAN H
San Francisco
Reviewed 5 October 2011

The short version: Book yourself at this hotel, plain and simple. Clean, well appointed rooms, welcoming staff, and a great location, all at very competitive prices. The staff was more than efficient, they were warm and welcoming well beyond my expectations.

The longer version: chances are, if you're in Squamish, you're there for the great outdoors, not for a luxury hotel. Why waste your money on amenities that you will never need? The problem is that all too often there is no reasonable middle ground. Either the room is fabulous and fabulously overpriced, or it's cheap and either filthy, devoid of the things you need and the staff is either incompetent or surly.

This is where the August Jack is a pleasant differentiator from other options in the area. A family owned operation within walking distance from bars and downtown (to be honest, there isn't much of a downtown), their prices are reasonable solely on a comparison basis. My room had a kitchenette, two bedrooms, wifi, and big windows letting in a lot of light. The bathroom, carpet, and bedding were all spotless. Laundry facilities were across the hall, and it was easy to get to my room.

On the whole, I don't know how different it is from other hotels there, and imagine that they are roughly the same tier in that regard, but there is one huge feature that August Jack boasts above all else - service that transcends courtesy into warmth and genuine positive feelings.

The staff was always available to help me out, and went well above and beyond in ensuring I had a great time on my trip. I showed up a wet, bedraggled climber looking for a cheap room. Generally, people who look and smell like they have been on a three day winter summit attempt (aka homeless) don't garner much enthusiasm from hoteliers. Instead of the tepid reception I was expecting, they checked me right in, gave me a great rate on a nice room, and showed me around. This, in and of itself was wonderful, but what floored me was when they offered, totally unasked, to put my soaked gear in their industrial strength drier. I am sure they don't extend this courtesy all the time, but it is a exemplary illustration of outstanding service, and has ensured my repeat patronage any time I am lucky enough to return to the area.

For people planning a trip, this is the best of all worlds. Reasonable prices for comfortable, clean rooms, and great staff make the choice a no brainer. If you are expecting a world class luxury hotel, it's true that you might be happier in vancouver. But if you're looking for somewhere to hang your hat and enjoy exploring the spectacular beauty of Squamish, this is the place.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank evangerber
Squamish, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2011

This is a terrible place. I paid a week's rent. The room turned out to be smelly even with the windows wide open and I complained to the management and asked for another room. The owner said we would have to pay extra for another room because I used the bathroom of the first room. We left the motel and did not stay even one night. The owner refused to return the rent. I submitted a credit card claim and the entire motel charge was deleted. This motel charges $65 a night but there is a major motel on Hwy 99 two minutes north of Squamish near Wendy's that charges $75 a night if reserved online and has a pool, gym, real business facilities and is much cleaner, better furnished and more restful with a more secure parking lot, vending machines and much more that is lacking at August Jack.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank sweetae86

Travellers are raving about these Squamish hotels