“Disappointing...”

Ranked #5 of 7 Squamish B&B and Inns
Whitehorse, Canada
“Disappointing...”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

The location is really great. The owners are nice.
However. The rooms are outdated, nothing is particularly clean and most of the appliances don't really work. The pet rooms are also the smoking rooms and they smell like it!
For the price, I'd expected a bit more.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank northernlover

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We arrived in Squamish and were booked into another hotel that was unsatisfactory. Driving around Squamish we found the August Jack that had ground floor rooms with large sliding glass doors opening onto a park. Actually there are parks on four sides! We were offered a variety of rooms, all large and spotlessly clean. Some had kitchenettes and the other rooms included fridge, microwave and coffee maker. The proprietors and staff were very helpful and friendly. Downtown location within walking distance to everything, reasonable rates and clean spacious rooms, quiet, what's not to like?

R & M

Room Tip: There is a good selection of a variety of rooms. Ground floor have large glass doors.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marsha P
North Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The Service:

I booked our room (107 - ground floor - Queen with Kitchenette) over a month in advance (definitely don't need to book in advance) for my boyfriend's birthday. When I booked the room I asked if there was any possibility that I could have early access the morning before check-in. We live in North Vancouver and I was wanting to sneak snacks, beverages, groceries and a birthday cake in the room before my boyfriend and I arrived that night to surprise him. The lady on the phone (who I believe to be the owner - also the same lady that was there there the weekend we stayed) was MORE than accommodating. She was so nice, not only over the phone but when I arrived the morning of May 23rd. We were SOO IMPRESSED with the customer service and the friendliness of all of the staff the entire weekend. I had phoned a few other hotels before finding August Motor Jack Inn and none of them would grant me early access, which I am now so glad for. My boyfriend and I take monthly weekend trips out of the city and this is were we will be going from now on! Also, when I checked-in I was asked if we would like the 'maid' service over the weekend which I declined, mainly because I knew we would be doing a lot of lounging in PJs and watching sports. However, when we went to the front desk the morning of the 25th and asked for a few more towels and coffee she was more than happy to oblige.

The Room & Grounds:

Let me just say, the outside of the building nor the hallways do this hotel justice. Parts of the room are a little dated (probably because it is a pet-friendly room) and if not for that I have a feeling the rates would go WAY up. All of the parts of the room you would want to be new and clean are (most of the floors were redone, the washroom was completely redone, the kitchenette was new, beautiful and worked so well, and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have ever slept in - not joking). Oh, and also the room came with absolutely all of the dishes and cookware I needed to cook breakfast, lunches, and dinners. Originally when I called to book the room I had asked for the second floor (I read in other reviews it was much nicer and view of The Chief) but because we had a large dog with us only the ground floor suites were available to us. Thank goodness for the dog because if not for her we would not have ended up in the room we did. Our room FLOORED both of us!!! THE ROOM WAS HUGE!! The entire back wall was one huge window sliding door (with curtains that make the whole room almost pitch black which is great for sleeping in). The big sliding door opened up onto a big very green and lush community park and there is even a little area outside the sliding door to set up patio chairs and to enjoy the views and fresh air!

Overall:

As you can tell from my review we absolutely loved this hotel and will be returning many many times. From the welcoming staff and huge rooms to the great rates and overall convenience of location, I recommend this hotel to everyone. Whether you are just looking for a room to return to at the end of the night or, like us, looking for a room to catch up on relaxation you can't go wrong booking at the August Motor Jack Inn.

Room Tip: Rooms bordering the park were our favourites.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank A_boivin
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We were in Squamish for a concert and did not want to make the late night trek back to whistler. We were looking for a reasonably priced room that was quiet. The August Jack more than delivered! Large room with king size bed and full size fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Spotlessly clean and the front desk staff were helpful in getting us a cab. Excellent!

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The August Jack Motor Inn is the hotel I almost always stay in when in Squamish due to the fact it's the best value in town. The bed covers, carpet and decor may be older, but the rooms are always VERY CLEAN and comfortable. Moreover, the location is excellent as you are in walking distance of a number of great restaurants and breweries.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KitesofFury
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 22 August 2013

We arrived and were checked in no problem, owners are very nice. Hotel needs upgrades, bathrooms have been done but nothing else. The ac did not work in the first room and they moved us no problem. Rates are pretty high for the quality, we stayed in Whistler after this for the same price and a much better room.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Julie R

Travellers are raving about these Squamish hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 7 August 2013

The room that I stayed in smelled so bad! It must have been a smokers room for years and years and they just never changed the carpet/curtains/paint when they switched it to non-smoking. My parents stayed in another room down the hall, and theirs was just as smelly.

Besides the horrible smell there was also a long, black hair on the pillow case - not even hiding, just sitting right there - that made me question the cleanliness of the sheets and towels. And, the room was facing the road so there were people walking by on the sidewalk right outside the glass door (which were open to air the place out) and noise from the passing cars.

Reading the other reviews on tripadvisor, its hard to believe that they're talking about the same place. The only way I can understand how people can call this place clean, quiet and worth the cost is that there must be some rooms that have been renovated and others that haven't.

Based on my experience, I would stay anywhere else but here. Really, I would have preferred to sleep in my van because at least I know that when I wake up in the morning I won't sell like an ashtray.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are for people with pets, and are in need of renovation and some are right next to...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family