“Climbing the Chief!”

60 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 80 helpful votes
“Climbing the Chief!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We started really early which was good because we were coming down there were alot going up! Crazy mad climb going up (we took the access point from the camp ground). Great experience and would do again to get all three points in. (Short on time as needed to check out of hotel!

Visited October 2013

Long Beach, California
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 74 helpful votes
“Great Adventure”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Let me preface this review by saying I'm not in the best shape. Yes, I do enjoy the occasional hike but after years of working a desk job let's just say my physique is less than stellar.

I read about the hike online and was stubbornly determined to do it. We started off at the falls around 10:00 a.m. The path from the falls is pretty easy and I thought the hike wouldn't be that bad. Oh boy, wrong! After a two hour ascent (I told you I was out of shape) we finally made it to the top of the second peak. BTW, if you are a little weary of heights like I am, be warned you're up pretty high.

The view from the top was pretty spectacular. We sat up there and had our energy bars and drank some water. Even though it was only about 60 degrees outside, we did consume a lot of water. Make sure you bring plenty.

The going down part wasn't as bad, although my quads got quite a workout. We reached our car around 2:00 in the afternoon. So, in total, we spent about 4 hours doing this, including visiting the falls.

I'm thankful I was dressed appropriately with very good hiking shoes on. I also had hiking gloves (I'm that kind of wimpy) which were helpful when I had to hold on to the chains and also giving myself extra balance on the walk down.

Would I do it again? Heck yeah I would!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank cavvygirl
Denver, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Workout and Views!”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I hiked to the top of Chief 1. The hike is strenuous but a GREAT workout. I started up at 7:30 am and reached the top about 9 am. The morning light made for great views from the top.

Please be advised this is not a hike for beginners!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Erika W
Toronto
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Definitely worth the trip.”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

Climbed the second peak. Followed a steep path until you have to climb up ladders at one point.

Great experience. Challenging climb but well worth the effort. Wanted to do something like the grouse grind but ended up here and it was pretty cool.

Visited August 2013
toronto
238 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 438 helpful votes
“A challenging hike”
Reviewed 25 August 2013

Stairs, stairs and more stairs...rock stairs, wood stairs, log stairs...iron ladders..chains.
What goes up on this hike has to come down the same way--there are no gradual switchbacks as there sometimes are on steep uphill climbs.
So, doing this on a Sunday August afternoon, as we did it, straight off a five hour flight from Toronto, one encounters knots of people along the way, slowing the climb as the upward bound and the downward bound share the paths. It is probably better to do this hike on a weekday.
It took much longer going up--down was considerably easier and faster than I had anticipated.
At the very top of the first peak there is a stretch of vertical rock with nothing to grab onto..not such a big problem going up, but awfully slippery coming down. It would be nice to have had a chain there, too.
The views are beautiful from the top and the drive along the coast to Squamish is also very picturesque.

Visited August 2013