“Good Halibut Lousy Service”
Review of Fish on Fifth

Fish on Fifth
Ranked #10 of 85 Restaurants in Sidney
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I have visited Fish on Fifth each time I visit Vancouver Island. It has had it's up and downs but still in my opinion serves one of the best Halibut and Chips anywhere. The last couple of times service has been less than good. This time it was dreadful. I was dining alone as I often do while traveling and had to wait at the door to be sat for more than 10 minutes much longer than others coming in after. Once seated I waited almost 30 min before a waitress noticed me and asked if I had been served. I was happy to order before they lost me again. I ordered my favourite Halibut and Chips very expensive but usually worth it. Also had a local beer. Food came in good time. Halibut was excellent frys ok. Waitress came buy asked if I wanted another beer which I did. It did not come until well after my lunch was finished but I did manage to get it down. The last straw was when a couple who came in long after me were offered a apology for their wait and a free drink. After being given the bill without me being asked how my meal was or if I wanted anything else I decided to go up and pay my bill. While not usually worth the hassle I complained about the service particularly about not being given a apology. To their credit they were very apologetic and offered to reduce my bill. The restaurant is clearly under staffed and I don't blame anyone but the mgmt. Will try it again next year and hope it gets back its old magic.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I confess that I come from an area with really good seafood. If that makes me have high seafood standards, so be it.

That being said, I was not wowed by this place. Service took a bit of time (no big sin, but other restaurants do it better), and the flavor was just all right. If this had been a Long John Sliver's meal, I wouldn't have been so harsh, but it wasn't sold as such.

If you're in the area for more than a short stay, you might find your way over here. You may not be disappointed, but I doubt you'll be impressed.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Ate dinner with the entire crew. Two had fish and I had a salad. The fish was very good and the fries were excellent. We had heard other crew members recommend this restaurant and we were not dissapointed.

Reviewed 4 September 2013

On our way to Victoria, we stopped Sidney lunch. We picked this small fish n chip palce from the navigation system from the rental car. It turned out to be a good pick. We had several oreders of fish n chips. The halibuts were the best.

We also likes the clam chowder. The chowder has small claims instead of chunks of large claims. The small claims taste better.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

This funky little restaurant in Sidney on Vancouver island is really worth visiting. Excellent fish and chips including the best gluten free batter ever! Nice staff as well. Go on Thursdays and you can enjoy the Thursday evening street market afterwards :)