“Love the Halibut”

Ranked #10 of 85 Restaurants in Sidney
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We visit Sidney two or three times a years and always include on dinner at Fish on Fifth.

As we live the SE USA we don't often eat Halibut and FonF offers fried or grilled fish as well as options such as sweat potato fries with the Fish & Chips dishes. Many other sea food items are on the menu. We've eaten in and have taken out.

Salmon and other fish selections are offered.

It's not as inexpensive as you might guess by looking at the exterior but we've found the food and service to be excellent.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We go to the Sidney Market at least once a year and traditionally we eat at Fish on Fifth. Even though it is busy on market days it is work the wait. Excellent Fish and Chips, can get your fish almost any way. Always good food and service.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We ordered some fish and chips for take-out on our way to the ferry. The food was good. the service was a little slow, maybe not experienced enough. The atmosphere is casual and adequate for a family outing.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I have visited Fish on Fifth each time I visit Vancouver Island. It has had it's up and downs but still in my opinion serves one of the best Halibut and Chips anywhere. The last couple of times service has been less than good. This time it was dreadful. I was dining alone as I often do while traveling and had to wait at the door to be sat for more than 10 minutes much longer than others coming in after. Once seated I waited almost 30 min before a waitress noticed me and asked if I had been served. I was happy to order before they lost me again. I ordered my favourite Halibut and Chips very expensive but usually worth it. Also had a local beer. Food came in good time. Halibut was excellent frys ok. Waitress came buy asked if I wanted another beer which I did. It did not come until well after my lunch was finished but I did manage to get it down. The last straw was when a couple who came in long after me were offered a apology for their wait and a free drink. After being given the bill without me being asked how my meal was or if I wanted anything else I decided to go up and pay my bill. While not usually worth the hassle I complained about the service particularly about not being given a apology. To their credit they were very apologetic and offered to reduce my bill. The restaurant is clearly under staffed and I don't blame anyone but the mgmt. Will try it again next year and hope it gets back its old magic.

Reviewed 12 September 2013

I confess that I come from an area with really good seafood. If that makes me have high seafood standards, so be it.

That being said, I was not wowed by this place. Service took a bit of time (no big sin, but other restaurants do it better), and the flavor was just all right. If this had been a Long John Sliver's meal, I wouldn't have been so harsh, but it wasn't sold as such.

If you're in the area for more than a short stay, you might find your way over here. You may not be disappointed, but I doubt you'll be impressed.