“awesome”

Ranked #5 of 85 Restaurants in Sidney
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Pier Bistro in Sidney B.C. is located literally right on the Beacon Pier itself. We offer a casual waterfront dining experience with panoramic ocean views of the Gulf Islands. We serve unique and tasty entrees like Award Winning Seafood Chowder, Crab Cake Bennies, Gourmet Salads and a variety of Fish n' Chips to name a few.
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was leery about going there at first but did anyway.and all I can say is wow the sevice was AWESOME and the food matched.Erica was fantastic she made me and my wife feel like we were at home for a small resteraunt they rock if I lived here I would eat there at least once a week great love it.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

You would think this charming looking restaurant as close to the water as possible, would have fresh seafood and friendly staff. You would be wrong.
The crab cakes were frozen store bought crab cakes. The server did not tell us this even though we asked multiple questions about the crab cakes.
The server was rude and argumentative. There is no "the customer is always right" here. As we were paying the server told us "just pay and go" because we were expressing our dissatisfaction. We were told a Manager would come talk to us but the Manager did not so much as acknowledge us.
This was a day ruining type of experience.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

Being new to the area, I decided to try my first tasty meal of fish and chips in Sidney. Over on the west coast, I ate at the same establishment for six years, so I am picky about the quality and quantity of my fish and chips. My halibut was moist, battered crispy and golden, served with fabulous tartar and fries. The service by Erica and Tannis saw me share why I had relocated to the Island. I engaged in friendly conversation and really enjoyed sitting at the outdoor patio. My time at The Pier Bistro, meal presentation and value of what I ordered, will see me return!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

The location of this restaurant is great, the inside is quite charming, the food is not too bad. Crab cakes are fabulous, the seafood chowder super. Desserts aren't spectacular.
We sat by the window and watched the water turn a deep sapphire blue as the evening wore on. Jumping fish could be seen leaping up to catch small flies sitting on the surface.
The view makes this place worth while. But I'm unlikely to return.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Ordered the seafood medley as I love all types of seafood (am a native Victorian). The trio of seared salmon and halibut, and a crab cake was supposed to come with a brandy cream sauce. It sounded good to me and I was looking forward to the crab cake as I had asked the waitress about their crab cakes (I am a bit of a crab cake snob and did not want one with a bunch of filler). She told me it was good and it would have been if one side had not been burnt. The burnt side was hidden face-down on the plate, and the salmon and halibut were laid across the top. When the meal came, I could not see nor taste any brandy cream sauce, and a cream sauce has a definite texture and brandy has a definitive taste. When the waitress came by, I told her that I thought they had forgotten the cream sauce. She said she would check as there was not sauce visible on my plate. She came back and said that the cook told her he had put the sauce on my fish. I told her I would try a few more bites in case some small amount of sauce had actually made it to my plate and soaked into the fish. It hadn't. Both the halibut and salmon were overcooked; fish should be soft and flaky, not tough. And then when I reached the crab cake and took a bite (as it looked very good from the top), all I got was a burnt taste. If a cook ruins a dish, he should be smart enough not to serve it to the customer and take an extra couple of minutes to cook another crab cake. I would have gladly waited to have a properly prepared meal. The 4 others in our party had halibut and chips and my husband and daughter both found the halibut overdone. We dine out very often ( from casual to fine dining) and were severely disappointed in this meal. It is not cheap but the food preparation certainly was. I will not return to this restaurant and will not recommend it to others.