“I had a terrible time....”
Review of Carlos Cantina & Grill - CLOSED

Carlos Cantina & Grill
Price range: US$10 - US$19
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: Carlos Cantina & Grill offers a great location & atmosphere with delicious authentic Mexican cuisine. This busy restaurant in the heart of Sidney has been open at the same location for many years & enjoys an outstanding reputation for good food & a loyal following of clientele. The business boasts a consistent top internet restaurant ratings rank, such as the Urban Spoon & Groupon, within the Victoria area for Mexican food. Opening hours are reasonable & the kitchen is organized & fully equipped. Lovely outdoor seating, that takes advantage of the beautiful evenings in lovely Sidney By the Sea, including the popular Sidney Summer Markets, that run Thursday evenings during the summer season right outside its door.
Reviewed 22 July 2015

My boyfriend and I went to Carlos Cantina the other night. The experience was so bad that I had to sign up to tripadvisor to share my story. I'll start on a positive and say that the atmosphere is fantastic, and in the times I've eaten there previously, the food was great. When we arrived we were told that there would be a little wait that was "no more than half an hour." We had a server who was unprofessional and sat down at our table and was a very close talker who liked to share about her personal life. After an hour we saw our meals come out of the restaurant to the patio where we were sitting, and even though the our server had double checked with us minutes before to reaffirm what we'd ordered, she proceeded to give the only other couple outside our food. This made no sense, because they had shown up 30 minutes after us and ordered fish tacos (quesidillas and burritos do not look like fish tacos). The server didn't seem to notice her mistake, until she brought us the other table's meal. I said that it wasn't ours, and the other table confirmed that yes, the orders were switched. This was when the chef came into the restaurant, yelled at the server, and offered us the tacos at a discounted price. On the bright side, the other couple said that the food was delicious.

1  Thank Isla R

Reviewed 10 July 2015 via mobile

I visited Carlos cantina and grill on a Thursday, night of the street market with my boyfriend and little girl. We sat outside because inside was full. I called to make reservations knowing it would be busy but they do not take reservations on Thursdays.. We took our chances and got a seat. The service was beyond horrible through and through... It took them over 10 minutes to even bring us a menu, they only had two choices in the menu on market night. We made our choices and waited close to an hour for our food to arrive. Meanwhile no one came out to let us know if it was coming or to top up our water. When the food arrived my daughters dish looked massive, so I asked if this was from the children's menu (she's 6) the waitress apologized she wrote down the adult version, and said she would get the manager to adjust the bill because we ordered from the child's menu. I was happy with that, then not sure if it was the owner or manager came out very upset and asked us how we didn't realize it was off the adult menu because the waitress asked if she wanted soup or salad with it?! I assumed the children's dish which was a taco came with that. She was so rude and stormed away! Right away that made us very feel very uncomfortable... The food was amazing none the less and then when we went to pay (cash only??) she threw our bill at us! My boyfriend paid and when he gave her some money for a tip she glared at us and didn't even say a word of thank you! I was so offended at her attitude. I personally wouldn't have left a tip but we felt bad for our waitress because she was doing her job. Unfortunately this experience ruined our dinner date, if we ever go back it will be take out because you deffinetely do not get good service here!

3  Thank Canadiangirl777
Reviewed 30 June 2015

If you like Mexican food or want to try Mexican food this is a good place to start! It is small in size to large in taste and atmosphere!

They have an awesome Mole as well as other traditional Mexican fare. Don't be afraid to try something different or share with a friend!

Reviewed 13 May 2015

We read the reviews and thought we would give this restaurant a try since we love this style of food. Small but very well run and clean. Waitress was on the ball and took care of everyone despite it becoming very busy. Food was fresh and well prepared. Being a small place it was not unusual to be joining the conversations around the room. It will be a go to place when we are in town. Just proves small can be great!

1  Thank RosebudMapleRidge
Reviewed 10 May 2015 via mobile

Slightly off the Main Street, smaller and a bit eclectic...it all added up to excellent food, conversations and flavours. We both had the baked corn tortilla wrapped enchillada's with a choice of 2 different sauces each. Well, they all were great and topped off with a nice very cold lime margarita made for a great end to a great day. Highly recommended.

1  Thank PartagasCat