“Good coffee, great staff”
Review of Stonestreet Cafe - CLOSED

Stonestreet Cafe
Cuisines: Contemporary
Description: Best soup ever!
Description: Best soup ever!
Victoria, Canada
“Good coffee, great staff”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Sidney is a tough market to crack if you're an eating establishment - they're a dime a dozen in this tiny community, and you have to have some type of 'draw' if you're going to last very long. The food at Stonestreet Cafe isn't what I'd call extraordinary - the menu is of the fairly typical soup/salad/muffin/specialty coffee variety - but the outside tables are pleasant and the location (especially if you're on foot) is prime. The specialty coffees and soups are very good, and the butter tarts a personal favourite. What puts the bloom on the rose here, however, are the staff. Friendly, smiling, and helpful - that often gets me in THIS door, and walking past others.

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank tsarshadow

Quebec City, Canada
“mismanagement of tables”
Reviewed 9 January 2014

2 tables of 6 places occupied by only 2 people each. 1 table of 4 occupied by 2 people. 1 table for 3 given to 2 people arrived after you... What is the problem when you are 3 ???
Wanted 3 tuna sandwiches : "no beef, no turkey, to tuna, no... today". Only eggs !
Ok 3 eggs sandwiches... but they were good.

Visited December 2013
Sidney, Canada
“Good eating, well located”
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Stonestreet provides fresh food served by friendly staff. The busy space is not large but the outside tables get the sun most of the day. The owner, Doug, is often onsite, though usually looking after the super popular catering side of the cafe. The house salad is my favorite.

• Visited April 2013
Vancouver Island
“Stale Bread and Tasteless Sandwich”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

My husband and I dropped into this restaurant last Sunday for a quick bite to eat. We were pleased to see that the place was quite full which is usually a good reference. The staff greeted us with a very friendly attitude and took our order politely. Sadly it was then that our positive experience ended. I ordered a tuna sandwich and when it arrived it was so huge and over stuffed with greens that I could hardly eat it. If the bread had been fresh it may have been easier but the bread was so stale that it broke apart. It seemed that the mashed tuna had no additions to moisten it up and frankly apart from the massive amount of greens the sandwich was completely tasteless.
My husband had a chicken wrap and he said it too was tasteless.

When I mentioned to the staff that the bread was stale and which was obvious as all the crusts were piled on the plate, he just said oh...thanks for telling us.

I notice a lot of positive reviews but we won't be returning anytime soon.

• Visited November 2013
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Impressed with Salad”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This is a bustling place--probably not the best for a romantic tete-a-tete. My husband and I had lunch here on October 12 at a very busy time. Service was terrific, friendly and helpful, and the food was scrumptious and plentiful. I ordered the salad of mesclun, chickpeas, almonds, cranberries and feta with a light orange-sesame dressing (only $8.50). It was huge. I ate 2/3 and my husband got the rest. It was impeccably fresh and unbelievably tasty--my idea of heaven on a plate--the best salad I had on my trip and I tried many in two weeks.

My husband had the tuna panini special with a small bowl of corn and chicken chowder. The soup looked super thick and he enjoyed it but found the tuna sandwich a bit dry. He, too, gobbled up my salad offering. I'd eat here regularly if I lived close by. I recall eating here several years ago, also leaving with a favourable impression. To keep quality and consistency over time is a challenge not often met by restaurants, so well done Stonestreet!

• Visited October 2013