“Beautiful space and very friendly staff”

Beacon Inn at Sidney
Ranked #1 of 8 Sidney B&B and Inns
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Beautiful space and very friendly staff”
Reviewed 5 September 2011

My husband and I stayed here in the Saltspring Suite on the last stretch of our honeymoon. It's a very romantic setup, with a 2-person tub, cozy rooms, beautiful views of the city and a royal Victorian aesthetic. The breakfasts were filling, the staff extremely nice and helpful, and the area very laid-back and perfect for a couple days' stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Washington, DC
Reviewed 24 August 2011

We stayed in a ground floor room and was extremely pleased. Staff, breakfast, room were all superior.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 17 August 2011

From the minute we arrived we were treated like royalty by the friendly staff.

The room, a beautiful suite, was well appointed and wonderful. From the comfortable bed to the large soaking tub we enjoyed it all. Everyone should have a romance rekindle weekend like the Beacon Inn can provide at least once a year.

The breakfasts were great. Perfect before heading out to the nearby bookstores, shops and the Ocean Centre in downtown Sidney. There are also a number of wonderful restaurants nearby for a range of tastes and budgets.

I liked the room most and the friendly staff -- no stuffy formality, just friendly and helpful.

The weekend would have been absolutely perfect if it was warmer and sunnier. In summary: I'll be back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 June 2011

very nice inn. clean with friendly staff.
breakfast not enough to keep you full though, you will need a snack after leaving in the morning

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I've gone back and looked at the reviews of the Inn and I can't believe we are talking about the same place. We arrived within the check in hours, but it took some knocking on the door to get someone to open the 'forever locked' front door. Our first floor "suite" was a small, musty space, with furniture well past its prime. The ridge in the middle of the mattress suggested it was over do for replacement. The bathroom was bright and overstuffed...shower and spa tub. Space was at a premium. Breakfast was a total miss. A tad of friut covered with yogurt, juice, one english muffin covered with a cooked egg and cheese mixture and then broiled, it couldn't hold a candle to a value breakfast meal from McDonald's. But then Mickey D's didn't have a melon slice garnish slice so thin you could read through it. Even the sherry at five can't hide the fact that the Inn is over priced and, with all due respects to previous reviewers, over rated.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank HelvetiaCH
InnkeeperSidney_BC, General Manager at Beacon Inn at Sidney, responded to this review, 22 June 2011
Please excuse this lengthy response, however for the benefit of other travellers, I cannot allow such inaccurate and misleading claims to stand without comment. I must admit, I had to read this review several times over, certain that the reviewer had mistaken our property with another during their travels. I will start off by stating that it would be virtually impossible for a property to be awarded a 5-Star rating such as ours, to maintain this highest of ratings, if the assertions made by this reviewer were accurate, and I truly believe that those reading this review will be savvy enough to realize this truth. I will address the points made by the reviewer below:

Our front door is indeed kept locked, this is for our security, and even more importantly, for that of our guests, and it is for this reason that we have a clear notice at the front door to "Please Press the Call Buzzer for Entry". Once a guest has checked-in, they are provided with a key to our front door so they can come and go freely.

As we are a newer property (mock-heritage style), we are very fortunate and happy to say that we do not have a "musty" smell on our premises, as can sometimes be present in older buildings, and I dispute this claim in it's entirety. Also noteworthy, 8 of our 9 units are "guestrooms", with our one and only "suite" located on our 3rd floor. At no time have we ever suggested, or implied that a "room" was a "suite"... if this reviewer was for some unknown reason, expecting a "suite", then their well appointed and spacious "guestroom" could have been perceived as small for a "suite".

As a 5-Star property, we are subject to stringent (surprise) inspections, where everything from cleanliness, condition of the paint on the walls, to the condition of our mattresses and furnishings are scrutinized. We are proud of the fact that we have passed inspections with flying colours each and every year since being awarded our 5-Star rating. I would encourage anyone considering a stay with us, to view our rooms on our website and take a "virtual tour", to explore each room as if you were actually there, including the room occupied by this reviewer, our Pender Island room.

Our breakfasts....we provide a "complimentary" set menu, full breakfast, consisting of bottomless coffee or tea, juice, fruit, or fruit/yogurt starter, followed by a hot main course, which varies daily, as well as granola for those who enjoy cereal. Typically, an Inn or Bed & Breakfast will provide fare that is different from the "usual" breakfast fare, yet there are always a small minority who would prefer something different than what is offered.

Lastly, I would urge anyone seeking area accommodation to do their own research and judge for themselves... we are competitively priced, and some would say a bargain for a 5-Star property!

In closing, I would have appreciated the opportunity to personally speak with the reviewer at the time of their stay, to understand exactly how their 1-night stay could have warranted such a mean-spirited attempt at tarnishing our excellent reputation.

Thank you.
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2011

This was not my first time at the Beacon Inn but this time I arrived suffering from a full blown flu over the Easter weekend. As soon as the staff were aware of my poor health, they immediately wanted to ease my ill health. They couldn't do enough for me and were genuinely concerned. The lovely woman on the desk made me a cup of tea (after finding out what type I preferred and what I might like to go with it), accompanied by some lovely Island honey and cut up orange slices (for extra vitamin C) -- see how thoughtful? She also turned down my bed for me since she knew I'd be staying in bed. They left some orange juice in the fridge for me to help myself to and overall were amazingly caring. Being away from home when this sick is difficult but they were amazingly helpful and caring and tried so hard to make things easier for me. As usual, the breakfast, the clean room, and pleasant staff were a treat.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank fromHythe
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I had a room booked and had to cancel. Although they had a 48 hour cancellation policy, which I missed, the staff member was cheerful and did not charge me. I really appreciated the gesture!

Next time I'm in Sidney I will stay here. It came highly recommended from a local business person.

Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank AnnieSaltSpring
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidney
The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,158 reviews
Quality Inn Waddling Dog
Quality Inn Waddling Dog
#2 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Beacon Inn at Sidney? Share your experiences!