“Wonderful surprise”

The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sidney
Reviewed 27 September 2007

We only stayed one night and regretted that we didn't have more time. The hotel is fabulous and the staff are great. It is well situated and the town of Sidney was also a wonderful surprise.
We will be staying at the Pier again.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sk User

Reviewed 17 September 2007

We stayed at the Sidney Pier for one night in September prior to heading over to Salt Spring Island for a wedding. I only wish that we could have stayed longer -- and plan to stay there again on our next trip out to Vancouver Island.

We were greeted politely at the reception, and rapidly checked into our room. Despite staying in one of the least expensive rooms in the hotel, the room was amazing -- attention to detail was fantastic. I particularly enjoyed the extremely comfortable bed, the extended suitcase shelf and the view of the water. The bathroom was gorgeous -- I would like to move it into my home, with the spacious rainshower. Also, the toiletries were really nice -- I have completely forgotten the name and would love it if someone could enlighten me. I think they referenced Salt Spring, maybe. :-)

Breakfast also was great -- I liked the continental buffet in combination with the eggs benedict.

My only complaint was with the spa -- not precisely a part of the hotel, so I haven't downgraded the rating. I called in the morning and was really excited when they could fit me in for a quickie manicure in my tight pre-wedding schedule. I then went down to the spa and waited for 35 minutes past my appointment time -- I ended up getting an extremely rushed mini-manicure. So I might, in future, go elsewhere for these sorts of services, or plan them only for a day with a lot of time.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank adnelg
Reviewed 7 September 2007

We were passing through Sidney on our way back to SeaTac Airport and only stayed there for one night. The hotel and staff were so great we would have liked to stay longer. The hotel is contemporary in design and we found the decor very nice and calming. We had a balcony which overlooked the Cannery, but we also had a nice view of the sea. Loved the single serve coffee machine once we figured out how to use it. The hotel has free covered (underground) parking which is something I've never seen at a hotel of this caliber. It is less than 5 minutes from the Anacortes Ferry. We had dinner at the Rumrunner Pub. It was the best meal we had on our trip. We would like to go back to Sidney some day and look forward to staying at the Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jmb4534
Reviewed 30 August 2007

This is a new hotel so we wanted to give it a try and we were very pleased.
Excellent location.Beautiful views
Very nice decor and well appointed rooms.
Peaceful and serene.
The restaurant ,Haro's was most delightful
Would stay again in a heartbeat

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank islandrockin
Reviewed 26 August 2007

We arrived after the short trip from Vancouver but this place felt like a million miles away - so quiet and peaceful. The hotel only opened earlier this year and quite modern and very comfortable - we were very impressed with the spacious room with sea views and even more impressed when a member of staff knocked on the door to give us cherries and chocolates. We didn't actually eat in the hotel as there are some nice places right beside it but the restaurant and cafe looked nice and there was a menu for self catering rooms were you could order up the ingredients. The hotel is well situated beside the Pier where you can go whale watching (the hotel staff highly recommended Emerald Sea Adventures and we weren't disappointed). This is a very well run hotel and the staff were only too happy to give advice or help out. Very handy also for the bus to Victoria and the ferry terminals.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RWMCC
Reviewed 30 May 2007

We stayed at this stunning new property in the last week of May. Amazing that it had only been open for a few weeks. The staff were extremely helpful and gracious and made sure we were well looked after. Everything about the place feels like quality; from the building itself, to the chattels in the rooms, to the services like the spa and the restaurants. We have stayed at a few other places in Sidney and think nothing even comes close to this. Our room; granted not the cheapest of the options, was beautiful. We had lots of room for the 2 kids and us and enjoyed the spectacular views of Mt Baker and the islands. We want to go back just to have more meals in Haros and the Bistro. I had a couple of lovely treatments in the spa and even managed a bit of a workout. Definately the place to stay in Sidney.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank ColumbusNz
Reviewed 26 May 2007

We travel to Vancouver island each spring and the last number of years have stayed in Sydney. This year we tried the brand new (opened May 1, 2007 we checked in May 12) Sydney Pier Hotel.
This is a combination hotel and condo property centrally located right next to the pier on the water.

The hotel is very modern with sleek neutral coloured rooms and an interesting array of gadgetry that befuddled many of their demographic (Sydney tends to appeal to an older semi retired and retired crowd). As I waited in line at the desk for some of our issues to be resolved I overheard the staff patiently explaining the workings of the safe, coffee maker and TV video players. We were unable to figure out the ultra modern coffee maker which spewed hot water all over the table dispite our best attempts. Thank goodness for the coffee shop on the ground floor.

The staff were extremely charming and determined to help you have a pleasant stay but they were up against some difficult issues. The elevator made horrific grinding noises prompting several of the guests to take the stairs. The reservervation service was unfamiliar with the property. We had specifically asked for a room with a balcony overlooking the water and the sea walk. We got a room, no balcony, not much of a view. The staff made an attempt to find us the room we specified but I'm not sure it exists.

Other nice touches were some lovely throws on the beds, bottled water in the fridge and some designer tea, a kettle, window shades and blackout curtains. Personally I loved the high tech lcd tv,vcr. As hotel rooms go it was quite quiet and comfortable.

We usually stay in the Waterfront Hotel (across the street) in the Cannery rooms which are exceptional. They are large with a deluxe bathroom (jacuzzi and separate shower) and a small kitchen. I am sorry to say the Sydney pier suffers in comparison (being designed as a typical hotel room).

Overall it has a excellent location, pleasant helpful staff, spacious parking, and opening jitters. I expect the Sydney Pier will improve and settle in with time and I wish them the best of luck. But for us we will pay the extra $$ and move back across the street.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank lady_travel_writer
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidney
Sidney Waterfront Inn & Suites
The Cedarwood Inn and Suites
Best Western Plus Emerald Isle Hotel
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 49 in Victoria
Westin Bear Mountain Victoria Golf Resort & Spa
Victoria Airport Travelodge

Been to The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!