“Classy Waterfront High-Tech Hotel”

The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sidney
Larkspur, Colorado
“Classy Waterfront High-Tech Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 September 2012

Except for the absence of front desk personnel for ten minutes when I arrived for check-in this was a great place. The room was pricey but it had a Carmel/Pacific Grove feeling which has much more expensive lodging. This hotel room had great views of the Gulf/San Juan Islands. Their pillows, beds and towels were a cut above and I respected that they encouraged guests to recycle their waste. Dave the hotel's mascot, was a giant black Labrador. We stayed here and went to Butchart Gardens twice (20 min to and from). We walked to another seafood restaurant on the waterfront which was very handy. Within same structure as Salish Aquarium which had easy underground parking. Mineral store across the street was fun. This hotel is also five minutes from the Washington State Ferry terminal in Sidney.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view room, not that much of a price difference.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Oceandweller7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Ladysmith, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2012

When I booked this hotel I asked for the top floor, which we the 4th floor as the condos are on the top floors. No problem, then I asked for a suite overlooking the sea side, as well as the marina. No problem, they would see what they could do, but not promising. Asked if we could get in earlier, no problem....When I've asked for specific things at other hotels I was always accomodated. My disappointment started when we arrived at 2:30pm, Sept. 22/ 2012. My husband went to the front desk and was told our room wasn't ready, and they would call us. We sat in our car and waited. At 3:30pm my husband went to the front desk again, and was told; "our check in is at 4:00PM". So we waited again. I have never been treated this way, anywhere in the world. And we have been to a lot of cheaper places and treated much better. When we were handed our room key, finally, at 4:00pm the room was on the 2nd floor, and not overlooking the marina. I went back to the main desk and asked why we were on the 2nd floor. It was explained to me that they were booked in those rooms and couldn't accomodate us. I'm sorry but when I booked this suite there was lots of availability for this type of room and I see no reason why we didn't get what we asked for, except maybe the desk clerk was upset with us for being too early to check in. He made us feel like second class citizens.
The room... is very nice, but... the bed is hard and we both woke up with sore backs. Very cheap beds. The DVD in the bedroom did not work, so we tried, to be comfortable lying on the sofa in the living room to watch a movie. The room is ok, for the price; $329 + Tax is not worth this place at all. We ordered pizza, much cheaper then room service. One place I would recommend; The delta, ocean point. Much nicer and less expensive. Again very dissappointed at the way we were treated here. I agree; very much over rated! Also... I asked about the specials they had on their website; I was told there wasn't any specials, then I was told they're not available for my selected day. Ok... when are they available..
Also, certain sites you cannot access on the internet; ie; loto max, just wanted to check our tickets. what's wrong with that?

Room Tip: Don't pay for a suite, not worth the price, go somewhere else, drive into the city of Victoria...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jeannine S
PierJoey, Director of Rooms at The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Jeannine,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and for talking with me on the 24th. We do try our very best to honor all check-in, floor and location requests however as a small hotel it is not always possible to accomodate early arrival/specific room requests, particularly during periods of high occupancy. We do not have any hotel rooms that have views of the marina in our inventory - that side of our building is solely residential condominiums. I apologize that this was not explained to you when you originally made the reservation, and have followed up with the Central Reservations Center (as your reservation was not made directly with the hotel). All of our Guest Experience Agents take great pride in providing genuine and caring guest service and I can assure you that it was not their intention to have you experience anything less.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Sidney Pier, and appreciate your feedback.

Joey Thiessen, Director of Rooms
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2012

Great location for walking the ocean blvd and shopping, restaurants. I met with a client in my room, plenty of space with a couch and table with three chairs for a casual conversation/meeting. Clean and modern. Will stay again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Eugene
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2012 via mobile

Not quite worth the price of a sea side view. The room was ok but the bed was cheap. Not worth the cash. Its not very busy but the location is just ok. The service was nice though. Next time ill be staying in a B an B I think.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank david e
calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2012

We stayed in a double queen room. It was not an Ocean View room but it still had a nice view over the old cannery. The sun rise is amazing. The room was clean and the bathroom was really pleasant.
The air conditioning is a little noisy but cant really complain we slept well
We stayed as 3 adults and 2 children and we did not feel cramped.
Hotel staff was pretty helpful from what we seen of them and was useful for describing local tourism.
parking is underground for extra cost not included in your room rate
over all I liked it

Room Tip: not sure if the extra cost for the ocean view is needed unless that's your thing
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

I stayed one night and the staff and location were both wonderful. The staff went out of their way to answer any questions about transportation options and local things to do. They also provided assistance when I had a last minute change to my travel plans. There is a nice walking path behind the hotel or you can take a walk up Beacon street and try some of the local restaurants. There is both a yummy bakery and Thai restaurant within a block, on the left side of Beacon if you are walking from the hotel. I would definitely return to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Whidbey Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Lets start with the good.
We are in a junior suite and It is a great room. Not super expensive and not cheap, just a fair price.
Room has a full kitchen with a full size fridge. Dishes are provided. The bathroom has double sinks,soaking tub. and a very nice shower. Great soaps
and lotions
Best location in town close to every thing including the WA ferry dock
Perhaps the very best thing is the staff. Very friendly and helpful. Couldn't be better.
We walk on the ferry ($18) for 2 seniors, then a short walk to the hotel. We take busses ($1.65) to Victoria and the Buchart gardens. No long lines that you have when taking a car.
Back to our room, nice deck with a partial view of the water.
We did not eat in the restaurant but it looked very nice, even had outside seating. The reason we didn't eat there is that it had a very limited menu. Try the bistro for a nice european menu.
Now the bad part.
The hall way floors are very dirty and stained. There is no airconditioning in the halls and they feel like you are in sauna. No need to pay for a sauna downstairs, just stand In the hall. Our bed was not the best, you rolled down to the middle. The lobby was very, very small. No room to talk to friends. Chairs very close together. The building is part condos and the residents take up a lot of the seating. Overall we will stay there again but it would be nice if they would make improvements.
Mike

Stayed August 2012
1 Thank 4Mike
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidney
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 52 in Victoria
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,132 reviews
Fairfield
Abigail's Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 52 in Victoria

Been to The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!