“Memorable Stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Sidney
Edmonton, Alberta
“Memorable Stay”
Reviewed 29 May 2013 via mobile

My husband is in the Canadian Forces and we just had a baby. Unfortunately he wasn't able to be at the birth of our son because he was away training. He got to come home for the may long weekend so we decided to get away. I told the lady who took my reservation how excited I was for our first little family getaway and how special our trip was. When I arrived they had given us complimentary upgrade! We are talking stunning room! I could not get over all of the amenities and space in the room. Once we checked in, we didn't leave the room! We ordered room service and sat in our robes and enjoyed our delicious meals on the balcony over looking the ocean. The next day my husband surprised me with a spa day where I enjoyed a massage and pedicure. The staff at the spa were so sweet and made sure I had everything I needed to enjoy my brief break from motherhood. Honestly the best 24 hours I've spent in a hotel and I would recommend them to anyone! Not to mention the convenience of the location. Minutes away from the ferry and we enjoyed browsing through the Shaw Discovery Center and walking along the pier. Just perfect

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2013

My husband and I decided to treat ourselves to a little island staycation this past weekend.
What a great decision to stay in Sidney at the Sidney Pier Hotel. We were treated so well by all the staff from the moment we walked in. We arrived early to find that our room was ready before the usual check-in time - nice surprise. Our room was spacious, immaculately clean, and well appointed. Bed was absolutely dreamy to sleep in. We dined in Haro's, the hotel restaurant, and are so glad we did. Food was delicious (Hubby had steak with frites, I had salmon), fabulous house bread, great service. Although the weekend was spotted with rain showers, we managed to spend time walking along the water, and doing a little shopping on Beacon Ave. Without having to leave the island, it really felt like a getaway. Thank you Sidney Pier for a much needed weekend of pampering.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2013

This hotel is very close to the Swartz Bay ferry terminal. Rooms are lovely as is the hotel. All staff were very helpful any time help was needed or with inquiries. Amenities all close by. If you are looking for more, you need to go to Victoria, rather than Sidney. It is nice and relaxing. At the end of my stay, the hotel even provided me with a ride to the ferry terminal for my trip home to the lower mainland.

Room Tip: If you want to enjoy the spa, you should look at booking prior to your actual trip.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel, however Lisa, the front desk clerk seemed put off that we were even there, like we were disturbing her. We had called the hotel an hour before we arrived and were told that indeed they had rooms and the different types. Upon our arrival Lisa was not very pleasant and to top it off she would not honor the the trip advisor free upgrade coupon that the hotel has posted. She said she didn't have any upgraded room to offer us. But as I said we had just called the hotel and they listed all the different rooms available.
Our room had patio doors but no balcony, it's just blocked off. To see the ocean we had to stand at our window, yes we could see the ocean from the 3 floor, but we could also see every other room, balcony, and the roof over the first floor.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Canadiangiselle
Vancouver Island, Canada
Reviewed 24 May 2013

Sidney pier is conveniently located minutes from Swartz Bay ferry terminal once you arrive, it OSA quaint sea side hotel with a pretty view of the harbour and amenities close by.

However, the cell phone reception is poor in the lobby, restaurant and conference room. In fact I had to step outside to use my cell phone.
The rooms are nice but I noticed cracks in the sink and tub, wow for a new hotel, do they not inspect their rooms?

Haro is a nice restaurant but with a limited menu and the deserts were ok but portions are huge

I didn't check the spa but it was full when I arrived to try a last minute booking. Parking is free with check in. Also there are people who own suites and many are seniors, so don't expect to party too hard or you'll get a call from management

If you want to drive to Victoria, be wary of the time you leave due to heavy traffic to and from downtown Victoria.
Overall the price is moderate but Sidney pier tries hard but it just doesn't wow me to come back to stay here for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: Better to stay on floors 3 or4 for more quieter stay if you open balcony doors
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Indotraveller_10
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 21 May 2013

The hotel is lovely and the location is great,but the room is definitely not worth the $194 rate we paid. I have never felt compelled to post a photo before, but I think it is important for people to see what they really get when they pay for an "ocean view". We were also disappointed that the balconies are not private at all. We asked if we could move to another room and they would not accommodate us. The staff are polite but not friendly and don't seem to care about pleasing the guests.

The rooms are large and well-appointed but the mattress is much too hard, and there are not enough pillows. We asked for extra pillows and were told there were some (2) in the closet; they would not bring more, despite the "pillow library" mentioned in the guide. The bathroom is lovely but the shower head is so low that anyone over 5'10" would hit their head. Strange because the ceilings are high and they could have placed it at least a foot higher up.

Room service was fast and the fish and chips were excellent; seafood curry was just okay. But we were surprised to still see our dishes there in the hall every time we left our room, and they were still there at 11:30 the next day when we checked out. When you're paying these kinds of prices, those details matter.

I was very surprised to see a TripAdvisor award at the front counter. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid the second floor and ask to be as close to the water as possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BCBusinessTraveller2
Natalie K, General Manager at The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Thank you very much for your feedback.
I agree that the details are very important, and we did not meet your very reasonable expectations for the room or service. With regards to the seaview room category, I have reviewed our inventory, and will be re-branding rooms the second floor rooms above the Atrium in the center of the building. While there is a view of the water, it is not a full, unobstructed ocean view as you note.
We take great pride in our service and providing excellent value to our guests. We take action when we fall short of our standards, and to that end we have reviewed your notes as a team, and reviewed how to have handled the service side of your experience with more hospitality and understanding.
I would very much like to invite you back to the hotel to enjoy all that Sidney has to offer. Please contact me directly and I will personally make the arrangements.
Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments, and I look forward to an opportunity to speak personally with you,

Natalie King
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

20 of my favorite family members and myself ascended on Sidney last week. The Sidney Pier service was exceptional in every way and the character of Sidney is one of my most favorite things in the world. I also highly recommend Haro's and Georgia's.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank sillypheobee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidney
Oak Bay Beach Hotel
#3 of 49 in Victoria
Fairfield
Abigail's Hotel
Abigail's Hotel
#1 of 49 in Victoria

Been to The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!