We travel to Vancouver island each spring and the last number of years have stayed in Sydney. This year we tried the brand new (opened May 1, 2007 we checked in May 12) Sydney Pier Hotel.
This is a combination hotel and condo property centrally located right next to the pier on the water.
The hotel is very modern with sleek neutral coloured rooms and an interesting array of gadgetry that befuddled many of their demographic (Sydney tends to appeal to an older semi retired and retired crowd). As I waited in line at the desk for some of our issues to be resolved I overheard the staff patiently explaining the workings of the safe, coffee maker and TV video players. We were unable to figure out the ultra modern coffee maker which spewed hot water all over the table dispite our best attempts. Thank goodness for the coffee shop on the ground floor.
The staff were extremely charming and determined to help you have a pleasant stay but they were up against some difficult issues. The elevator made horrific grinding noises prompting several of the guests to take the stairs. The reservervation service was unfamiliar with the property. We had specifically asked for a room with a balcony overlooking the water and the sea walk. We got a room, no balcony, not much of a view. The staff made an attempt to find us the room we specified but I'm not sure it exists.
Other nice touches were some lovely throws on the beds, bottled water in the fridge and some designer tea, a kettle, window shades and blackout curtains. Personally I loved the high tech lcd tv,vcr. As hotel rooms go it was quite quiet and comfortable.
We usually stay in the Waterfront Hotel (across the street) in the Cannery rooms which are exceptional. They are large with a deluxe bathroom (jacuzzi and separate shower) and a small kitchen. I am sorry to say the Sydney pier suffers in comparison (being designed as a typical hotel room).
Overall it has a excellent location, pleasant helpful staff, spacious parking, and opening jitters. I expect the Sydney Pier will improve and settle in with time and I wish them the best of luck. But for us we will pay the extra $$ and move back across the street.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- 55-room boutique hotel, spa, oceanfront restaurant & lounge, and cafe, opened in May 2007. Located on the waterfront in the charming seaside town of Sidney, British Columbia on Vancouver Island - just 10 minutes from the Victoria International Airport, BC Ferries to Vancouver, and Washington State Ferries to Anacortes, Washington. 30 minute drive to downtown Victoria. Complimentary use of 24 hour Fitness Centre. 3 Meeting/Function rooms for groups up to 60 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, TravelClick and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Sidney Pier Hotel Sidney
- The Sidney Pier Hotel And Spa