“Made the Keg in Victoria look Bad”

Charles Dickens Pub
Ranked #22 of 85 Restaurants in Sidney
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I had dinner at the Charles Dickens last Monday night and had the Lumber Jack pork chop dinner
It was better then some of the many meals I have spent way more money on at the Keg in Victoria
With this meal you don't need an appetizer and i very much doubt any desert. I had it with the mushroom sauce and mashed potatoes

1  Thank Tiberious555

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Loved the atmosphere of the place. We got there right at opening time (11:00am) so had it nearly to ourselves. The food was good and fairly priced. My husband and I both enjoyed our meals. The best part was the desert! We ordered the apple pastry with ice cream desert and shouldn't have shared it! I should have ordered one just for ME! There is a 20% discount if you stay at the adjacent Travelodge. Unfortunately we ate there BEFORE we checked in so didn't have the discount coupon! We would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We were staying at the hotel beside this pub-style restaurant, for one night before a southern vacation, and decided to walk over for dinner. The menu is large, with a variety for everyone, and a selection of various cuisines. Having read some reviews about bad service but decent food, we were prepared for whatever....wow, they must have changed staff, because first of all, the service was fantastic. The waitress was very attentive and yet managed not to intrude at the same time. We ordered calamari to start and both agreed it was some of the best we'd ever had. I ordered an Indian Curry, served with jasmine rice, chutney, yogurt and flat bread, again very nice. Hubby had a steak sandwich, no complaints there. Drink prices were excellent, and drinks were good. Hubby likes his beer cold and reported that his beer here had ice crystals in it. That's as cold as it gets. Dessert was small but fantastic - home-made apple tart served with home made ice cream. 6 drinks, an appetizer, two entrees and dessert with a $65 bill....can't go wrong with this place.

1  Thank berniece2000
GMNCVat, General Manager at Charles Dickens Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are very proud of our team from our Chef to our servers, and we always review our guests comments with staff to see if we can improve our service and offering. I will gladly share your comments with them.

Reviewed 22 February 2014

We chose this pub due to its proximity to the hotel and the 20% discount for hotel guests. The food was very good, my husband had the double bypass burger and found it excellent and I had the beef dip which was very good. Unfortunately the service was not good. Server was inattentive and slow even though it was mid afternoon and the bar was quiet.

GMNCVat, General Manager at Charles Dickens Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your review. Were very pleased you enjoyed the food but it sounds like the service was not up to our standard, so I'm very sorry that you did not completely enjoy your experience. I will use your comments as a coaching tool for the staff to ensure we are always offering our best service.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

We have just moved to the Sidney area and dropped in for dinner. This is a typical pub/sports bar with about 10 assorted screens, plenty of background music and a youngish clientele. We prefer quieter places for conversation so it is unlikely to become our local.

The draft Boddington's was excellent and the food and the service were quite good. The squid starter was deep fried with jalapenos - a tasty variation - and the beef and potato stew was very good. The "scones" served under the stew would have been better cooked in the stew gravy (like dumplings) rather than being baked.

GMNCVat, General Manager at Charles Dickens Pub, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Thank you for your review. Were glad you enjoyed your food and the atmosphere of our Pub. I apologies if you felt your service was not what you expected. We will take your comments and review them with our staff.