“Fab location & service, mediocre food”
Review of Rumrunner Pub

Rumrunner Pub
Ranked #34 of 85 Restaurants in Sidney
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: Seafood, Pub
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Since 1990, the Rumrunner Pub & Restaurant has served delicious seafood and West Coast cuisine in a spectacular setting along the Sidney waterfront at picturesque Port Sidney Marina. Patrons enjoy a warm ambience, great food, and unforgettable views of the ocean, Gulf & San Juan Islands and Mount Baker. The cozy restaurant and bar both boast warm feature fireplaces, and in warmer weather the two outdoor patios allow diners the opportunity to enjoy sunshine and sea breezes. "Staff are friendly and cheerful,and we have a great kitchen staff," "Our pub menu is first class." At the full-service bar, customers can choose from a large selection of beverages - there's local and import beer in the bottle and on tap, as well as a wide selection of wines. Owner Bill Singer worked for 14 years in the Oak Bay Beach Hotel's venerable Snug before opening the Rumrunner in 1990. Since then, the Rumrunner Pub & Restaurant has become a favoured spot for locals, a regular stop for visiting boaters, and a great find for visitors to Sidney.
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I went to this pub because it was recommended by our hotel. Can't fault it on its oceanfront location, nice ambiance and great service. But the food was mediocre at best - we both ate from the special menu. My roast beef was OK but drowned in beef boullion cube gravy - salty and awful. The veggies were just weird - overcooked broccoli, strangely sweet carrots and horrible garlic mashed potatoes. The giant Yorkshire pudding was charcoal black. My husband's lamb shank was good but served with cold, pasty so-called saffron risotto. While we enjoyed our pleasant waitress and extensive wine/beer selection - we won't be back!

There are newer reviews for Rumrunner Pub

Reviewed 12 September 2013

Anytime we want to have a quick bite at a relaxed pub the Rum Runner is our choice. Feet away from the ocean adds pleasure to any dinning experience

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The most recent time I visited was in August. The setting and view is delightful and unchanged. The food ranges from quite good to mediocre. Despite recent comments about the wait time, I have never been disappointed. Check the prices before being seated as it is a bit expensive. If you want a pub, this is a good choice.

Reviewed 2 September 2013

We arrived for an early dinner.....we were one of just two tables inside that were occupied. The outside patio was fairly full.

We ordered drinks and our meal from a friendly waitress. In hindsight, we got the drinks rather swiftly, a mere 15 minutes later. When she came over to ask if we'd like a refill on our drinks, I said, "Sure since it will tide me over until the foods arrives." It was clear she had heard that one too many times.

The rate at which the kitchen put the food out is appalling. I can only imagine what the wait staff have to deal with day in and day out, apologizing for the delays. When it eventually came an hour after we had ordered, it was lackluster.

We will NOT be back.

Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I went here most recently on August 24 with my son after leaving another restaurant very close by with appalling service. We sat down and were warmly greeted by our waitress. She brought us their full menu and lunch menu for the day. Both had a great selection for any palate.

We ordered a couple of local beers and read the menu as we watched boats going back and forth out the window. This place is located right on the water and is lovely.

When the beers arrived we ordered from the lunch menu. Our meals were excellent and we had a lovely time here. I will definitely come back.