“Kitchen Roulette”

Ranked #20 of 84 Restaurants in Sidney
Price range: US$6 - US$28
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, Pub, Canadian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Brunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Since 1990, the Rumrunner Pub & Restaurant has served delicious seafood and West Coast cuisine in a spectacular setting along the Sidney waterfront at picturesque Port Sidney Marina. Patrons enjoy a warm ambience, great food, and unforgettable views of the ocean, Gulf & San Juan Islands and Mount Baker. The cozy restaurant and bar both boast warm feature fireplaces, and in warmer weather the two outdoor patios allow diners the opportunity to enjoy sunshine and sea breezes. "Staff are friendly and cheerful,and we have a great kitchen staff," "Our pub menu is first class." At the full-service bar, customers can choose from a large selection of beverages - there's local and import beer in the bottle and on tap, as well as a wide selection of wines. Owner Bill Singer worked for 14 years in the Oak Bay Beach Hotel's venerable Snug before opening the Rumrunner in 1990. Since then, the Rumrunner Pub & Restaurant has become a favoured spot for locals, a regular stop for visiting boaters, and a great find for visitors to Sidney.
Beaumont, Canada
“Kitchen Roulette”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

The location is fantastic with a spectacular view of the ocean, the front end staff is always professional and friendly. I've dined at this restaurant five time over the last year and pretty sure my latest visit was my last. The problem here clearly is the inconstant offerings from the kitchen... I've had two excellent meals here, two have been mediocre, the last was just sad and qualified by the fact that I'm typing this at four in the morning after several trips to the head. It's just sad as this place has huge potential to be Sidney's premier dining location if the back end could get their act together...

Visited January 2014

Sidney, Canada
“pubbing delight”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

A pub with good food and an ocean view right out the window. Eat in or out on the patio it is an enjoyable experience.

• Visited January 2014
Buda, Texas
“Halibut/chips and Cod /chips, loved them!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

I love seafood. It is difficult to get a decent fish and chips that is priced in the median area.
I have never been to Canada before or this restaurant. It was recommended by friends.
The view of the water was wonderful. It is right next to a marina. The service was friendly and prompt. I loved the light batter and texture of my fish. The fries/chips were crispy and not greasy!
The price was as far as I am concerned worth it and the portion was generous. I loved the hot green tea that I ordered, also. It was quite windy so I recommend a more temperate time to visit if you want a warmer and less windy experience. We sat indoor in front of the windows with a view of the water and walking path. There is also some outdoor seating.

• Visited November 2013
Calgary, Canada
“Outstanding Customer Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

I decided to go to Rumrunners after living in the Sidney area for a couple of years. I have heard good things but never went myself. I was out for a walk and decided to drop in and wow!!!!!!!! As soon as I entered I was greeted by a nice blonde girl with a beautiful smile. I sat near the bar so she was not my server but I was fascinated by her Customer service. I have been in the Hospitality industry for over ten years and I am currently the manager for a Hotel. I must say I would hire this girl in a heart beat.. I was not even in her section but yet she came to me more then once to make sure everything was ok. I also watched her great every Customer that came in the pub. The pub got really bust but yet she was calm and relaxed while the other girl ran around with her panties in a bunch. I later asked her name and found out her name was "Spencer " . I really hope the manager knows how excellent this girl is because I can guarantee she will be keeping a whole lot of Customers coming back including myself!!!

• Visited November 2013
Sidney, Canada
“Come for the view, and enjoy the food too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

I can easily walk from our home to the pub and it has probably the best views of the Haro strait and the Gulf Islands in Sidney. The patio is full in summer for lunches or dinners so come early or book a reservation.
I had lunch there today with a colleague and both the food and service were excellent. (even the company was good).
Overlooking the Port of Sidney marina with ample parking or just a short walk from two local hotels.

Worth a visit