“A Different Dining Experience”

Latch Country Inn-Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 84 Restaurants in Sidney
Cuisines: Italian, Canadian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
North Saanich, BC
“A Different Dining Experience”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We have eaten at The Latch twice in recent years (with new owners) and many times in the past. There is no comparison between the two experiences, however that is not really a negative comment. Forgetting the elegant past, the newer experience is quite different. The chef is the owner, and her husband is the main waiter, although they have added a female server to help out. Great setting, very good food and there is a lot of flexability allowed with your menu choice. The owner/waiter is very friendly with past experience on a cruise ship. He has a dry sense of humour that may not appeal to everyone. And the decor, especially in the foyer, is eclectic to say the least. I would summarize by saying to go to enjoy the great, fresh food and quirkiness of the place but don't expect silent formality.

• Visited September 2012
5 Thank Trixie61

North Saanich, Canada
“NEEDS TO DEFINE ITSELF AGAIN”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The Latch is something of an icon in the Victoria area and in the past has been noted for excellence in service and cuisine and having dined there a few times in the past I can't help but feel it is missing something from the past. The restaurant has changed hands in recent years and like most businesses, things such as cuisne and service are likely to change as well.

I booked a reservation for our anniversary dinner and had requested a quiet table for two, We were sandwiched between a table of six and two other couples and while the setting was reasonably pleaant, it was not like the intimate dinners we had enjoyed in past visits.

I would rate the quality of the meals as very good and excellent but the setting and the so-so service detracted from the cuisine. Were it not for the quality of the cusine I would give an "average rating". There is a good selection on the menu and there were a number of "specials" offered that eveing which we opted for. I will give the tiger prawns very high marks and my wife found the chicken cacciatore "pretty good but "not great". In terms of cost, we parted with just over $100 for meals and a half litre of reasonably pleasant Chilean sauvignon blanc.

The location of the this restaurant is in a lovely setting on the water in the buidling is a beautiful structure dating from nearly a century ago. I have to ask myslef the question as to whether we would go back and I'm not certain we would. I'll watch and see future reviews and my mind may well change. In summary, it wasn't bad by any means but given the past reputation and and the overall cost, I was to say the least, a tad disappointed. Future favourable reviews might alter my thinks so far as a future visit. The potential is there for a great restaurant as it was in the past but some things are missing today.

• Visited July 2012
2 Thank James C
Vancouver, Canada
“very bad experience”
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My husband and I went to The Latch last evening for our anniversary; for, me it was a fist visit, for my husband who had been many times, it was the first visit in many years. We will NOT return.

We were the only customers and we were there between 7:20pm and 8:30pm. We were greeted by a small child who was running about in the restaurant ( presumably the owner's ). The server came and SAT at our table to take our order...saying that he was tired.

My husband's minestrone soup was served with waiter's thumb in it! Both our mains were appalling bad and virtually inedible...mine, supposed to be veal scallopine, was positively swimming in fat and his cannelone looked as if it had been warmed in the microwave after being picked up at a deli!

For this, and an inexpensive bottle of wine marked up to three times its retail value, we paid $125! Unbelievable!

Too bad; apparently it used to be quite nice...not any more, that's for sure!

• Visited June 2012
4 Thank mjlvancouver
Red Deer, AB
“OK but not outstanding”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

This was our second visit to this restaurant. the first was many years ago and we went back because of good memories. This time the food was OK but we would not go there again. The appetizers were quite good, but the main course, while acceptable was certainly not as good as we had expected. The owner, who did the serving, talked too much--even while we were trying to eat.

• Visited April 2012
3 Thank Travellers5710
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“A Different Restaurant”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Not a million miles from our Holiday Home the Latch Restaurant is different,
Different in that this great restaurant used to be The Govenor's Summer Residence and the Govenor being the Main Man in British Columbia. This charming residence, set at the end of Harbour road in Sidney, offers diners a variety of sumptious meals in an elegant setting.Friendly staff add to the ambience and the whole experience is a memorable evening.

• Visited September 2011