“An Equisite Dining Experience”

Latch Country Inn-Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 86 Restaurants in Sidney
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 12 May 2013

First the host- Luigi, the owner/host/waiter has created a warm welcoming dining room with old world charm. Pale pink and beige table clothes,crystal, fine china and fresh flowers in a small intimate space. He recognizes his local regulars who clearly make this their place to come for special family events. We were here for Mothers Day lunch and several of the tables, like ours, had several generations of mothers - grandmothers,daughters, daughter-on-laws all enjoying Luigi's attentive and gracious service. Secondly the food: the special menu for Mothers Day offered was $30 per person, choice of 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 3 desserts. A jug of freshly squeezed orange juice for the table, a basket of hot fresh croissants and homemade foccacia to start. The portions were generous, each plate beautifully sauced, garnished and creative in flavours - I had fresh buffalo mozzarella and tomatoe salad with capers appetizer, poached salmon served in a delicate wine sauce accompanied by four roasted veg with an incredible egg benedict (!) , and a baked alaska dressed with chocolate sauce and strawberries. Luigi is happy to share his love for food - in conversation we discussed tomatoes (he has his own farm for growing veg and eggs etc for the restaurant) and when we got up to leave he came out of the kitchen with a frozen litre of his homemade tomatoe sauce for us to take home! A wonderfully gracious experience - and the value for $30 was unbelievable.
I highly recommend The Latch for anyone wanting an elegant dining experience in a truly relaxed and congenial family friendly enviroment. We have come here for grandmother's birthday, Mothers Day, as well as a romantic dinner date night. (Luigi has a young daughter - her play equipment is just around the corner of patio....great if you have a young family member who needs to stretch or wiggle in between courses!) Call ahead and let Luigi know you are coming and they will make you feel right at home!

4  Thank greenthumbSidney

Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at the B&B, so we decided to have dinner there on our second evening. We didn't have a car and it was a 30 min walk to the downtown. The menu looked extensive and there were many specials. I had a special...Thai soup as a starter. It was fantastic. I wish I had just ordered another bowl and ended with that. My main dish was veal which was pan fried in too much oil and too salty. I switched with my husband who was having salmon. It wasn't any better. We didn't have any alcohol. Dessert was on the house. We did have coffee. The bill with tax and without tip was $102. The dining room was beautiful. The service was good. The waiters were very pleasant but I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend this restaurant.

7  Thank bevwynn
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We have eaten at The Latch twice in recent years (with new owners) and many times in the past. There is no comparison between the two experiences, however that is not really a negative comment. Forgetting the elegant past, the newer experience is quite different. The chef is the owner, and her husband is the main waiter, although they have added a female server to help out. Great setting, very good food and there is a lot of flexability allowed with your menu choice. The owner/waiter is very friendly with past experience on a cruise ship. He has a dry sense of humour that may not appeal to everyone. And the decor, especially in the foyer, is eclectic to say the least. I would summarize by saying to go to enjoy the great, fresh food and quirkiness of the place but don't expect silent formality.

5  Thank Trixie61
Reviewed 10 July 2012

The Latch is something of an icon in the Victoria area and in the past has been noted for excellence in service and cuisine and having dined there a few times in the past I can't help but feel it is missing something from the past. The restaurant has changed hands in recent years and like most businesses, things such as cuisne and service are likely to change as well.

I booked a reservation for our anniversary dinner and had requested a quiet table for two, We were sandwiched between a table of six and two other couples and while the setting was reasonably pleaant, it was not like the intimate dinners we had enjoyed in past visits.

I would rate the quality of the meals as very good and excellent but the setting and the so-so service detracted from the cuisine. Were it not for the quality of the cusine I would give an "average rating". There is a good selection on the menu and there were a number of "specials" offered that eveing which we opted for. I will give the tiger prawns very high marks and my wife found the chicken cacciatore "pretty good but "not great". In terms of cost, we parted with just over $100 for meals and a half litre of reasonably pleasant Chilean sauvignon blanc.

The location of the this restaurant is in a lovely setting on the water in the buidling is a beautiful structure dating from nearly a century ago. I have to ask myslef the question as to whether we would go back and I'm not certain we would. I'll watch and see future reviews and my mind may well change. In summary, it wasn't bad by any means but given the past reputation and and the overall cost, I was to say the least, a tad disappointed. Future favourable reviews might alter my thinks so far as a future visit. The potential is there for a great restaurant as it was in the past but some things are missing today.

2  Thank James C
Reviewed 22 June 2012

My husband and I went to The Latch last evening for our anniversary; for, me it was a fist visit, for my husband who had been many times, it was the first visit in many years. We will NOT return.

We were the only customers and we were there between 7:20pm and 8:30pm. We were greeted by a small child who was running about in the restaurant ( presumably the owner's ). The server came and SAT at our table to take our order...saying that he was tired.

My husband's minestrone soup was served with waiter's thumb in it! Both our mains were appalling bad and virtually inedible...mine, supposed to be veal scallopine, was positively swimming in fat and his cannelone looked as if it had been warmed in the microwave after being picked up at a deli!

For this, and an inexpensive bottle of wine marked up to three times its retail value, we paid $125! Unbelievable!

Too bad; apparently it used to be quite nice...not any more, that's for sure!

4  Thank mjlvancouver