“A historic and special place. Add house specials and you can't go wrong.”

Latch Country Inn-Restaurant
Ranked #46 of 84 Restaurants in Sidney
Cuisines: Italian, Canadian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Brentwood Bay, BC
“A historic and special place. Add house specials and you can't go wrong.”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Go for the Italian specials. Drink in the history. Enjoy sharing your meal time with a local Peninsula family business. The historic value of this place more than covers the cost of the meal.

• Visited October 2013

Seattle, Washington
“Wonderful evening”
Reviewed 16 September 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful meal at the Latch. We split a Caesar salad. There were out of Romaine so we agreed to a spinach Caesar. Killer! My dinner order of cannelloni was so light, the tomato sauce tasted of tomatoes and the crepes were homemade. There were few people there, so Luigi gave us lots of attention. We even tried his homemade salami. We go to meet the whole family. We will return on our boat trip next year.

• Visited September 2013
Sidney
“An Equisite Dining Experience”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

First the host- Luigi, the owner/host/waiter has created a warm welcoming dining room with old world charm. Pale pink and beige table clothes,crystal, fine china and fresh flowers in a small intimate space. He recognizes his local regulars who clearly make this their place to come for special family events. We were here for Mothers Day lunch and several of the tables, like ours, had several generations of mothers - grandmothers,daughters, daughter-on-laws all enjoying Luigi's attentive and gracious service. Secondly the food: the special menu for Mothers Day offered was $30 per person, choice of 3 appetizers, 3 entrees and 3 desserts. A jug of freshly squeezed orange juice for the table, a basket of hot fresh croissants and homemade foccacia to start. The portions were generous, each plate beautifully sauced, garnished and creative in flavours - I had fresh buffalo mozzarella and tomatoe salad with capers appetizer, poached salmon served in a delicate wine sauce accompanied by four roasted veg with an incredible egg benedict (!) , and a baked alaska dressed with chocolate sauce and strawberries. Luigi is happy to share his love for food - in conversation we discussed tomatoes (he has his own farm for growing veg and eggs etc for the restaurant) and when we got up to leave he came out of the kitchen with a frozen litre of his homemade tomatoe sauce for us to take home! A wonderfully gracious experience - and the value for $30 was unbelievable.
I highly recommend The Latch for anyone wanting an elegant dining experience in a truly relaxed and congenial family friendly enviroment. We have come here for grandmother's birthday, Mothers Day, as well as a romantic dinner date night. (Luigi has a young daughter - her play equipment is just around the corner of patio....great if you have a young family member who needs to stretch or wiggle in between courses!) Call ahead and let Luigi know you are coming and they will make you feel right at home!

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank greenthumbSidney
Edmonton, Canada
“Not what I expected”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We stayed for 2 nights at the B&B, so we decided to have dinner there on our second evening. We didn't have a car and it was a 30 min walk to the downtown. The menu looked extensive and there were many specials. I had a special...Thai soup as a starter. It was fantastic. I wish I had just ordered another bowl and ended with that. My main dish was veal which was pan fried in too much oil and too salty. I switched with my husband who was having salmon. It wasn't any better. We didn't have any alcohol. Dessert was on the house. We did have coffee. The bill with tax and without tip was $102. The dining room was beautiful. The service was good. The waiters were very pleasant but I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend this restaurant.

• Visited August 2012
7 Thank travellynne
North Saanich, BC
“A Different Dining Experience”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

We have eaten at The Latch twice in recent years (with new owners) and many times in the past. There is no comparison between the two experiences, however that is not really a negative comment. Forgetting the elegant past, the newer experience is quite different. The chef is the owner, and her husband is the main waiter, although they have added a female server to help out. Great setting, very good food and there is a lot of flexability allowed with your menu choice. The owner/waiter is very friendly with past experience on a cruise ship. He has a dry sense of humour that may not appeal to everyone. And the decor, especially in the foyer, is eclectic to say the least. I would summarize by saying to go to enjoy the great, fresh food and quirkiness of the place but don't expect silent formality.

• Visited September 2012