“best place yet !!!!!”
Review of Podollan Inn

Podollan Inn
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Salmon Arm
Reviewed 24 October 2013

i stayed 2 nights here, what a great hotel pleasant staff,comfy beds, awesome breaky very clean would definitely stay here again on my way back and letting family and friends know where to stay A+++++

Room Tip: southside rooms are quieter and spacious
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 October 2013

We booked online as suggested by the group rate email we received, we then inquired about the group rate were were supposed to get but no one was able to help us with it at the front desk. We were asked to inquire in the morning with a different night manager when they arrived. Off we went to a Family re-union event wth my 8 month preganant wife. We arrvied back at our room in the Motel style locations in the back. The sound proofing in this building is dreadful. We were able to hear screaming kids and footsteps well into the night along with the 'hot water knocking' sound described by other travellers. This noise is definately enough to wake most people.The bed was old, soft and worn out. We left the Motel exausted at 5am and tried to resolve the rate issue with a diffent Night Clerk to no avail.
We then phoned to resolve the problem with the quoted rate again and have been pushed to the manager. Good thing the Family reunion was great! Do not stay here, the seats in my Toyota provide better sleep and rest than this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Mark B
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed overnight on the 3rd floor in a newly-renovated tastefully decorated 1 bedroom. Beautiful walls and furnishings. The bed was very comfortable; best dream sleep in a long time. Will return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask to be in renovated areas
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed at the Podollan for one night on business. Upon check-in, I was given a ground floor room in the "motel" unit behind the building. As soon as I opened the door to my room I was disappointed. The decor and finishings were dated, the tile floor was uninviting and dirty. I requested a different room, as I don't usually take ground floor rooms when traveling alone anyways).
It was a busy night at the hotel, and I got the feeling they were short staffed. The woman at check-in was patient and pleasant to deal with despite the long lineup and irritated guests she had to deal with. I asked for another room, and specifically asked for a remodeled/renovated room, as per their web site. She told me that she was new and didn't know which ones were renovated or not, and that they were short rooms due to a lack of housekeeping. At this point I just took the new room she gave me in the main building.
Again, when I walked in I was disappointed. The decor was horrible, the dank lighting made it appear even worse. It really bothers me when hotels advertise images and descriptions on their web site and then when you arrive you find the complete opposite. I booked into the Podollan because it was marketed as a boutique luxury hotel. I can assure you, it's far from that.
Besides the dated decor and dirty feel, the in-room coffee was disgusting and the wifi was free but terrible. I could barely work from my laptop and gave up after awhile.
There is no gym at the hotel, which I was disappointed to find but that was my fault for not confirming that before I booked.
The pool was huge, and seemed very nice. I didn't use it as it wasn't warm enough and I was only there overnight.
What I look for when traveling and booking a room is: clean modern decor, good wifi, comfortable beds, good quality in room coffee (hey, it's important to me to wake up comfortably and that's what I need), and a decent gym/fitness centre. The Podollan failed on all of these things. So I won't be returning.
I also ate dinner with a client at the restaurant there. The wine list was small and lacking in quality wines, which surprised given the location (it's wine country there). And the food was terrible. I started with flat breads and dip. The presentation wasn't very nice and it was obvious they used low quality ingredients (for example, the cheese was bagged/packaged and not freshly grated). The garlic dip was horrible, like it came from a jar and it was cold. Overall, it seemed like everything was pre-packaged. I then had the mushroom salad with salmon and couldn't even finish it. The salad was over dressed and the salmon was over cooked. My client had the crab cakes to start and steak for dinner. He never complained so I'm not sure how those meals were.
Next time I'm in Salmon Arm I'll definitely be trying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room specifically when you book in advance.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
4  Thank Caribbean_Zingara
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Our executive Chef at Table 24 offers only fresh local cuisine with everything made from scratch. We support local farms and suppliers, offering only the finest fresh ingredients, including local organic coffee. We do not serve processed food. We are proud to say we don’t even have a microwave. We are sorry the flavours in your meal did not match your palette. We generally have excellent WiFi speeds but on occasion when it’s busy like it was during your stay, the speed can be a bit slow. If we had been made aware of it during your stay, we may have been able to rectify it with a few solutions. We are proud of our rooms and our staff. It was unfortunate your room was not in line with your style of taste during your stay.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

I was disappointed with my room at this property. I generally stay at Best Westerns when traveling through smaller towns but thought I would give this property a try. Mostly because the Salmon Arm Best Western only accepts reservations for 2 nights or longer in the summer and even though this was not a issue for this time of year I wanted to try and find another property that I could rely on all year round. I made two reservations a week apart but have since cancelled the second one and rebooked it at the Best Western.

I was given a ground floor room in the “motel unit” at the back of the property. It was a quiet room and had the usual amenities such as TV, wi fi, fridge, and coffee maker. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was clean aside from some ceiling stains. Unfortunately that is where the good news ends. The window blinds were tissue thin and did nothing to block out the daylight so forget about sleeping past break of day. The ceramic tile floor was very dirty around the edges and under the bed skirts, many dead bugs and some sort of unidentified pile of something, which I didn’t even want to know what it was. My bath towel was torn. I was also charged an additional “utility usage” fee of 2.95 plus taxes, which I assume is for the large pool that I didn’t use. I really dislike being charged hidden fees or "extras" with hotels and car rental companies. I find it rather dishonest and prefer to know the rate up front.

I had the feeling the hotel is attempting to be an upscale or boutique property however the décor and lack of attention to detail makes it anything but that. The core basics I want in a hotel are cleanliness; comfortable beds with good linens; window coverings that block out light and of course welcoming properly trained staff.

Salmon Arm is a busy place in the summer and there are few choices for overnight stays. They could really use a few more mid range chains to up the competition.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Marshall-689
Melanie L, Director of Sales at Podollan Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Your experience is not what we are used to hearing from our guests. Our housekeeping team takes great pride in the condition of our rooms. We have rectified a labor shortage in housekeeping that was the cause of the oversights you experienced. We take every guest experience very seriously and we hope you chose to visit us again, and experience the true Podollan standard.

Reviewed 9 September 2013

I enjoyed a short stay at the Podollan Inn, clean - well appointed - gorgeous grounds and the service in the lounge was wonderful. The check in was quick, even though the hotel was full the night before. The meeting room was also very well appointed for our meeting during the day.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Given the mixed previous reviews, we weren't sure what to expect but had followed the advice to ask for a room away from the road and in the main building. This turned out to be a smart and very comfortable en suite room with two queen beds. It was very well provided with storage, lamps, though the overall lighting could be described as perhaps a little subdued. There was a fridge, microwave oven, and the usual filter coffee, etc. There were two layers of window blinds, a/c, flat screen TV, and free wi fi.

There was a large work surface and mirror in the bedroom opposite the bathroom, and which would be much more useful with a large mirror and light over it.

The bed was rather soft for us.

The room overlooked the long narrow outdoor swimming pool, not at all noisy but the Inn seemed to,have few guests. At the far end of the pool, it became free form, and was surrounded by attractive flower beds, seats and loungers. The temperature was a bit chilly but improved with swimming! There was also a hot tub. Drinks and food could be ordered for poolside by phone.

We ate in the Table 24 restaurant one evening, a very pleasant experience. A number of locals were eating there. We were offered 15% discount vouchers for breakfast and dinner for all our stay. CAD 5 was offered in vouchers if you didn't use the daily housekeeping, and could be redeemed in the restaurant or spa. We thought this was a good idea but apparently the vouchers couldn't be used with the other discount vouchers offered.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms are away from Hwy 1. The main building was very comfortable and had an elevator to all...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Travelodge Salmon Arm BC
Travelodge Salmon Arm BC
#6 of 8 in Salmon Arm
Quaaout Lodge & Spa at Talking Rock Golf Resort

Been to Podollan Inn? Share your experiences!