“Well, the beer and service are good”

Barley Station Brew Pub
Ranked #2 of 78 Restaurants in Salmon Arm
Price range: US$15 - US$20
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Canadian, Brew Pub
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Bar Scene, Cheap Eats
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Brunch, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Rockville, Maryland
“Well, the beer and service are good”
Reviewed 12 August 2014

So very disapointed after reading such positive reviews. Found that the wait staff was very nice and attentive and their craft beers nice. But the food came up short. Prices high, portions small and quality low. Mussels sauce good - mussels small and tastless. Calamari portion small and too crusty. Halibut chewy and not too much flavor. They claim to trim it there, but it suffered from freezing or something because it was without any flavor. Their preparation maybe was at fault. It appears to have been cooked on a flat grill. We'll look for other choices in this area.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank TomWall60

Vancouver, Canada
“Highly recommended and didn't disappoint”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

At first it seemed like a standard pub so my girlfriend and I were expecting to have difficulty finding menu option to match our diets. Not so! At the end of the menu there is a gluten-free menu, which was a good starting point for us.

Beginning there, we were able to customize the food so we had no sugar or dairy either (I know, we sound picky but they are triggers for us!) and we still got very good meals.

I have the jerk chicken with roasted potatoes and mixed vegetables and it was exactly what I wanted and how I liked it. Perfectly cooked and balanced. My girlfriend had a salmon salad that was nothing to write home about, but was very good.

We will definitely go back (especially since I pass through for work all the time) and try more things.

Service was friendly and good, but they are a small town so you have to expect that they will be more laid-back then a place like Vancouver. Embrace that rather than seeing it as a problem and your visit will be fine. Take your time and enjoy the food and drinks!

• Visited August 2014
Nanaimo, Canada
“Best non-formal place to eat in Salmon Arm”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Ignore the snobby Vancouverite self-professed "foodie" reviews folks. This is not a review after a single visit to this lovely brewpub, but I've been there four times in the past month, and for good reason.

Fist with my wife, we had just ferried and driven all day from Vancouver Island and needed a nice meal before moving our stuff into the house here etc.
Great cool interior temp, nice friendly staff, and busy pub-like atmosphere.
We were surprised by the great menu selection for a pub, and I was happy they had some in house brewed beers available as well as some local and non-local wines.

Since being back another three times with my parents that visited, I've come to really appreciate this place. Not only do the staff remember us and treat us with genuine good human service, but they also are efficient and anticipatory.

The beers are quite good, I like the witbeer the best and the pilsner is nice too.
I've had the halibut burger, the lobster mac and cheese, the seafood pasta, and the cajun chicken penne. All were very nice, especially the rich mac and cheese. I've also had bites of the burger (the one with beef and pulled pork) and the panang curry which were also delicious. My wife and my parents, have also totally enjoyed their meals too. WOW, my mom is hard to please sometimes and she loved it.

The service as mentioned is great, but the food does sometimes take a little longer than usual, but in a busy restaurant, this is not something that bothered me, I'm not in a rush when enjoying company and a relaxed evening and if I was I would have let them know ahead of time. The longest we waited was only 30mins.

Thanks for being a good authentic pub with above the bar (haha) food choices and quality.

1 Thank David S
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
“Long wait and cold food”
Reviewed 1 August 2014

As we were staying with friends in Salmon Arm, they recommended the Brew Pub as a place to go for my Mother's birthday meal. We arrived with them telling us the food was good and my mother who had been before was saying it was a good place to eat. We arrived and everything seemed ok, we ordered drinks and they came quickly and were very nice but things seemed to go down hill from there.
In the end we worked out we waited over an hour for our food to arrive from the time we ordered. When we asked the waitress what was wrong she explained that they were short staffed. At no point did she come to tell us our food would be longer than expected. As we were waiting so long it would have been nice to know and perhaps a bar snack or drink could have been offered (complimentary or even just offered) to prevent hunger setting in. What annoyed us most was that people who arrived after us were receiving their food before us which seemed a bit strange.
When the food was brought out the steaks for the two steak sandwiches were smaller than expected but were cooked as requested. However the pasta which I had ordered was luke warm in the middle and cold on the edges, as it was seafood it wasn't edible at all. On calling over the waitress she offered me the chance to have it re-tossed or a completely new one, seeming that it was cold I didn't relish the idea of it being re-heated so asked for a new one which meant another wait. When it did arrive it was actually very tasty, full of sea food and hot all the way through, the chef had even replaced the garlic bread which I had eaten half of.
On the plus side the drinks arrived more quickly and the cocktails were very tasty and well made. The tasting sampler for the beers looked intriguing although none of us opted to have it. The speciality raspberry beer didn't seem to have much of a fruit flavour although one member of our party who tried it said they could taste the fruit. Our friends were disappointed with the standard of service saying they are usually served quickly with both food and drink and that they were sorry that the evening had turned out the way it had.
If the service had been better and the food hot on arrival I would have given this establishment a much better review as the ambience was wonderful and the choices and prices of the menu were excellent. Judging by the amount of people there it must be quite popular so perhaps we were just unfortunate.

1 Thank Gee231205x
canada
“A Bustling place”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

The special beer was a treat. The steak sandwich and beef dip received a thumbs up! The mac, lobster, and cheese was eaten heartily although the sauce was reportedly runny. My burger was fine- nothing to write home about. The green salad was okay but the house dressing was a little too tangy for me. The service was great. She wiped the table top for us at our request and she dealt with an issue with my burger. It is a place that our family members frequent with their guests so we'll likely return. Their fries can be ordered without salt for those with sodium restrictions.