“Home away from home...” 5 of 5 bubbles

Poppi's Private Room Hostel
Canada
“Home away from home...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

If you're looking for a cozy place to stay and a wonderful host then Poppi's is perfect! She was more than helpful with my last minute booking and information about local hikes. All the rooms are very unique and the beds are comfy. Great downtown location, close to everything you might need. Would stay again for sure.

• Stayed August 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013 via mobile

Poppi was very welcoming and flexible, as was her daughter. She advised us well on local events and activities both in and out of town. Clean washrooms and cozy shared living spaces. Great price for awesome service. Definitely recommended.

• Stayed July 2013
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013 via mobile

Decided to stay at Poppi's after reading reviews on trip advisor.
We were passing through and needed a place to stay the night. When I called for availability, there was one room left. Poppi indicated to me she would be out until just after our arrival time and invited us to go right in and we would check in when she got back. We were able to find Poppi's easily and headed in. Our room was average size with a double bed on the bottom and a single bunk on top. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. Poppi offered suggestions for good eats in the town, let us know about the local happenings. The living room was cozy and we hung out and watched a movie that night. The shared bathroom (there are 2) were clean and always available when I went to use them. We had a good sleep and felt well rested the next morning. The kitchen area has the basics for meal preparation. We made our breakfast and then hit the highway to head home.
We have stayed in hostels before and Poppi's is definitely one we would go back to. We felt it was clean, comfortable, cozy, and welcoming.
Thanks Poppi!

• Stayed July 2013
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

Night stop in Revelstoke on our roadtrip to Banff and Poppi was highly recommended all across our google search results so we gave it a try. How happy we are that we did!! The welcome was incredible. Parking was super convenient at the back. Rooms were simple and comfortable and the value was fantastic. The place is really cozy and we immediately felt at home. Poppi gave us great recommendations for a night out on the town (for such a small community there was a great atmosphere) and then the next day she gave us options for fun hikes.
We want to come back !

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Banff, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

My beers werer stolen from fridge in this hostel by the other people staying here.
Even though it's kind of place everybody knows who's staying.
Wall is so thin that you can hear everything from next room.So I could hear all the conversation that people next room come to this thieft. Then I went to talk to owner Poppy. What she said was very suppotive to these people who stole my stuff. Cuz that is shared fridge. Cuz they were drunk.Her point was as if saying if you are drunk, you can steal somebody else's stuff. It sounded very much like if you are drunk, you are alowed to do anything you want. stealing, killing, whatever!!
If you don't want any bad experience for your travel, don't go there.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nyahvictoria
Poppireiner, Owner at Poppi's Private Room Hostel, responded to this review, 1 June 2013
You can't imagine how distressed I was to read your review. Sometimes people post things and I wish I'd been told in person so I could have the opportunity to explain. In this case you gave me that opportunity but I believe there was a misunderstanding due to cultural and language differences. Thanks for giving me this second chance.

What I was trying to say was that theft is not condoned in any manner at the guesthouse. As you mentioned, there are only a maximum of eleven people staying here at any one time so everyone gets to know each other. I strive to foster a sense of community where the thought of theft never arises. In the five years that I have been open for business, this is the first incident of theft ever and I am very heartbroken about it. It is for that reason that I apologized immediately and fully reimbursed you for all five of the beers.

You did not seem satisfied with that and when I asked what else you would like to see done, you did not have a reply for me. You seemed to be upset that your honour had been personally attacked and that is where I believe the miscommunication happened. I tried to explain that this was a theft of opportunity, that the guys were drunk, saw your beer and helped themselves. I just didn't want you to think that you had been personally singled out and disrespected. I see now that you mistook this as my being sympathetic to them which was not the case at all, but I do understand how you may have misconstrued my intentions.

As I mentioned, this is the first incident of theft I have ever had to deal with. I hope that I shall never have to do so again, but if the case should ever arise, I will be sure to handle it with even greater sensitivity. Please accept my humblest apologies.
Inuvik, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Poppi's for 3 nights while doing a course in town. It was just after the peak season as the ski hills closed the day before I got there. As a result, it was nice and quiet.
The place has a great feel to it. It feels like being a guest in someone's home as the staff is super nice and easy going. It is close to the centre of town and you can walk to pretty much anywhere in town in half an hour.

• Stayed April 2013
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed at the house with a group of friends of 13 for three nights, thus booked the whole house. It is an old house. The carpet is worn out. Everything squeaks and creaks there, including the doors, locks, and the floor. The kitchen is old and not as spacious as you would get an impression from the reviews here. The dish washer is not hooked, so you need to roll it over to the sink and attach every time you want to use it, thus blocking access to the sink. I could not say that the house was exceptionally clean. I could see dust collecting in fluffs over baseboards in the washroom on the second floor. The rooms are small. The second floor shower ( one of the two) is pathetic. The water pressure is so weak you can hardly use it. Plus, the water changes from very hot to a very cold in a second, and so we used the first floor shower that was better, but busy....The hostess is friendly indeed, but you can hear her walking in her upstairs quarters at 5 am or entertaining her friends after midnight, because the floor squeaks and you can hear every sound. I wish I could say that we got what we paid for, but it was overpriced. We were charged for additional 3 people $30 a night, as the included in the price capacity is only 10 people. As such, our son slept on the floor on a mat or in the living room in the not so much comfortable sofa, but we ended up paying our portion as a family of about $135 dollars a night, which is simply too expensive for accommodation such as this.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Elena T
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at my guesthouse. Feedback is always welcome so that I can address the issues and hopefully make the stay better for future guests.

I thought that I had fixed the problem of the shower on the second floor by installing a new, larger hot water tank. After reading your review, I had another plumber in and he recalibrated the shower and the problem has now been fixed. So thanks for the heads up on that! As for the carpet, I have it cleaned every spring and fall but cannot do so mid-season as there are too many people staying here. Based on your review, I have decided to have it replaced and will do so as soon as the busy summer season is over.

I agree that a couple of the bedrooms are on the small side. The first floor is spacious and the concept is that people will enjoy their time in the living areas on the full first floor, and then retire to their bedrooms to sleep. As for the kitchen, generally people come in groups of two to four so I can imagine that with your whole group in at once, it could appear small. Also, people generally wash their own few dishes by hand. I only have the dishwasher available for large groups such as yours so that is why it is a roll-away. There is a red button on the side of the faucet that you can press to use the sink for the hour that the dishwasher is running.

Upon booking, your group was advised that the guesthouse space is suited to a maximum of eleven people. I was requested to make room to accommodate 13 people which necessitated the two mattresses on the floor. I do believe that $30/night per person is reasonable for the linens, towels, utilities and wear and tear.

Revelstoke is a heritage town and the guesthouse was built in the 1890s so I'm afraid that the creaks and squeaks are the price of staying in an old character home. Having said that, I can certainly pay more attention to the dust of the floorboards and will be sure to do so from now on. Thanks again for your feedback.