“Looking for unique, eccletic and beautifiul location”

Three Valley Lake Chateau & Ghost Town
Ranked #10 of 20 Hotels in Revelstoke
Reviewed 3 July 2009

I was skeptical about staying here after reading some very negative and so so reviews of the 3 valley gap Inn and I am glad I was proven wrong. Like most I have passed this hotel many times but never stopped to take a look. We booked one night here after staying at Emerald Lake Lodge, so price wise we went from one extreme to another (high to lowish or reasonable). Upon arival I was greeted by a very friendly front desk clerk who offered me the key to our room in order to take a look before signing in. I have a son who is asthmatic so my concern was residual old smoke which I aired when making my reservation over the phone. I inspected the room which was a family suite, one room with two doubles and one with a queen on the ground floor opening up onto the gardens. The room was very clean, no smoke odors and had new carpet and paint and was to my satisfaction. I returned to the front desk and checked in and purchased a family ticket to the Ghost Town located right next door and was given a list of things we could do in the area.
Once we unloaded the lugguage just steps away from our room at the rear of the bullding, my son's inspected there room with excitement, were happy and we then had look at the beautiful garden courtyard and the tour helicopter around the corner. After that we proceede to the Ghost Town Museum at 7pm. Instead of the usual tickets you are given a token is used that you insert and that lets you in, the girl at the front desk said if we did not have time to see it all that evening she would give us another token in the morning so we could finish the tour, which I thought was very nice.
My family and I entered the Ghost Town and began exploring, the buildings and artifacts felt genuine, which they were and you could touch and play with some of the antiques, this is unusual in it's self as usually when you go to a musuem everything is behind ropes and glass. We visited the antique car area and the guy working in there was very helpful and knowledgeable and told us how to navigate around the museum to the round house where the train cars etc were. All very helpful and still amazed we could go into these old coach cars and open cubboards etc and really explore. The gift shop inside was open and we bought candy and the lady working there was very helpful too. Turns out she is the daughter of the original owner and we were talking to her brother in the car exhibit. She told us that they are privately owned and operated just like the hotel and it is a true family business run my brotheres, sisters, nieces and nephews.
Our room was very quiet even on the ground floor, we could not hear traffic noise, trains or neighbours above us or beside us. We all slept very well. In the morning we woke up and all laid on the bed looking out the patio doors into the gardens. We watched the swallows dancind above and the humming birds flitting around in teh garde and you could here the birds singing it was all very tranquil.
My husband and two sons say it is the best place they stayed at on our trip because of the location, the ghost town and the uniqueness of it all and would love to come back again. The food we had was breakfast and we ordered several items only to end up with a table full of food which the waitress thought we would not eat all of it, but we did!!!!! The food was good like good old fashioned cooking, ample, filling and the family was quite pleased with it, (I think they were fed up with the ala carte fare from the previous place).
My only beef about the place is it does need a little up dating but judging by the tour buses that came and went and other visitors this was a minor flaw. What really annoys me is the previous negative reviews, if you are looking for a 5 star hotel/resort this is not it and it does not pretend to be that. It is a family run business that was a vision of one man in the 60's and who have worked hard to provide something very unique in a lovely setting in the mountains by a lake. Great for a adventure and picture taking. The hotel itself is almost turing into a museum because of its unique lay out, age and setting. If the quality of food is a issue go to Revelsoke a 15 min max drive east or Salmon Arm to the west where there are many fine dining places. Need to make a long distance phone call, don't most people these day's have cell phones including out of country travellers, as for the water no problem there either, I brushed my teeth and no tummy bug for me or my family. May be some people are hard to please and some are just not too happy and maybe that unhappy moment was when they were visitng!!! FOR US WE REALLY ENJOYED OUR STAY AND WILL BE BACK SOON.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Three Valley Lake Chateau & Ghost Town

Reviewed 11 May 2009

I stopped here for the night and the room was clean and quiet. They told me that it was one of the renovated rooms and it looked ok. Be prepared to buy a $10 phone card if you want to make a long distance call as there is no cell phone coverage here and they did not allow me to call long distance from the room.

The restaurant closes at 7pm so if you arrive later you’re out of luck. They could improve on the menu as it was pretty basic, something you would find at a truck stop. Where is Gordon Ramsey when you need him?

The manager did proceed to lecture me in front of everyone in the restaurant on using the wrong entrance when pulling into the hotel even though I used the correct one. Just what I needed after driving 8 hours.

I did not eat breakfast here as I checked out before the restaurant opened, not sure if it's better than dinner or not.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2009

My husband and I were very pleased with this hotel. We would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a unique and enjoyable stay. Our room was very comfortable and had a great view of the courtyard and lake. We plan to return in the summer time with our kids, as we know they'll enjoy the Ghost Town, Gardens & Beach.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2008

The grounds around this hotel are lovely but the hotel is very badly in need of repairs and renovations. Perhaps if we had not been charged $150 (plus taxes to a total of $167/night) for our 3rd floor room, I wouldn't have been so disappointed. But the lobby smelled like mildew had taken over, the room smelled badly too. The carpets in the hallways are very old and very stained, the floors move when you walk over them (especially in the indoor garden). I think it's time the family stopped doing their own renovations. The TV in the room was tiny and mounted at 8 feet up the wall making it very hard to watch. The beds were very uncomfortable. The lake is icy cold and although there is a sandy beach, no one would more than dangle their toes in it.
I would absolutely recommend stopping to see the ghost town and train museum though. It is the gem that saves the hotel. Amazing full sized train cars from all eras and the ghost town was very nice and worth a walk through.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 October 2008

we booked this hotel for one night but after reading the poor reviews cancelled. As it was on our route we decided to call in and check it out for ourselves. We are so glad we did. The staff were very helpful and frendly. the rooms were very clean and the furniture and carpets were all in excellent condition. we enjoyed the Ghost Town and the Railway Museum and again the staff could not have been more friendly. if you are looking for somewhere to stay while travelling from Banff to Whistler as we did i would recommend the 3 Valley Gap Chateau. we did not eat at the Chateau so we can't comment on the restaurant but we can recommend Emo's in Revelstroke very good food.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2008

I've driven past this hotel several times throughout my life and always been curious about it. This time my dad and I decided to stay, I always thought it looked kinda mysterious and I was right.

This is an eclectic and somewhat dated hotel, but we found it to be clean and enjoyed our night here immensely. The owner/builder passed away this last year and it is now run by his wife and their children. The hotel is absolutely unique and somewhat creepy but in a good way. Reminded me a bit of the movie "The Shining".

The setting is absolutely gorgeous, and the courtyard area is beautiful as well. The food in the retaraunt was alright. As I said before we found the room, although dated to be clean and had a beautiful balcony overlooking the lake. The price was right and it had free WIFI which is how I'm leaving this review.

You'll be amazed (and have some good laughs) while exploring the nooks and cranny of this hotel. There is a swimming pool and hot tob with the Titanic theme that is something to behold.

I will definately be back and share this experience with as many people as possible.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2008

As a child I had always wanted to stay at this hotel. Now, I would not recommend it to anyone. The outside of this hotel is inviting and charming although becoming run down. The wood is rotting away and it is in desperate need of a paint job. The inside is so out dated, the decor is straight out of the 60's. My husband and I agreed that it would make a great location to film a horror movie, sort of like the Shining. At $150 plus tax a night I expected more. The rooms were that of a cheap motor inn, not a "chateau". The water was not potable, which made me nervous to even wash my hands. Wondering how the restaurant here could be sanitary with unsafe water, we decided to drive the 20 minutes back to Revelstoke to eat. The pool was small as was the hot tub, and again back to that contaminated water, had me nervous just to be in the pool. The pool also had a very creepy painting of the Titanic along with a description of the tragedy. Not the kind of thing you want to think about while swimming. I would recommend staying anywhere else in Revelstoke, and stopping at the gap only to visit the charming ghost town. With a few million in upgrades this place could be awesome.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family