“Excellent Views”

Three Valley Lake Chateau & Ghost Town
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Revelstoke
Reviewed 24 May 2007

we've just spent a night at the Three Valley Gap Motor Inn. It was a one night stop over while we were touring the Rockie Mountains. The view at this location was beautiful, with a waterfall, well layed-out gardens, and pristine waters. An excellent place for lots of photo opportunities.

We got a room on the 1st floor which comes with our own balcony. Which meant that we had access directly to the gardens, who's flowers were in bloom.

There is no mobile phone reception here, however, internet is complimentary! There is also limited TV channels. However, unstable supply of hot water to the shower deserves little praise, especially during peak periods (while many are showering). So shower early!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 January 2007

My husband and I stayed at Three Valley Gap for five nights in mid May as part of our Washington/ British Columbia honeymoon. I had driven by there many times as a child and had always wanted to stay. There were definite pluses and minuses to the experience but overall we loved it there. First off, the negatives: no a/c - luckily it wasn't overly hot yet in mid May so it was okay but I can see that in July this would be a real downer, the lack of tv channels - I think there were only 5 channels but luckily we kept busy exploring so it wasn't too bad and finally, the dated room we were in for the first four nights - it seemed like out of the late 70's and reminded me of my grandma's basement guest room, which was actually almost endearing about it and it made us laugh. Now for the many positives: LOCATION - it was soooo beautiful there!! Being early May there were hardly any other guests so it felt like we had the place to ourselves and I would sit in the gardens and write in my journal and enjoy the mountains and waterfalls and trains going by - gorgeous. Also the family restaurant - we had breakfast here each morning and loved it , I highly recommend the ham and cheese omelette because it was amazing, the layout - it was like a strange museum to explore and pretty quirky which I thought was part of its charm - the funny indoor garden and titanic themed swimming area made us smile. Finally - our last night we upgraded to the honeymoon suite The Cave and this room was amazing!! completely constructed out of rock , even the bathtub was rock and the shower fell down like a waterfall off the sides. highly recommended. We will definitely be visitng Three Valley again.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brekat
Reviewed 12 October 2006

Views incredible - I cannot deny. Good shower pressure. But I'm afraid the hotel itself is a dump.

The rooms are grubby and unkempt much like the rest of the hotel which is run by a chap who is a bit of a kleptomaniac. The 'Ghost Town' attached to the hotel is his collection of old trains, buildings and all sorts of nonsense which has been paid for over the years by the hotel profits. None of them seem to have been ploughed back into the hotel itself.

Give it a wide berth if you like cleanliness.

Stayed: September 2004
6  Thank Helen_W256
Reviewed 28 July 2006

A generally terrible hotel - we thought we were getting a lovely lakeside chateau - instead we got an over-rated roadside motel type of facility! Looks can be deceiving - from the outside it looks like a wonderful resort (and on their website). Looks like lovely gardens, lakeside with a small beach - don't be fooled - the lake if full of weeds as are the garden ponds.

We had e-mailed the week before to see if a reservation was necessary and been told the hotel was 75% full on the night we were arriving. We called from Ainsworth Hot Springs and booked a reservation two days before we were to arrive. The 75% occupancy quote would indicate that they were expecting at least 300 guests. When we went down for dinner at 7 p.m. there were 2 waitresses working, a few bus people (the bartender ended up doing table setting duties) and one cook and assistant. It took us 1 1/2 hours to get two hamburgers. Since you are more or less outside of any populated area you don't have any choice unless you want to drive all the way back to Revelstoke. Their excuse for this appalling service was that it is never this busy there!

The room was abysmal - very drab. No air conditioning and the termperature was 40 degrees (admittedly hotter than normal). They claim it never gets hot there because they are in the mountains. We live in BC and we know that it gets hot in that area on a regular basis, mountains or no mountains. The bathtub measured 4.5 feet in length and 18 inches in width. Anyone not tiny might be able to get into the tub but they would have a tough time getting out.

They don't even provide real glasses for drinks - plastic only. And to top it all off they provide styrofoam cups for your coffee and I think they get these free as they had advertising all over them.

All in all this was one of the worst, if not the worst, hotel we have ever stayed in. Judging from other reviews we are not alone in our opinions.

I will never choose another hotel without checking with Tripadvisor first - it would have saved us $120. per night plus the aggravation.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
4  Thank pizzadog
Reviewed 20 July 2006

When I booked our 2 day stay at 3 Valley Gap we were excited, imagine a 2 story room with a balcony overlooking a beautiful lake with a beach! When we arrived, on a very hot July day, we discovered that there is NO air conditioning, and you are only allowed 1 fan per room. It went downhill from there. We asked about booking to see a show at the Ghost Town theatre, all the brochures said to prebook, but we were told they were only having 3 shows this summer, and that was for the tour buses.

In our room, the balcony wasn't cared for, the cement was chipped and dirty and the patio chair hadn't been cleaned in a long time. After opening all the windows and discovering that the screen was ripped in 2 of them and non existant in 1, we decided to go swimming to cool off. After wandering the oddly put together hallways (the whole building looks like it was built at different times and attached even later) we found the pool.

The deck, walls and entire area looked like it needed a good hosing down, it was disgustingly dirty. The bottom of the hottub had a layer of sand on it, and I would be willing to bet that the pool did too, but it was too murky to see the bottom. We then went to the gift shop to have a look around, and my 10 year old daughter was excited to see they had wrapped "surprise" boxes, you know the kind where you buy them without knowing what's inside, usually stickers, candy that kind of thing. Anyway she picked one, paid her $2.99 plus tax for it and proudly carried it outside, saying it would be for the 3 of us to share (her dad and I and her) and opened it to find.....a toy car with scratches all over it and with the pull back broken. They wouldn't return or exchange it either.

We then went for a walk in the garden. Nice flowers and trees. The fountains and "stream" was gross. It was brown water choked with weeds and debris. The beach? Hard packed, with garbage, cigarette butts and weeds washed up and left on it. And maybe 3 feet into the water it was full of weeds. The kids play area is a slide and some swings, badly in need of updating, or better yet replacement. It started to rain, so we went in to our room to watch some tv and try to relax, but there were only 3 channels, because the kids channel didn't work.

We decided we would go down for something to eat, and debated on which of the 3 restaurants to try, we decided, but when we got to the door, it was locked, with no sign on it. So we went to the front desk to ask when it would open, and we were told "That restaraunt is closed and won't be opening, you can use the cafeteria or the family restaraunt." So ok, we went to the cafeteria and picked a seat in the railroad car, only to be told "sorry this area is only for tour bus groups".

So we went to the restaraunt, the food was alright, nothing special, I think my starter salad had 4 lettuce leaves, if that. So we grabbed some snacks on the way back to our room. We settled in for the night, and pulled our the hide-a-bed for my daughter. It was so thin you could see the bumps of the bars underneath it, so we took it off and made her a bed on the floor with some extra blankets we had brought with us.

My husband and I then went upstairs. I lay down and when I looked at the ceiling I noticed a hole in it, and when I looked closer I could see that the sprinkler was somewhere in there. My husband pulled back the covers and swore. Then he told me to get up and look at my pillow, because his had a couple of blood spots on it. This was the last straw, I made a list of complaints and he took it to the front desk, where most of what I mentioned was laughed at. How do you expect us to clean the beach, the pool, the fountains? Among other comments. They deleted our next day reservation, but wouldn't do anything for the current day. Oh, they gave him a new pillow. We left at 5 in the morning, as soon as it got light enough out. Don't waste your money, your time or your health on this place! It is the worst place I have ever stayed and I will never go back!

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled with family
6  Thank JeanetteC
Reviewed 8 November 2005

This is a unique place built and operated by the Bell family. It is in a superb location along side Route 1. The layout and and some of the decor is a bit eccentric but all the facilities are there including a cafeteria and a restaurant. Our spacious room had a great view of the lake but no air condtioning. The property includes a Ghost town comprising old buildings rescued by Mr Bell from various parts of Canada. There is also a collection of old cars and railway coaches and allsorts of interesting artefacts. The guided tour is well worth taking. There is also a large gift shop.
Above all the place is a wonderful tribute to the determination and industry of the Bell family over nearly 50 years. Do not miss it.

• Stayed: September 2005
4  Thank bpcs
A TripAdvisor Member
Littleton, CO
Reviewed 5 August 2004

The chateau is an odd mixture of good and bad: good restaurant (Uncle Ed's); good view (the lake); and entertaining show (Western songs). Bad: no a/c , making the rooms very hot during the day; very close to the highway and train, making it noisy; and old rooms.

The restaurant exceeded our expectations by serving an excellent steak. The western show was sparcely attended, which was too bad -- very entertaining.

The highway noise was not very condusive to sleep, nor was our room location (next to the ice machine). The room was a surprise, as it appeared fairly dated despite the exterior view of the hotel.

Our brief experience with the family restaurant was a definite negative, having a rude and impatient waitress after we requested seating at a different table (there was only one other party in the place). We left without trying the food -- why reward rudeness...

Uncle Ed's was a different matter - very good food and service. Highly recommended.

Would I stay there again? Probably not. I may eat at Uncle Ed's and then push on down the road for a different hotel, though.

17  Thank A TripAdvisor Member