“Great Little Place”
Review of Powder Springs Inn

Powder Springs Inn
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Revelstoke
Reviewed 5 January 2013

Ok so when I first booked this Inn I began to read all the reviews and got a bit worried. Some of the reviews were horrible and others were great, so what was it going to be like? Well when I got there I was extremely relieved to find that this place suited me and my parties needs. I think that is what it's about "Preference", so I wanted to give everyone the real low down on the Powder Springs Inn.

Me:
I am adventurous, but have never backpacked and I will not stay in a hostel or use "couch surf.com". I love a little pampering every now and then, but I understand value sometimes doesn't always come in little soaps and bathrobes. I have stayed in High end hotels and I have stayed in rental units off of flipkey.

Reason to be in Revelstoke:
To ride the mountain of course!

Location:
This place is in the heart of Revy, walking distance to everything, The Cabin is a great place to bowl and get your drink on (5-10 min walk depending how slow you walk). The last Drop (attached bar) good eats but smaller then I expected and it can get noisy and very busy inside the Bar later in the evening, but we couldn't hear it from our room. Its about a 11 min drive to the hills which is awesome cause everything on the hill was about 300$ a night! Parking is free for guests.

Im not gonna lie they didnt have much in Amenities, the internet was either not working or we were to far to get a signal, but to be honest we didnt bother asking them to look into it because we all had iphones with 6gb data plans so we just all made hotspots for each other. Regardless by the time we got home and ate we were so tired from all the riding that we really didnt need to turn on the computers. We did though love the FREE Aquatic Center passes! What a great place. Hot tub, lane swimming, 1 meter diving board, rock climbing wall, water slide, lazy river, kiddie pool, showering mushroom!!!! That place was soo great after a good work out!

The Room:
So I'll be honest it's not the fairmont or the hilton and the duvets could use some updating (only because of the print not because they're dirty in anyway), but I loved the cottage feel to these rooms. They were fair in size (we had 2 queens and a twin size cot in our room and still had room to move around), and I found the beds to be extremely comfy! There was a bit of in consistency in the bed firmness between the two but it worked out for us. My friend said the cot was super comfortable, and that he had a great sleep. We had a fridge and a microwave which came in handy to chill some drinks. It was a bit dark in the bedrooms, they could've probably bought better lamps for them, we took off the lamp shades to help with that.
When we first got in the room was boiling, we couldn't figure out the thermostat, then I believe they turned off the heat, then it was a bit cold, they told us they needed to "bleed" the radiators before being able to turn them back on. They ended up giving us a space heater which worked quite well because we had positioned the cot in a way that it was blocking the pipes. Regardless they found a solution in no time. A little unconventional but it worked.
The bathroom was pretty large, clean and came with soaps and towels. The bathtub was clean and had hot water. I think that's all one wants in a bathroom right?

Noise:
Allot of people complained about the noise in these reviews. I do agree that if they ever revamp this place to add a little more insulation between the walls and get heavier doors would be a great investment to their clients. We initially asked for a quiet room though so they were kind enough to give us the end corner room on the upper level. There was one night where we had some people in the hallway make a bit of noise but other then that I slept sound, oh well minus the snow plows but hey im not complaining that just means more snow on the hills. Oh and whoever mentioned the trains must have super human hearing because I never heard the trains at all in the room?

The Staff:
For anyone who had said that the staff sucked ....... maybe they were having a bad day? I had Naomi, Todd, Christine, and I believe Stephanie assist me on the phone and while I was there and I have to say I have never had better service. Todd especially since I called like 5 times to double check my booking, make changes, and take time to calculate which package was better for us. He was always ready to help, and make sure all my questions were answered. Fly the in house FREE mountain guide was super cool as well, unfortunately we didnt know he was a FREE guide to Powder Springs Guests but I did get to talk to him while in the lobby every now and then and we always had great conversations.

Im not sure if i have left anything out? In all I think this is a great place for us looking to shred, that yes could use some sprucing up but there is always room for improvement in the Hotel business. Like I said it's preference and lets face it people this is a true ski town that has just started to modernize give them a break. You don't go to Revelstoke to sit in a spa, you go there to shred till you pass out!

Powder Springs has great rooms for great value, awesome people, and a cottage feel. Maybe in time they will keep on upgrading.........or not either way I really love the place and will definitely be back next year!

Thanks guys had a great time!

Room Tip: let them know if you're a light sleeper or not and im sure they can find you a room like ours (w...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank littleskim

Reviewed 22 September 2012

Having read some very negative reviews about this hotel I felt I just had to add my two-bits worth! Admittedly, Powder Springs is not the Savoy of London nor does it claim to be but my wife and I were treated to a better welcome and received better service than we had just days before at a very pricey hotel in Lake Louise, namely the Mountaineer Lodge.

The desk staff on duty, Naomi, Todd and Stephen proved to be polite, courteous, knowledgeable and very professional. Naomi's welcome made us feel like the lost beloved cousins returning for a visit and Stephen and Todd who handled our check-out made us feel sorry we had to leave so soon.

The accommodations were more than adequate and the complimentary breakfast was par with those offered at 'pricey' hotels.

To cap it all, Powder Springs included one item in its room I had not found at any other hotel, including pricey Fairmont hotels and such ..... a huge desk capable of handling two people working their portable computers! It even included a sturdy pull-out keyboard/portable tablet! and enough electric outlets nearby to service all those nasty power cables and such!

Would I recommend the Powder Springs to my friends? You bet. Would we return to the Powder Springs Hotel? Can't wait!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2012

Took a risk and booked the hotel - very disappointed. Curtains were broken, air con was unreliable, and the wifi didn't work which the front desk didn't fix.
We had booked online a package which stated it included breakfast - they declined to honour the breakfast stating that we were "out of season" - no refund was offered and the manager was VERY rude when we presented our booking printout stating the breakfast inclusion.
We also ate dinner in their bar bistro - the food itself was ok but again the service was just atrocious and included the on duty staff visibly drinking with their friends while on shift and ignoring the rest of us paying customers - simple burgers took over an hour and the bar was nowhere near busy! Will not return by choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank Mad_ELK
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Simply the worst hotel I have ever stayed at after traveling many parts of North America and the European Continent. Rooms were a disaster! Aromatic Stench on entering room! Hot Tub hasn't been operating for months. Some spaces down to studs and insulation. Parking lot closed for "Beach Volleyball Tournament". Little consideration for paying customers. Quite a mess with all that sand! Halls and carpets filthy! Only upside was friendly staff and decent free breakfast. Don't waste your money here. Stay Away!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ExeterPaulC
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed here on our recent vacation only due to bad planning and should have known it wasn't going to be good since every other place for miles was completely booked. Very old rooms with original fixtures I'm sure. Somewhat clean although our rug was sticky and there was a hair in the tub. Room also had a very musty smell to it and I got quite a shock turning on a lamp. Water pressure was bad and free breakfast was nothing to write home about.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Corinna W
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Although every hotel in Revelstoke is over priced, I had hoped for better than this for $100+ for the night. The entire hotel was old and tired and needs a major rehab. The room was gloomy with two long skinny windows and vertical blinds that didn't cover them. The carpet and bathroom were probably cleaner than they looked, but I wouldn't walk barefoot.
Reception staff were pleasant and breakfast was good. There was a handy bar/restaurant attached that was okay - luckily, we couldn't hear the live musician in our room.
I have to say that there were worse-looking places in town, but I would not stay here again unless I could get the room for what I consider to be its true value of about $50 a night.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room away from the courtyard and bar.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SVTraveller
Reviewed 4 August 2012 via mobile

The rooms stink, old dirty, blinds dont even cover the windows and barely hanging. No plugs for the bathtubs, crowded rooms and outdated. Front desk staff not that friendly, very noisy uptown bar to close to the rooms. One of the worst hotels I ever stayed at should be 60 room not worth 112.

• Stayed: August 2012