“Hockey tournament”

Ranked #14 of 18 Hotels in Revelstoke
Vernon, Canada
“Hockey tournament”
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Sandman Hotel the last weekend in November for a hockey tournament. They are in the midst of renovations, which was not an issue but the front desk staff were some of the most unpleasant I have ever had to deal with. Upon check in, they were busy which was to be expected. The senior lady who was working seemed to forget what a smile was. They had to expect a rush as it was also opening weekend of the local ski hill. Any questions I had were quickly interrupted. The other lady I had the "pleasure" of talking to throughout the weekend was just as sour. I believe her badge said "Manager". Upon check out, I was not asked how I enjoyed my stay, not even so much as a Thank you, come again.
The housekeeping staff was, however, very personable and friendly! Great ladies and clean rooms! The beds were comfortable.
Just a suggestion but front desk staff may want to take a refresher course in hospitality!

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Melanie T
Sherin A, Manager at Sandman Hotel Revelstoke, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Ms. Trevelyan, thank you for connecting with us directly in order to provide us with the details of your most recent stay experience. We regret to hear about the circumstances you have encountered during your visit and would like to extend our sincerest apologies to you .Should you decide to stay at The Sandman Hotel Revelstoke in the near future, we would like to provide you with a very different stay experience; at your convenience please contact me at Doo_revelstoke@Sandman.ca .

Sincerely
Sherin A Majeed
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 7 November 2013

I booked this room for my son and daughter-in-law and her brother, along with their 2 cats, who needed a hotel to stay in, at the last minute on their move from Edmonton to Burnaby. Dead tired, they could not drive anymore. They arrived at almost midnight to find friendly front desk staff, a quiet well appointed room, and very comfortable beds with good pillows. Very pleased that they were able to have their cats in the room. $10 extra for each cat was posted on the hotels.com website but they were not charged for it. Although I was not the guest, and my family was, this is what they reported upon their arrival at my home the next day. Excellent all round.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vicki T
Gordon B, Manager at Sandman Hotel Revelstoke, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for your kind words. It really makes our day. A good nights sleep is so important when you are driving through the Mountains. Glad we had the opportunity to be of service.
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Absolutely disgusted with this hotel. Dirty dirty dirty. Horrible customer service! Never had such horrible service before in all my travels. From a "NAME BRAND HOTEL" Wouldn't even deliver a towel to the room until I got pissed off. Paid too much for the room and they didn't want to bring us a towel? When I was talking to front desk the guy sighed after everything I said and did not seem to be interested in anything I was saying. Breakfast was the only good thing, Plus it smelt as if pot had been smoked in our room.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
We can only try to fix these things if you let us know. Please contact me so I can investigate and hopefully help our employees to do a better job for you and all our guests.
Penticton, Canada
Reviewed 27 October 2013

The desk clerk was friendly, personable and helpful. She gave me a map of town and told me the best dining spots. We stayed in the newer building and had a really nice, comfortable room. Our room had a large flat screen TV ,fridge, microwave and a comfortable bed. The room was clean throughout. The free wifi worked well. The hotel has a fitness center, indoor pool and a Denny's on site. It is walking distance to town and there are many fast food and other dining options nearby. The only thing it didn't have was free breakfast.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Gordon B, Manager at Sandman Hotel Revelstoke, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thanks for the kind words. I hear our front desk staff daily and I know they try hard to make people feel welcome so I love to hear your praise.
Vancouver
Reviewed 10 October 2013

It's not the best Sandman I've stayed in but it certainly was clean and comfortable. Checkin was easy and the woman at the front desk was very pleasant. I had one of the renovated rooms which was very nice. I like that it comes with a fridge and microwave and Starbucks coffee in the room....the Starbucks alone was worth it! There's also a Keurig machine in the lobby. The bed and pillows were very comfortable. Very conveniently located just off the highway next to a 24 hr Denny's and Tim Horton's across the highway. I drive through Revelstoke 3 or 4 times a year and I think this will be my new overnight hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank yvrflyer
Gordon B, Manager at Sandman Hotel Revelstoke, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for the kind words. We continue to upgrade our Hotel in order to provide you with a product that makes those overnight stays as comfortable as possible. It is a company initiative and we really do have great beds. If you are staying with us often I hope you have a Lucky 13 card. Make sure you ask for one the next time you stay.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 September 2013

The motel was large and we had difficulty finding the reception but other than that there were no problems but feel most motels these days provide complimentary breakfasts but not this one as they expect patrons to use Denny's which is on site.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh

1 Thank 123Ozz
Gordon B, Manager at Sandman Hotel Revelstoke, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Thanks for your comments. As i said in a previous feedback Breakfast is a marketing strategy which we consider often. We feel that having a Denny's 24 hour a day restaurant and Bar One Lounge are also an advantage and a feature that some people prefer. We are not likely to ever have both. When we price our rooms we always take breakfast into consideration. We are very aware of where we sit in the market place and our pricing reflects the level of amenities and services we offer. Some people value our pools and hot tubs others don't.

Glad the rest of your stay was good and hope you have a great time in Canada.
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We felt this place was a overpriced, although it was the Thursday before Labor Day weekend. It's outside of town, and not within walking distance. Breakfast is not included, but there's a Denny's restaurant on site.
The room itself is old-fashioned, yet updated. The counter in the bathroom is very low - as is the water pressure! Soft towels and nice bath products.
Bed was comfortable. We used our white noise app and slept well.
The flatscreen TV only had analog programming....c'mon!
Overall, not a bad place, good and clean, but I'd probably stay downtown next time.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your feedback. That is true we are not right in town which is an advantage for some and not for others. Revelstoke does have a really nice downtown area which is only 10 minutes walk away or a very short drive. Next time you are going through take the time to discover it.

Breakfast is a marketing strategy. Some hotels choose to do it and others don't. With a full service 24 hour Denny's on site we think this is a great feature. When we look at pricing against our competitors we always take the breakfast into consideration and price accordingly.

We haven't finished updating all of our rooms. You mentioned counters and those will all be marble and there is new cabinets in the bathroom and for the fridge. They look great. They are coming soon.

One of the downsides of being in a smaller community is technology. We really don't have all digital cable in town yet so no one has it here. Sorry we keep asking. The other thing is internet. There is limited bandwith available so it really won't seem like high speed to those coming from major communities. Believe me if it was available we would have it.

Glad your bed and linens where nice as that is essential. Hope you do stay in Revelstoke again whether in downtown or with us. Revelstoke is a hidden gem!