“Serves the purpose” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Princeton
Invermere
“Serves the purpose”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night passing through town. Standard room, clean and quiet but needed new pillows as they were lumpy. Everything else was fine. If you have time drive onto Osoyoos for more options and nicer scenery.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank PanoKnS

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

The room was pretty clean and we had a fairly comfortable stay. The whole place seems a bit outdated, but it was fine for our purposes. Appreciated the pool and hot tub after a long day of cycling. Breakfast was a nice touch - again, not fancy, but it got us going in the morning which is what we needed (although I found it slightly odd that it included what I assumed was leftover sushi from the restaurant). If you make a reservation beforehand, make sure you keep track of the price you were quoted - we were charged $10 more than what we were told over the phone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sylvia B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

This motel was pretty average. Our room was clean. The pool / hot tub were nice. The breakfast was decent and included sushi. Overall it was okay.

One complaint is that we were quoted a different (lower) price on the phone than we were charged.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

Room 17, Checked in about 9PM. The electric heat was turned off and the room was cold. Turned the heat on full. By 11:30 PM it was still cold though the tiny heater was on and producing heat. Crawled into a freezing bed and spent a half hour warming my feet up so that I could fall asleep. By morning the room was warm. The bed was comfortable but the floor was cold - slippers recommended in winter. The room is small and everything worked.

Room Tip: If travelling in winter make sure the heat is working.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelingGlenn
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

The only good thing about this hotel is the young woman at the front desk. The room was freezing regardless of how high you put the thermostat up. By morning the Bathroom had flooded and was unsafe to turn on lights, because of leaking from the roof. The sink was poorly put together and had a hard time turning off. They were supposed to have a pool, although they would not put on the heat or the lights. The only thing usable was the hot-tub. They could not even close the door of the pool area due to ice forming on everything there. I will be warning people in the hockey association and any other sporting association to not utilize this hotel for future tournament. I would not even rate this hotel but it is required. It was that horrific...

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Angela F
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were looking for a two bedroom with kitchen unit and usually stay with the Princeton but their rooms of that type were booked so they suggested the Ponderosa might be an option next door. We returned to the Princeton (single room with a kitchen) after about 15 minutes at the Ponderosa. The first off putting encounter at the Ponderosa was in the office where they are running a sushi take-out! The whole room smelled of fish in a fish-plant sort of way, not in a “yum I think I’d like sushi tonight” kind of way. I shop at Fujiya Japanese Foods in Vancouver, BC, and it never smells like a fish plant, despite being a very large wholesaler and retailer of Sushi prepared on site. This fishy smell did not bode well for the standards of the establishment. The next sign that things were not up to snuff was when I asked for a two bedroom with kitchen. The proprietor told me he only had one bedrooms. I thanked him but said I’d return to the Princeton since they were a very nice motel and had one bedrooms available. The Ponderosa proprietor said: “What are they charging? I can charge less.” I told him that that wasn’t how I was selecting a room; I know the Princeton and it is very clean and well run, I was just hoping for a larger suite. The Ponderosa proprietor then told me he had a larger suite. What? How did that happen? Suspicious now, I asked to see the room. He gave me a key but as I stepped out to the courtyard a group of EIGHT teen boys stepped out of the room next door to the room I was on the way to view. I then looked around and saw other clusters of teen boys mingling about outside of other rooms in the corridor. I returned to the office and handed back the key, letting the proprietor know that staying in a motel full of teenage boys was not the type of restful experience I was looking for in any size of room. I told him it was unlikely any traveller who was not a teenage boy would want to stay in the room adjacent to eight of them! Later I learned that a hockey tournament was in town … had I not gone to look at the room just then I would have been in for a long Saturday night of no sleep, while listening to what teenage boys do in a small town motel when gathered in a large group. I suspect the reason the two bedroom was not mentioned until I was going to return to the Princeton was because the Proprietor knew no body in their right mind would want to stay in it under the hockey tournament circumstances, but when I was going to depart for the alternative one-bedroom next door, he decided to send me to hockey tournament room for his benefit, not mine.

Room Tip: The Princeton next door is really clean and quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Coonhounds
Victoria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed at the ponderosa for only 1 night just as we were passing through on our way to Osoyoos. The hotel is old but clean and well-kept. The guy that runs the place is really nice and was willing to stay up until past midnight to check us in to our room (we tried a couple of other places in Princeton and they all closed by 11). My husband called directly to make the reservation and ended up getting a better price than if we had booked online so probably best to call for a reservation.

The room - very standard room with fridge, tv bathroom and bed. It was clean but the furniture etc. very outdated and carpet looked very old.

The food - a nice little breakfast was included with the stay, muffins, croissant, eggs, toast, fruit and coffee. It was a nice spread for a breakfast included with your room.

The pool - nice big indoor pool, we didn't get a chance to use it but it looked quite nice.

Overall a great place to stay for a night while passing through but not sure I would want to stay for a vacation.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family