“just what I wanted”

Ranked #7 of 13 Port Alberni B&B and Inns
Victoria, Canada
“just what I wanted”
Reviewed 8 June 2010

I had 4 fabulous days at this B&B. The property was gorgeous, the bed terrific, the breakfasts fantastic and the hot tub so perfect at the end of the day. The separate entrance to my suite gave me the independence I wanted, but the owners were always available and willing to offer assistance if that was needed. Breakfast was at my convenience and was always a different and tasty treat. Each of the rooms offered something unique; my suite was filled with sunlight and very well equipped. I highly recommend this B&B and all it has to offer.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bedford UK

The rooms,
The peace,
The breakfast,
The location.

It turned out to be a great base to tour the area.

Stayed October 2009
Edmonton
Reviewed 7 December 2009

We stayed in the Hummingbird Guesthouse last March. There are different levels of accommodation there, and all have a private entrance. We stayed in the Eagles" nest which had a good view of the garden. It was quiet and had loads of books and a TV equipped with sattelite TV. The place was spotless and the bed comfortable.
Breakfast was ample and lived up to the country breakfast title. The room was warm with a electric fireplace.
They do have larger accommodation which is equipped with kitchens.
The resident dogs are friendly and don't mind being taken for a walk. They are unobstrusive and stay in their own part of the yard.
Port Alberni has lovely walking trails and good restaurants. The dock boasts quaint coffee and gift shops.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kirstykatey
Campbell River, B.C.
Reviewed 5 November 2008

Absolute Greed
I booked the the best room they had for one evening Jan 3,2009, as this was to be packaged up with tickets for the finals for the world U17 championships, it was a grand prize for a fundraising raffle for minor hockey.
It was booked with and held with my visa
A week later they phoned demanding I book it for the whole week as they knew all the rooms in town are booked for the week of the U-17's and cancelled my reservation that was held with my visa.
Out and out greed with no respect for the law or the consumer.

Stayed January 2008
7 Thank U17
Victoria
Reviewed 29 February 2008

A HUGE MISTAKE!
This B&B looks charming from the outside but keep on going!
1) Noisy you can hear people in the suite next door and the owners or managers on the other wall.
2) Horrible Beds!! We stayed in a room with a "King Bed". The King beds are really 2 singles pushed together with king sheets on them. We were crippled from this horrible bed and our son was at one point in the night stuck between the 2 beds it was so horrible. We were sore for weeks and spent alot of money on Chiropractic care after this 1 night stay.
3) Breakfast? Not here. The owner or manager told us and another guest the time to have our breakfast in the morning. The time worked for us and we told him what time we would be checking out. 2 hours later after his set time I had to leave
and still no breakfast served.
4) Bathroom with full view for people walking by the main road porch.
5) No where near the self described "luxury" B&B.
6) Pets of the manager or owner that were horribly cared for looked like they were never washed or had their poor hair combed, roaming around the property. Shameful.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Its was a horrible experience
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank CFGS
OwnersPortAlberni, Owner at Hummingbird Guesthouse, responded to this review, 12 May 2008
This guest has chosen to file an anonymous complaint, 8 months after their stay, with tripadvisor rather than to us at the time or to write their comments in the room’s guest book. Each room has its own phone or they could have come to the front office door. To determine which guest this might have been, more for my own personal information, I used a combination of our accounting system, registration forms, registration book and all 4 guest books from each of the rooms. The only clues they give to their identity are they live in Victoria and “they” are a couple and a son. Since all our rooms are very distinctive and not your run-of-the-mill cookie cutter variety, their description of a bathroom with full view for people walking by the main road porch, means they were staying in our newly renovated Dogwood Room, formerly the Magnolia Rm. The 4th review letter in this very file, as you can see for yourself, is from a Philly guest who stayed in that same room, that very same month (June 2007) and they have quite a different opinion of our business and us.

We take great pride in our choice of beds, which are high-end and often described by guests as heavenly. Wayne prefers firm while I like softer so when we agree on a bed, we know that we will be satisfying most of the general population. We opened the B&B three seasons ago so none of our beds are older than 3 years. Our website clearly indicates that our king beds can be split apart to make 2 super singles. We use warrantied moisture-absorbent mattress pads under high-thread count sheets. This versatility helps us cater to the various groups, like fishermen and father/son, mother/daughter, etc. When non-couples are booking with us, we always ask if they’d like the beds together or separate. Wayne & I have personally slept in all the rooms to ensure quality control. Our friends and relatives stay in these rooms, when they visit, rather than our own spare bedroom, so they can make suggestions on how we can do things better. We are very open with our guests, too, letting them know that their comfort is our first commitment and that we appreciate any/all their suggestions. The Dogwood Rm is our only room that is not able to accept more than 2 people. And yes, children are considered to be people. We do not allow 3 people to share one king bed as we do not feel it is conducive to the guests’ comfort nor is it good for the maintenance of our mattresses. At no time, during the summer of 2007, did we ever have 3 people registered in that room. The rates for our rooms are based on double occupancy with an extra person charge of $20 per night. Again, we did not receive any extra person charge for the Dogwood Rm during the summer of 2007. And yet, the guest clearly indicates they had at least one child in that room with them. The Dogwood Rm is our least expensive room. An upgrade to a room that could accommodate up-to 2 more people would be an extra $15 per night, plus the extra person charge.

I’m sure all of us have slept one night on an uncomfortable bed while overnighting at a relatives or friends. Or perhaps while camping. I have never needed chiropractic care for weeks after. In my experience, the previous days activities are usually why I’m stiff and sore. Activities like hiking, kayaking and ocean fishing that families often do while on vacation.

The Dogwood Rm is an inside room, meaning it only has 2 windows and a skylight for light, all in or near the private bathroom. Many guests love how dark that makes the bedroom for sleeping. The one window, in the bathroom, is frosted so only shadows from outside are apparent. The other window is in the room’s hallway leading to the bathroom and is covered with blinds for privacy. On our website, we have numerous pictures of each room as well as a video that shows a sweeping view of each room. We want guests to be able to chose the room that best suits their needs. Pre-booked guests are led to their rooms after registering and we are more than willing to upgrade them if the room does not suit or to refund their money if they change their minds altogether. In this particular case, these guests were drop-ins. All drop-in guests receive a full tour of the property before we take their registration. The twin headboards, butted up together, are very evident and so are the window locations. If this did not fit with this guest’s needs, why did they choose to stay with us?

We serve a full, home-cooked breakfast between the hours of 7 and 9:30 am. The first guests to check in chose the time they want and late-comers (as drop-ins often are) are asked to fit in. We often serve 2 sittings, as some guests need to leave early while others like a more leisurely time, chatting with the other guests. For guests, like fishermen or those catching an early ferry, we provide a self-serve breakfast of bread to toast or biscuits, homemade preserves, fruit, along with the ever-present porridge and individual-sized cereals. Breakfast is served in our common area / breakfast nook, on the main level, right outside the Dogwood Rm’s door. We cater to special dietary needs such as gluten-free and diabetic friendly. As this guest indicates, there were other guests, and so they all would have eaten breakfast in this area. Coffee, tea and juices are on the table approx. half hour before the chosen time. Warmed grapefruit with brown sugar sprinkled on the top is served once we see guests start to assemble. Followed by a variety of pancakes, French toast, poached eggs and toast, bacon, sausage and/or bowls of fresh fruit. At no time has a guest ever had to wait more than 10 minutes for their breakfast and leaving without eating, is always the guest’s choice. This guest does not indicate any pro-active action on their part, during their supposed 2-hour wait. This guest mentions other guests that were supposed to be having breakfast at the same time, however, does not mention these guests having any trouble at breakfast.

And now for the pets. Since they do not even list whether they are talking about cats or dogs or both, I will discuss both. We have 2 dogs for whom we built a very expensive cedar fence and aluminum railing system so they have access to a huge front yard, a shaded veranda and their dog door into our mudroom where their food and water are kept. Our dogs were used to roaming the 40 acres, at our previous home, so we needed to ensure their safety as we now live on a major highway as well as the enjoyment of our guests. At no time do our dogs roam. So this guest must be talking about our 3 cats.
Guests love the pictures of two of our cats on the website and we’ve found the cats add so much to the guests enjoyment while here. Many guests leave here knowing each of their names and their personal idiosyncrasies. Jasper was aptly named “The welcome kitty” by one guest because of his penchant for hanging out near the office door and rubbing up against guests’ legs. We still call him that and he takes his duty quite seriously. All 3 of our cats are short hair and they do a fine job of grooming themselves. This guest thinks we should be forcefully washing our cats. No thanks! I don’t need a hospital visit for scratches from head to toe. Did this guest possibly consider that maybe they were seeing a stray wandering in our unfenced backyard?

I have tried to be fair in my response to this guest’s complaints, however, I must end by saying that I do not respect someone who does not have the courage to own what they say. Our guest books are filled with comments from guests who date and sign their names to their work, as well as include their addresses, for all the future guests to read.
Nanaimo,BC
Reviewed 26 August 2007

The Hummingbird Guesthouse is the worst place to stay. The owners are rude, disrespectful and completely unprofessional. I stayed there the night before my wedding with my bridesmaids and they kicked us out at 1:30 in the morning because we were scrap-booking too loudly (we were sitting on the carpet gluing pictures onto paper!). One of the owners (Cheryl) barged into the room without knocking or giving warning (which is illegal) and then proceeded to scream at us that we were "juvenile delinquents" (5 out of six of us are either teachers or are in university to become teachers) and “didn’t give a [--]” what we had to say. Cheryl then proceeded to grab one of my bridesmaids by her neck and started to choke her (a police report was filled and is pending). She tried to throw our belongings over the balcony (including the scrapbook) and grabbed my sister’s cell phone as she was trying to call my mother. The whole thing escalated enough that we had to call my mother and she came over promptly to listen to Cheryl tell my mom that she should be ashamed of herself.

I was completely appalled by the Hummingbird Guesthouse’s actions towards myself, my friends and my mother. I have never been treated like this in my life and I would NEVER recommend this place to anyone.

• Liked — Nice area
  • Disliked — horrible customer service
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
9 Thank lori_f4
OwnersPortAlberni, Owner at Hummingbird Guesthouse, responded to this review, 11 May 2008
On Aug 17, 2007, the complaintant was booked into our Sunburst Ste, along with 5 of her bridesmaids. We’ve booked similar hen parties before and enjoyed the pre-wedding festivities. This time, we received numerous complaints from other guests regarding the excessive noise coming from the Sunburst Ste. Each time, we politely asked Lori to settle down, suggesting they should take their party to the outside hot tub or the games room which was in a separate building so that other guests would not be disturbed. At 2 am, we were awoken by a phone call with yet another guest complaint. This time, we told Lori to shut down the party immediately. When she refused, we evicted all 6 of them. The Innkeepers Act only allows for one warning, then it advises to call the police to have the offenders evicted. Our mistake was in trying to handle the situation ourselves.
Port Alberni
Reviewed 25 August 2007

I stayed one night at the Hummingbird and it was hands down the worst accomodation i've ever stayed at. The Management was extremely rude. There was no privacy due to management entering our accomodation unannounced. There were animals wondering the premisis. There was noise comming from management (below) all hours of the night. My stay was not what I expected for what I paid. I left feeling angered and frustrated. I would not recoment this place to anyone unless you like to be woken up at all hours of the night.

• Disliked — Management
  • Stayed August 2007
9 Thank kadeeja
The reviewer is one of the 6 girls staying in our Sunburst Ste for a hen party, the night before one of them got married. This letter is about the same incident as the bride herself wrote about. Our response is exactly the same as it was for the bride. We no longer do hen parties, out of respect for our other guests. We, however, still love to have the wedding ceremonies and receptions on our gorgeous 2 acres of gardens. Our Fireside Ste is the favourite for honeymooners.