“week of summer with grandkids”

Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Nanaimo, Canada
“week of summer with grandkids”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

A wonderful family resort, extremely helpful staff and the one bedroom condo was amazing. Two bathrooms with a large soaker tub...AWESOME! In room laundry, spacious rooms. Grandkids had a blast!! And so did Nana! Thank you

Room Tip: enjoyed ground floor which gives easy access to pool
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
British Columbia
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed here with our family will visiting family in the Parksville area. We had a ground level suite that was right facing the pool and a few steps away. Untraditional in a bit f a time share accommodation in that they don't clean your room daily (only upon check-out) but if you need anything just ask and they were accommodating. Nice bedroom, beautiful bathroom. Spacious living room. Huge kitchen with 4 chair breakfast nook, All appliances and in-suite laundry an a gas BBQ. Additionally all of you pots, pans, coffeemaker, toaster etc are there so it's like being at home. Pool area was very nice and clean and well used but not too busy. Not very many resorts have an outdoor pool in town and this one is nice. Only downfall was the lack of air conditioning. Not sure why they wouldn't have included those.... Location was pretty good. On resort row in Craig Bay. A short 2 k run to Rathtrevor Beach or you can walk to the beach and along which, while shorter, can be eliminated due to high tide. The tide goes way out and walking out a kilometer is very realistic. Lots of fun for the kids and if you fade right and head towards Rathtrevor their is a lot more sand and places to sit. If you like the beach its a great place to be. Highly recommend staying here. Especially if you have a suite and are calling this 'base' for some time.

Room Tip: ground level pool rooms are awesome
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My family and I recently spent 5 days at the Sunrise Ridge and it was wonderful. Rooms were nice and comfortable. We had a one bedroom suite with a pull out couch in the living room and both beds were very comfortable. Our suite did not have A/C but we were provided with a fan and temperature was fine even when it got quite hot out.

I loved the fact the we had our own kitchen, bbq and washer and dryer.

All of the stay were friendly and accommodating. My daughter loved the pool and we spent a lot of time just swimming and enjoying being outside.

Just a short walk really to the beach as well we say deer more than once which thrilled my daughter!

We will definitely will be coming back next year!

Kelly

Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

We are staying here right now and there is no air flow. It is so hot! I booked a room with AC but did not receive one. Windows open, fans blasting and it is raining outside. Thank god the weather is crappy or we would be dying in this place. Would never stay here again!!

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Sunrise08, General Manager at Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Hello Cindy G,
I was surprised to read your review, as there was no indication on your reservation through Booking.com that you had requested air conditioning. The last 2 days have not been hot sunny weather, but still quite warm and extremely humid. This definitely adds to the discomfort. In your review, you mentioned that you requested a room with a/c but didn't get it, however when speaking with you today you mentioned that the booking.com site said we were air conditioned so that is why you booked here. I am sure you heard the complete surprise in my voice when you mentioned this and I explained that we have been extremely careful to make sure there is no mention of air conditioning on any of the third party booking sites due to the fact that a/c is only available in some of our rooms and we do not want our guests to expect to have it and be disappointed. I immediately went to the site to check, and could not find anywhere on the site that had any indication of air conditioning in our units. I would appreciate it very much if you could send me the information or a link to where you saw this, so I am able to fix it and avoid any further disappointments. You could email the information to generalmanager@sunriseridge.ca All the A/C rooms were booked when you arrived, and unfortunately we could not accommodate this request at that time.
Our rooms are truly lovely, and I really do hope you change your mind regarding "never staying again", but next time perhaps make the additional request for air conditioning.
Robynne Shaw
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Checked in aug 1 and departed aug 3. Got a partial view of the ocean and stayed in a one bedroom suite that connected with a studio one bedroom suite. The two rooms connected through a small front entrance hallway.
The resort grounds were well manicured. The swimming pool was great for the kids. They loved it.
The fitness centre is really a small room with a treadmill, recumbent bike and an eliptical. Small and not air conditioned which made it very hot considering the temperature was 30 plus degrees. No cups to fill up with water while exercising. But that was minor.
We were given a later check out and that was appreciated.
The first night was almost unbearably hot. None of us in the group could sleep as the units did not have A/C. Thankfully the second night we got a portable A/C unit that helped a lot. The front desk were accommodating and understanding the situation.
The only negative comment I will make is one front desk person seemed a wee bit irritated and it felt like we were inconveniencing her.
However, Joanne who checked us in was amazing. She even gave excellent sushi restaurant recommendations and arranged for a bike rental to be picked up earlier than normal for my husband who wanted to mountain bike at six a.m..
Thanks Joanne for your service.

1 Thank Lryu
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My understanding is that this is a time-share resort that is not yet fully sold or constructed. The prices are significantly better than at the nearby resorts, but based on what I saw in friends' units in some of the other resorts, I think that the rooms at the Sunrise Ridge are better equipped. The resort is very much like other time share places I have seen, with clean, modern, comfortable, fully-equipped units where you could stay for a week or two. I was alone and staying for only two nights, so I rented a studio unit. It was on the ground floor. It was rather dark, because of the need to keep the blinds closed to have some privacy. There were windows on one wall only which did not allow for cross ventilation. There was no A/C, but fortunately, it was not hot when I was there, so the temperature was not a problem. Because of the location on the ground floor next to the garbage containers, there was some noise occasionally, but it was much quieter than many other hotels where I have stayed. There was no noise from other units. I did not use the pool or exercise room, but they appeared to be in excellent condition. If I return to Parksville, I would not hesitate to stay at the Sunrise Ridge, but I would ask for a larger unit above the ground floor. Overall, I think the Sunrise Ridge offers excellent value for the cost, especially compared to the other resorts in the area.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quieter and have better ventilation. Some rooms have a reasonable view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Evadvan
Reviewed 14 July 2014

The family went for a week long vacation to Vancouver Island and enjoyed the stay at the resort. The room was well equipped and didn't lack anything. Sufficient cook-ware and utensils and the BBQ on the patio was clean and worked well, too.
The pool was well maintained and clean. Kids had a blast!
Little bit of a walk to get to the beach.

This is NOT a hotel but a resort. so don't expect room service and daily fill ups on shower gel, etc!
Front desk was very friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: paying a bit more for the "partial ocean view" is well worth the $$$.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family