“A Mixed Experience”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Victoria, Canada
“A Mixed Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

The good:
We stayed in a studio cabin, which was quite nice. The bed was comfortable, and the room was clean and overall met our needs. Our cabin had a wood fireplace, which was a welcome experience being we live in a small place in the city and don’t get to have wood fires often.

The bad:
We could clearly hear our neighbours through the wall.

The package we bought included Grotto Spa mineral pool day passes, and we were disappointed (pissed off) to find out the spa was full when we tried to go there. I would have thought that space would be reserved for those who bought packages with spa passes, but I suppose not. We ended up having to rush to the spa the day we checked out, which made the experience not as relaxing as it could have been. Staff refused to compensate us for getting ripped off on our package, well aside from an "I'm sorry".

The ugly:
Dining at the Cedar Room was very disappointing. For the cost, I expected fine dining. Instead, the food was fried, strangely sweetened and the quality of service did not align with the expectations brought on by the high prices. The cost of our meal should have resulted in a five star experience.

Overall, I much prefer the Beach Club Resort in Parksville. We will not be going back to Tigh Na Mara. Overall, this place has been very highly hyped, but our experience was very mediocre.

Room Tip: Choose your rooms wisely as there are many different options.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jonathan V
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Thank you Jonathan V for your review and your honest feedback. I'm glad you found your Cottage to be clean and comfortable. Yes the wood fireplaces in our Cottages are a very popular feature as so many people no longer have wood burning fireplaces.

I am sorry you were asked to return at a different time when you went to the Grotto Spa to use your Mineral Pool passes. I'm assuming you stayed over the Remembrance Day long weekend. It was an unusually busy weekend with both the Resort and the Spa fully booked. The issue at the Spa is locker space in the change rooms to change out of your street clothes into our robe and slippers. Even when the Spa is fully booked with treatments there are still a number of lockers available for walk-ins, and we did accommodate a number of Mineral Pool passes each day of the long weekend. It must have been a particular time during the day when no lockers were available. I'm happy you were able to return the following day but understand it was not as relaxing because it was at the end of your stay. I would be happy to provide you with a couple options to rectify this if you would contact me (I don't know your name to contact you).

I am sorry you did not feel your dining experience at the Cedar Room was worth the price. The Cedar Room has since closed, is currently under renovation, and will re-open November 23rd as cedars restaurant and lounge. New ambiance, new chef, new food, new service. The new concept is contemporary rustic cuisine and average prices will also be a little lower. We are very excited about this change and hope you will try our new, unique concept and best lounge in Parksville.

Jim H.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

We are fortunate to visit Vancouver Island almost every year. As part of our visit, we always stay at Tigh-Na-Mara for a few days. It has never failed to deliver a relaxing, memorable experience. We like the little cabins. They are cozy, well appointed and provide a woodsy experience while surrounded by the excellent services Tigh-Na-Mara has to offer. Our daughter loves the play area and the pool, and the resort is safe enough to allow her some freedom to explore on her own. During the summer, they show outdoor movies. Bring a blanket, get some popcorn and lay out under the stars. It's a fabulous family place. While we aren't the spa types, the spa at Tigh-Na-Mara is widely known for it's hospitality and services. The beach isn't Southern California, but it is only a short walk down the bluff and provides an awesome view across the straight to the Mainland. Tigh-Na-Mara is also only a short drive away from Parksville and Coombs. Two fabulous mini-golf courses, the Goats-on-the-roof market and Cathedral Grove's massive cedars are all must-sees in the neighborhood. If you only have a few days in the area, Tigh-Na-Mara is the place to stay. If you are lucky enough to stay for a week, you'll never leave...

Room Tip: If you have a family, the cabins are for you.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for the great review, but especially for choosing to stay with us each time you visit Vancouver Island. We really appreciate your repeat business!!

I'm very happy your family enjoys our rustic, woodsy cottage experience along with all the options we have at the Resort. These include our Pool House (pool, whirlpool, sauna, fitness room) and Sport Court, Grotto Spa with 2,500 square foot mineral pool, variety of F&B options, Gift Shop and our Seasonal Recreation Program.

Please note we began a complete renovation yesterday of our Cedar Room and Copper Lounge. This space will re-open Saturday, November 23rd as cedars restaurant & lounge as a completely new concept - new menus (rustic contemporary cuisine), new ambiance, décor, everything.

And yes, when it's time to explore the area we have a great mid-island location to get out and see the sights. I was at Cathedral Grove yesterday and it is always a wonderful experience.

Thank you for your review. We look forward to your next visit,
Jim H.
Victoria, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

As we were pulling in, we were excited to have arrived, we were staying for 2 nights... We drove to our room and we had been redirected because there was a wedding going on outside, which was totally fine I thought it was pretty romantic. We got into our room (studio ocean view) it was really nice had a cabin feel, definitely had a beautiful view of the ocean, comfy king size bed, & a fire place to warm up too. As we got settled in we noticed wood bugs everywhere.. it was kind of disturbing, we tried not to pay attention to it. Later on that night we went too Copper Lounge and had some drinks which were delicious! & the atmosphere was nice.
In the morning I got woken up too the noise above and beside us. You would know when the people above was having showers... You could hear the people beside us slamming there door and when they would be in front of your room talking, because how the the entrance to your room and there room was. House keeping also knocked on our door accidentally in the morning...which was kinda annoying.
We did some exploring that day which was a lot of fun, relaxing, & beautiful... We also experienced the mineral pool at the grotto spa, it was nice... the service was friendly and informative. When we got a tour of the area I was excited to go into the pool and the idea of the minerals relaxing my muscles... we really enjoyed the experience...
Overall the room was really comfortable, and cozy... Mineral pool was great.. but we both thought that it was a little over priced for what you get.. We paid 195$ per night and 40$each to swim in the mineral pool.

Room Tip: Top floor might be quieter in the ocean view room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MissEgan25
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Thank you MissEgan25 for your review and for choosing Tigh-Na-Mara Resort for your 2 night stay from Victoria. I'm glad you found your Ocean View Studio to be really nice and cozy with a beautiful view of the ocean. I am sorry about the wood bugs. Although we are located in a forested setting and get our share of wildlife, wood bugs are a very uncommon comment. I hope you mentioned this to someone while you were here so we could act on it right away.

Our three ocean view buildings are condo style with three floors. Our Gabriola building has 27 units, our Ballenas building has 9 units and our Texada building has 53 units (all our buildings are named after local gulf islands and our conference rooms are named after local mountain ranges). Our Ocean View Studios and Suites in these buildings can be booked as separate units or as one adjoining suite, as they have a common front door which leads to separate doors for each unit. Our Deluxe Ocean View Studios and Suites are individual units. Yes, when staying in buildings with multiple units, you will be able to hear your immediate neighbors using the exterior stairwells, closing their front door and water running for showers/tubs. We do have a number of guestrooms, like our Rustic Cottages, which are private accommodations with no other rooms attached if you prefer this option.

Really happy you had a chance to explore our local area. It is beautiful with many parks, beaches and hiking trials. Then relaxed and enjoyed our Grotto Mineral Pool. I see that you state you were charged $195 per night, but it was $167 - I assume you are adding the government taxes to the room rate. Some people do think that $40 is expensive for access to the Grotto Mineral Pool, and I would agree if it were only for one quick soak. The concept is that you get a "day pass" to the Grotto Mineral Pool and the 3rd floor Relaxation Lounge - where you check in, change into your swimsuit and our robe & slippers, then spend a couple hours of your day relaxing, going in & out of the whirlpool and Mineral Pool, which is infused with detoxifying minerals and trace elements as well as enjoying fresh fruit and teas in our Lounge - reconnecting with someone special or with yourself.

Thanks again,
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We were so impressed with this resort! We stayed for 3 nights in an ocean front room and the view was magnificent. Our room was spacious, accented with high ceilings and sky light, with a very comfortable king size bed, fireplace, full kitchen, fast internet, and all very clean and well kept. At the spa we thoroughly enjoyed the mineral pool and hot tub then had a couples massage, which was heavenly - the staff were very courteous, professional and welcoming. Afterward, we enjoyed theTree Top tapas - what an experience! The food was simply amazing. I had never had anything quite like it and going to dinner in bathrobes was a first! We felt like VIP's the whole weekend; the service there was top notch. I also have to mention the Sunday brunch which was very impressive. My only regret was getting too full too fast and not being able to try more of the incredible selection that was offered. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for a relaxing get-away.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you Kathy B for coming to Vancouver Island for a 3-night relaxing getaway from Calgary, and for choosing Tigh-Na-Mara as your destination resort!

Sounds like you stayed in one of our Deluxe Ocean View rooms on the top floor (hence the vaulted ceiling and skylight) and I'm happy you found your room to be spacious, well-appointed and very clean. The view is magnificent isn't it? I never get tired of seeing it.

Yes, our new internet service with Shaw Business is very fast, up to 15 Mbps download speed. We've received very positive feedback in the past month since we installed this new system.

Great that you enjoyed a Couples Massage, Mineral Pool and Endless Tapas while you were here. Like you said, it is a very unique experience.

I'm thrilled to read that our service throughout your visit was very courteous, professional and welcoming.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you need a relaxing getaway!
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

What a gorgeous spot! This was my first time to Tai Na Mara and had always heard how beautiful this place was....in reality it topped everything I had heard. The setting is breathtaking! Peaceful and tranquil, this resort offers a one-stop weekend getaway. The Grotto Spa is extremely well appointed and conveniently located across the resort main buildings. The rooms are rustic, with fireplaces and large enough for two or more. We ate at the Tree Top Tapas which was fantastic - 5 star food and dining experience - and excellent service. All the staff were wonderful. Will definitely return!

Room Tip: If you want seclusion choose one of the cabins throughout the property but if you want water views c...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Thank you Reenie18 for your great review! Total peace & relaxation is definitely how we want our guests to feel after staying with us. Sounds like you and your friends really enjoyed not only the breathtaking setting, but also that you didn't have to go anywhere else once you arrived. You enjoyed your rustic guestroom, the Grotto Spa and our Treetop Tapas Restaurant with excellent food and service. We think our staff are wonderful too!

You are right that our Cottages offer more privacy but if you want the ocean view the Condos are the way to go.

Very happy that you chose to stay with us for the first time after always hearing how beautiful it is here, and even happier that you will definitely return!

Kelowna, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

I'm a travel agent, and I do a bit of travelling, as well as talk to all my clients about their accomodations. The ocean front rooms in this resort would be quite nice if they were clean.
We arrived at 7 pm, checked in, the staff were very nice and check in was speedy. We got to our room, very limited room for parking. Our room was on the bottom level of the 3 storey structure. We were expecting an ocean view room, but there were trees grown over most of the view. It was obvious as soon as we got in the room that it hadn't been used for a while. It was extremely cold - the heat had been turned off for quite some time. There was moldy toilet paper not flushed in the toilet, and my husband just about ran into 2 large spiders on webs that were created on the patio. I phoned right away to ask for a different room, but they were full for the night. The manager offered to send us a bottle of wine or some appies at the restaurant, we settled on appies and the staff delivered fresh towels. We then discovered that the current towels in the room had been partially undone and there was long hair over the wash cloths. YUCK. At this time, I started wondering if the bed sheets had been changed. I called once again to the front desk, they were very nice and tried to make this right. I asked that they send their housekeeping staff to quickly go through the room and clean it. We were going for dinner, so there would be plenty of time to clean it up. We arrived at the restaurant to find that they were completely full for the rest of the evening, so we settled on the lounge. When we told the wait staff our situation, they confirmed with the front end manager, and relayed the message that they would pay for our 1st drink as well as any appies we would like. That was a very nice gesture.
When we got back to the room, it had not been cleaned, so I walked to the front desk to talk with the manager in person. She was very nice and explained that the housekeeping staff had been in to change the bed sheets, which was the case, but they hadn't touched anything else. I had hoped they would at least clean the toilet and possibly sweep the dust bunnies from under the table, and get rid of the dead spiders that my husband killed on the patio. By this time, it was too late to go anywhere else, so we made due, grateful that our sheets were at least clean.
Somewhere around 4:30 in the morning, someone in the suite above us was a very heavy walker, and was up and around for about an hour - possibly getting ready for an excursion?? The walk ways to the 2 levels above the ground floor rooms were right over top of the lowest floor bedrooms, so all the traffic on those was quite loud as well.
As I said before, the staff were very accommodating and apologetic, but it just didn't get rid of the creepy crawly feeling wondering what exactly was cleaned since the last guests.
Definitely not worth the high price they charge there.
They rely far too much on their spa to bring in guests, and need to bump up their housekeeping services. We made the reservation a day in advance, so they knew we were coming. They should have had ample time to clean and freshen up the room, and perhaps turn on the heat to make it welcoming for us. And clean out the spiders complete with webs!

Room Tip: Do not get an oceanview room on the bottom floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TanaJ5
Thank you TanaJ5 for your review. As you stated, you made your reservation on Friday afternoon for Saturday night, and as we were fully booked yours was one of the last rooms available. Your reservation was for an Ocean View Suite for 2 nights on our Fall Frenzy Special ($149 midweek, $169 weekend includes $30 Resort Credit). Unfortunately we discovered a pinhole plumbing leak in the room you originally booked on the day of arrival which resulted in us upgrading you to a Deluxe Ocean View Suite at no extra charge. This may be the reason why your new room had not been inspected prior to your arrival. It still should have been inspected and warmed - no excuse - and I have discussed this with our Housekeeping Manager. We are sorry for the housekeeping issues you experienced. We think the toilet paper had been placed in the toilet as part of the cleaning process, then flushed but it came back up and was not re-checked after flushing. To have spider webs outside your room on the patio is a challenge for us - despite our efforts to knock them down we are in a forested area and spider webs outside can reappear quickly.

On the positive side, thank you for your kind words. It sounds like your room itself was quite nice, staff were very nice and check in was speedy. I'm happy that you let us know of your concerns and gave us the opportunity to correct them, and that our Team was very nice and tried to make this right. Unfortunately a room move was not available as we were fully booked, but we did change the bedding, provide new towels, provide complimentary drink & appetizers in our lounge, as well as a rate reduction for your inconvenience.

Thank you again for bringing your concerns to our attention. Your feedback is very important to us as we continue to strive to improve our guest experience.

Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed in a forest view spa cottage. The large room and bathroom were clean, clean, clean. Room features: Incredibly comfortable king-size bed, little kitchenette with fridge, coffee maker and hot plate, murphy bed, gas fireplace and sitting area, patio doors out to a little patio. There is a spa, fitness area and small pebble beach with a gorgeous view. We enjoyed breakfast at the Cedar Room and had some seriously fluffy pancakes. The wifi was free but the connection was sketchy. The resort was a three minute drive from Rathtrevor Provincial Park and Beach.

Only stayed one night but we slept, ate, and relaxed. Couldn't ask for more.

Room Tip: Stayed in Valdes cottage. Five minute walk to the beach. Located directly across from the spa.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you Bee072 for posting your review. So happy you were able to come away from your 1-night stay with us feeling so relaxed! I see you stayed in September. Please note we launched a brand new Wireless Internet service in October that is far superior to our old system you refer to as "sketchy". No more sketchy!

We do have a great location beside Rathtrevor Provincial Park, a wonderful beach and gorgeous views. I'm glad you enjoyed your Spa Bungalow Studio with the kitchenette, gas fireplace and Murphy bed. And yes, our buttermilk pancakes are seriously fluffy! I like them with our blueberry compote and smoked bacon. OK, now I'm hungry.

Jim H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
#1 of 13 in Parksville
Sunrise Ridge Waterfront Resort
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!