“Long weekend family getaway”

Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Reviewed 4 May 2014

With a family of 2 little ones and one Grandad in tow, we were looking for a coastal getaway without much driving from Vancouver. Ending up at the Tigh-Na-Mara resort was a fantastic choice. Less than 30 minutes off the ferry at departure bay and we were in the parking lot checking in. Everything was better than expected and well laid out. We stopped for four nights in one of the Grotto Spa cabins as these have two bedrooms and the extra space needed. They were well equipped and quiet. The regular indoor pool was great for the kids and easy to walk to, along with the playground. With direct beach access there is no reason to have to get in the car and it's really easy to kick back and relax. Parksville is just a couple of minutes up the road to restock groceries if you needed to. We enjoyed the Grotto Spa for a few hours, paying for a treatment such as massages gets you use of the pool and spa which leaves you feeling a million dollars. The beach fronting the resort and extending to Rathtrevor park is awesome for the kids to play, great for dogs and makes for a few easy walks.
The only issue is trying to find the time to come back and enjoy more of the area and the comfort that the resort offers. Top place, we would go back anytime of year.

Room Tip: Grotto Spa cabins are great if you want/need a little more space.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2014

Thank you Zoe S for your fantastic review, and for choosing Tigh-Na-Mara for your long weekend family getaway. You're right, we're only 30 minutes from the Nanaimo ferry so it's a great way to start your holiday by taking a leisurely ferry ride and not much driving. And once you get here we have everything you need therefore not much need to drive around unless you want to explore the area. I know when I need a getaway I don't want to drive too much once I arrive at my destination.

Glad the kids enjoyed the pool, playground and beach and you the parents were able to get away also to the Grotto Spa for a few hours.

Thank you for recommending our Spa Bungalow Suites. They are a little more spacious than most hotel rooms and we're very happy you found them to be well equipped and quiet.

We hope you're able to schedule some time out of your busy schedule to come and visit us again soon.
Jim H

Write a ReviewReviews (2,353)

Reviewed 2 May 2014

If you are looking for (1) breathtaking views, (2) serenity, and (3) relaxation then you have to stay here. My fiancé and I were looking for a quiet, relaxing getaway from the bustling east coast city where we live and a good friend recommended Tigh-Na-Mara. We stayed for 3 days and couldn't have been happier or more relaxed. A must for someone looking for a stress free get away!

The room was great and consisted of a full kitchen, whirlpool tub, and fireplace - more than what we needed or even expected. The view was definitely the best part of the room. Every morning we woke to high tide and by the afternoon low tide revealed a huge stretch of beach worth exploring.

Highly recommend the dip and dine experience at the Grotto Spa. You will, however, stuff your face...consider yourself warned...

Room Tip: Definitely opt for an ocean view room, it's worth it!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you jenfervan for your glowing review. And congrats to you and your fiancée on your upcoming wedding! We definitely strive to be the "perfect retreat from the city". Usually we're thinking of Vancouver but I guess it works from Philadelphia too! Just a slightly longer travel schedule to get here before you can begin to decompress. I think you should visit at least once a month.

We're very happy you found what you were looking for in your quiet, relaxing, stress-free getaway with breathtaking views. Thanks for recommending the ocean view rooms and our "Dip and Dine" at the Grotto Spa. It is a very unique experience.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Loved the spa! The pool was incredible! The cottage was sweet and enjoyed the fire place :) the beach went over well with my dog too :) she enjoyed the stay too! Super easy to access and the staff are very nice and helpful! The spa lounge is always welcoming :)

Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

Thank you TracyLDavidson for your review. Always love to hear that our staff are very nice and helpful! Great that you enjoyed our Grotto Spa with the Mineral Pool, your Rustic Cottage with wood-burning fireplace and walking the beach with your dog.

Sounds like a great getaway,

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I stayed here for one night and I'm so incredibly happy that I did. Tigh-Na-Mara is beautiful, peaceful, and relaxing. I spent about two hours in their spa moving from the hot tub, to the mineral pool, to the glacier shower, and back again. We stayed in a room right on the beach, which had absolutely gorgeous views, and my friend and I actually fought over who got the murphy bed because we both wanted the fireplace and the waves to listen to at night. We ate dinner at the restaurant, which was delicious and extremely accommodating, as we had a few in our group who were gluten/lactose-free. Would definitely look into having a weekend getaway here again sometime!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you Rae_Winchester for your "perfect" review and for visiting us all the way from Savannah, Georgia! Thank you for your kind words - beautiful, peaceful and relaxing. That's funny, I've never heard of anyone fighting for who gets the Murphy bed before, but you're right, you get the gas fireplace and can sleep with the sliding door open to listen to the waves. The Murphy beds have new Simmons mattresses and are so much more comfortable than a sofabed mattress.

We're thrilled that you and your group of friends enjoyed your weekend getaway including the Grotto Spa and our cedars restaurant.

We're fairly well known in these parts but thank you for spreading the word about us in the southern US.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 2 days and 2 weeks later.came back with my entire family. 2 dogs a baby, toddler and my wife. My wife and I went to the mineral pool and tapas and I haven't been so relaxed and then full of amazing food in forever.
The views were breathtaking. The staff were great and had recommended fabulous sushi near by. We walked to.our cabin and saw deer. Seriously awesome . Thanks everyone at tigh-na-mara for.making our stay the best in years .

• Stayed: April 2014

I'm so happy Redfr0g that you found us, and we're right in your backyard! I'm assuming your first visit was for a conference, and you liked Tigh-Na-Mara so much you brought your family for a getaway 2 weeks later. Thank you so much for letting us know you think our resort is the "most beautiful friendly relaxed place" you've ever been and that you had your best stay in years. As you said, seriously awesome.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I loved the electric fireplace, full equipped kitchen, and the luxuries of home in the log cabins. It was a comfortable and relaxing trip with the ocean, woods, animal life, and snow capped mountains. And of course the SPA!! Love this place.

• Stayed: March 2014
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

Thank you Soccer3333, I couldn't have said it better myself! We are all about providing a comfortable and relaxing escape from the stresses of everyday life in a beautiful, natural setting. A place to reconnect with nature, with your loved ones or even with yourself. I'm thrilled you took that experience away with you.

Thanks again,

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Lovely property, great for beach walking and just sitting back and relaxing. We used it as a base to explore, Qualicum falls, Cathedral Grove and Englishman River Falls. The bungalow suite was very comfortable, although the kitchen could have used a couple of good sized coffee cups and a couple more tea towels...just a suggestion. We enjoyed the Lounge for appies and a glass of wine, but found the Cedar restaurant a little pricey and the same reason we did not use the spa.
There are a couple of great pubs with interesting atmospheres and good food.
All in all well worth the cost.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cherry M

Thank you cmwx13 for choosing Tigh-Na-Mara Resort to be your "home base" while you explored the area. In addition to our beach, you visited some great parks. There is so much to see and do in this part of the island. Next visit I would recommend Horne Lake Caves, Top Bridge Park and the North Island Wildlife Recovery Centre. The Coombs Market is a fun place to visit too. Happy you enjoyed your Spa Bungalow Suite and our cedars lounge. If you like pubs, I hope you found the Black Goose Inn, which is just a short stroll from our resort. If you like wine you should come back in February for our annual Parksville Uncorked festival weekend, or we do offer wine tasting seminars as part of our seasonal recreation programs.

Like I said, so much to see and do it's worth another visit,
Jim H

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ocean Sands Resort
Ocean Sands Resort
#2 of 13 in Parksville

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!