“A wonderful time was had by all”

Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I just returned from my daughter's wedding at the Tigh-Na-Mara Resort. What a wonderful experience. The wedding went off without a hitch thanks in part to the excellent staff at the resort. The entire venue was magical.

I stayed in a small cabin. It was lovely and rustic in the very best sense of the word. I needed an early check-in and the resort was accommodating. Something I really appreciated.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thank you ImpactMike for your wonderful review! So happy your daughter's wedding was the huge success it deserves to be and thank you for pointing out our team were excellent and the venue is magical. Glad too you enjoyed your cottage and especially that we were able to accommodate your early check-in request. As you know this can be a challenge but we do the best we can.

Thanks again!
Jim H

Write a ReviewReviews (2,353)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed here for a wedding and our room smelled of dead fish. When I told the front desk I was informed I could purchase some air fresheners in the gift shop.

I wrote a letter to customer service and was assured it had been dealt with at their team meeting. They apologized but no attempt at compensation was made either at check out or to convince me to come back. I will not be going back

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle K

Thank you Michelle K for your review.

We were able to accommodate your early check-in request, as you were attending a wedding the afternoon of your arrival. After check-in, when you reported the odour in your room, Housekeepers were dispatched to re-check/clean the room and sprayed the room with our equivalent of Febreze. After which we did not hear back from you so believed the issue had been resolved.

If you notified us after Housekeeping had visited your room that the spray had only temporarily resolved the issue and the odour had returned, we would have been able to offer more options. But to not mention it until check-out doesn't provide us the opportunity to solve the problem for you. As you said, we were "VERY" apologetic at check-out and you were assured we would act on your comments.

We received your letter on Tuesday evening and our Front Office Manager replied first thing (7:36am) next morning with our apology and explanation of the steps taken in terms of follow up. Your letter stated "my reason for this letter is to make sure there was some follow up on the issue". I'm not sure how this equates to terrible customer service as you received a detailed explanation of the follow-up?

We are sorry this detracted from your overall experience. I understand you feel the suggestion to purchase a scented candle or air freshener from the gift shop was not appropriate and that we should have provided this for you free of charge. This was simply intended as a further suggestion for your comfort in addition to having Housekeeping check the room. If that was specifically what you wanted you could have let us know at the time that this would address your concern?

I can assure you we take guest comments very seriously and have addressed this issue as we said we would at check-out and as we detailed in our follow-up letter. The room has been deep cleaned. The Front Desk and Housekeeping Teams have been addressed on how they can better handle this situation in the future.

I trust you enjoyed the wedding.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Our family of three is set to check out tomorrow morning after four great nights at the resort. We have stayed here numerous times in the past but have really taken to staying in the rustic cabins. They offer great privacy and provide everything you need to enjoy your stay. Perfect for families. I see a few people mention cob webs or dust....it has never been an issue for us. You need to understand that you are staying in a heavily wooded area so the odd cobweb might happen. I guarantee if you phoned the front desk with the high level of service provided here they would send someone over right away to deal with it.

The staff were first class all the way, from check in, to the restaurant to on the grounds everyone treated us well.

Rathtrevor beach is amazing.....low tide opens up kilometres of walking and exploring and when the tide rolls in over the warm sand the swimming is great and probably the warmest on the island.

Now I was crushed to learn that the pancakes were not always on the menu in the morning.......I was looking forward to those all the way from Alberta lol...please put them back on the regular menu !!

With some careful planning this resort will have the room type and experience you want....from families to a couple we have stayed here as both. We are really looking forward to coming back and think we will try the off season in November next time for a change to see what that may offer.

Thanks for another wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Call the resort first to discuss what type of room will suit your needs and style...they have a lot...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank jdander

You're welcome jdander for another wonderful stay and thank you for writing your fantastic review! I see you posted this review while you were still here - gotta love social media.

Thank you so much for returning year after year from Alberta. Very happy your family loves our Rustic Cottages. You're right, they are in a forested area so there can be a little more wildlife than most people expect at a resort, but that connection with nature - the woods and the beach/ocean - is a big part of the charm of our property and what makes it special and unique.

Thank you for pointing out you received great customer service from all areas. I will be happy to pass on your pancake request to our F&B manager.

I think November is a great idea. It's much quieter. It can be grey and rainy but very mild and definitely a different winter experience than Alberta!

We look forward to welcoming you back,

Reviewed 8 August 2014

I stayed in a log cabin and though it was rustic it also needed serious cleaning inside. The washroom was clean but the whole place needed dusting inside...there were dust bunnies under everything. The bed was the worst I have ever slept on. I had to pile every pillow I could find on the bed to make it halfway decent for sleeping, but had a stiff neck the next day. The log cabins are close to the beach but not close to the mineral pool, so keep that in mind. The mineral pool experience was overrated unless you are willing to shell out lots of money for extras, like massage, etc. The whirlpool is too small to accommodate more than four people comfortably. The restaurant is nothing special. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Log cabins and some hotel rooms are close to the ocean; others are across the street but near the mi...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 48Dianne

Thank you 48Dianne for taking the time to write a review. I'm sorry you feel our rooms and spa are overpriced. This is our peak season and room availability is very limited. In our off season we sometimes have very attractive room rates when we have more availability, either on our website or special offers to our newsletter subscribers.

The Grotto Mineral Pool is actually designed to be an added value for spa guests as it is included in the cost of any of our spa treatments (manicure, pedicure, facial, massage, wrap, etc). This way for the cost of a 60 or 90-minute treatment our spa guests can arrive early, enjoy a soak in our mineral pool, then have their treatment, then continue to unwind afterwards in our spa lounge, easily enjoying 3 hours of relaxation for the cost of 1 hour. There is a charge for guests to use the mineral pool only if they are not having actual spa treatments.

Our Pool House also has a pool, whirlpool, sauna, fitness room and rooftop patio. This facility is complimentary, as is guest use of our sport court, parking, wifi, and business centre. Many other resorts charge extra for these services.

I have shared your comment about the dust bunnies in your cottage with our Housekeeping Manager for action. I am surprised to read you didn't enjoy your sleep experience, as we use very high quality Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop hospitality mattresses and receive guest praise on a daily basis about our mattresses and pillows. It must be very different, either softer or firmer, from your mattress at home that you are used to.

Thank you again and enjoy the rest of your summer,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

I recently enjoyed a long weekend at Tigh-Na-Mara, our family had a 2-bedroom cabin in the Grotto Spa area of the resort (across the street from main check-in, restaurant, and beach access. The atmosphere is woodsy, rustic, and reminds me of a campground, easy enough to walk around, but if you want to go into Parksville you'll want to drive. The cabin was a little crowded with too much furniture but beds very comfortable, spacious bathroom, and overall I was quite happy with the accommodations.

The members of our family range from 2 - 92 years, and everyone enjoyed the resort. Beach access is a fairly steep hill but a drive to Parksville or Qualicum Beach is recommended for a much better beach experience. Also used the pool once and it was too hot/humid in the pool room - wish they had an outdoor or rooftop pool, that would have been much better.

We dined at the resort's restaurant (Cedars) for breakfast (order a la carte and get the continental buffet included) - I feel the breakfast was too expensive although you do get a lot of food. Great for those with BIG appetites. We opted to drive into Parksville and make use of our cabin's kitchenette for breakfast the remaining days. Also had dinner at Cedars, which was a veggie burger and kids meal - large portions and good service.

The only complaint that I have - since we were a large group with many rooms - at check-in, I understand that because of privacy, they cannot give out room numbers. But we had asked to leave a message with our room numbers for family so that when they checked in they could call us (especially my 92 year old grandmother). These messages were not given, and when family asked for each others room numbers, they were given a flat, 'No', with no offer to call through to the rooms from the reception phone. People (without cell phones) were left to wait to connect with family members and ultimately resulted in a lot of confusion and lost time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank sunshower82

Thank you sunshower82 for choosing Tigh-Na-Mara for your family's long weekend and for your review. We're so happy to read that every member of your family (from 2-92) enjoyed the resort!

Charming, woodsy and rustic are good adjectives to describe the property. I'm glad you liked your 2-bedroom Spa Bungalow Suite with very comfortable beds and spacious bathroom.

Very sorry your family members did not receive your message upon check-in. You are correct, for security reasons we do not give out any guest room numbers but passing on a specific message is something we do all the time and should not have been a problem.

Hope you enjoyed all your time in BC and on Vancouver Island,

Reviewed 2 August 2014

Excellent greeting by reception and immense effort to help familiarise us with the resort.
Our suite was in the lower floor of a log built 2 storey block.
Inside regretfully disappointing. Drap decor. No wall art. Dated kitchen, bathroom + fixtures and fittings from the 80's. Old spot lighting. Fast internet but with an on sometimes signal. No A/C in probably untypical 30C heat. Fans were supplied and once the sun went down sufficed.
Lots of kids albeit well behaved.
Wouldn't want to stay here again.
Nice enough location but there are so many better more modern choices.

Parksville. The sort of town you drive through and don't stop or at best stop for a burger if you're hungry then drive right on.

We are on a bespoke 3 week road trip organised by a quality tour operator. After so many fab resorts this one and the town is by far the worst. We'll be suggesting they give this one a miss for future travellers.

We drove from Uclulet to get here, the aim being to get the ferry in the morning and to end up in Whistler on the afternoon. My advise if you're doing the same. Rise early in Uclulet, cross the island in 2 hours, avoid Parksville, then catch the ferry and arrive same day in Whistler, which is a swell, cool location.

Room Tip: Look for somewhere more modern
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denis D
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you Denis D for your review all the way from Hartlepool! I am sorry to hear that Parksville in general and our resort was not your particular cup of tea. I see that your 3-week road trip was organized by a tour operator and I'm not sure how involved you were in the process of customizing your tour. We certainly have a wide range of room types. From your review I would think you would have enjoyed staying in our Spa Bungalows as they are newly renovated with modern light & plumbing fixtures as well as lots of colourful local art on the walls.

Of all the attributes this part of Vancouver Island has, modern and cool are not high on the list. People travel here for the natural beauty and a relaxed pace of life where they can reconnect with loved ones, with nature or with themselves. I can see how that may not translate to a 1-night stopover as part of a busy tour.

Thank you for your comments on the quality of our service and location. I hope you enjoyed your time in BC.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

I had the Signature Lavender Body Balance...it was dreamy. My therapist was Alannah and she was so amazing with a beautiful touch! The mineral pool before treatment was a wonderful touch and the massage table I was on was the most comfortable I have ever been on. This treatment included a scrub, a mask and then after showering off and beautiful body butter application with a hint of lavender that was just perfect! My only regret is that I didn't purchase the body butter...highly recommend this treatment Lori Schille

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Lori S for your high recommendation of our Grotto Spa and specifically the Signature Lavender Body Balance treatment! It will be my pleasure to share your comments with Alannah.

Very happy you enjoyed our Grotto Mineral Pool and our massage table. It's not too late to purchase the body butter - just give us a call and we can mail it to you.

Thanks again and I hope you and your family enjoyed your visit to Parksville.
Jim H

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
Kingfisher Oceanside Resort and Spa
Ocean Sands Resort
Ocean Sands Resort
#2 of 13 in Parksville

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!