“Great Hotel, disappointing restaurant”

Tigh-Na-Mara Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Parksville
Reviewed 19 August 2014

This is a wonderful hotel, especially for families. I would not hesitate to stay in the hotel or to visit the spa (the grotto is lovely) and treat myself to the Spa's endless tapas (the best I have ever had!). My only beef was to do with the lumpy pillows (bring your own if you can) and even more disappointing was the main restaurant. For $20 some dollars, you can have a plate of lettuce with a small piece of fish on it. We would definitely not go back for dinner (although the continental breakfast is good, especially the scones). The service was incredibly slow and even though we informed them that it was a special anniversary, they were non-responsive. When sat next to a table with yelling kids and asking to have another table, our hostess seemed rather put out.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Thank you ProfNana for your review. Very happy to read you think this is a wonderful hotel, the Grotto Spa is lovely, and the Endless Tapas experience was the best you've ever had! Fantastic compliments! I will also pass on your comments about your dinner experience to our F&B Manager.

If I can pass along one tip for dining, especially if it is a special anniversary as you stated - in the summer we offer a "Kids Eat Free" special for seatings between 4:30-6pm. So this is when most families with young children dine. A later seating of 7:30-8pm is generally much more quiet and romantic.

I hope you enjoyed your time on Vancouver Island and that you will come and visit us again,

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Our family stayed at Tigh-na-Mara July 9-16, 2014 for our daughters wedding July 12th, This is such a beautiful location for a wedding. We stayed in a 2 bdrm Spa Bungalow, The accommodations were perfect, very spacious with full kitchen and living area and very clean.This was a destination wedding for us and most of our guests.Our daughter was living in Vancouver. We had 88 guest in attendance for the wedding, staying anywhere from 2 nights to a week. We used the green space by the gazebo most evenings for a social time with our guests, it was a great meeting spot and perfect for the occasion.
Now for my daughters wedding day, I cannot say enough about how terrific the entire Tigh-na-Mara team is, everything was beyond perfect. From the planning stages with the wedding coordinator, to the spa services and private lounge in the Grotto spa for the bridal party to the ceremony set-up at the Gazebo and lastly the banquet services in the Grand Moriarty room. The food was amazing. The entire Tigh-Na-Mara team was so accommodating, we couldn't have asked for more.
The area also has spectacular scenery, we did a day trip to Tofino with our wedding group, visiting Cathedral Grove along the way. Another day went to Englishman River Falls close to Tigh-na-Mara. Some went to Campbell River for whale watching and others just for sight seeing. Lots see and do in the area.
I would highly recommend this resort, and would love to return one day.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeanette M
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Thank you Jeanette M for your high recommendation! What a beautiful review - makes me want to get married at Tigh-Na-Mara - but I'm already married. My daughter's only 14 so hopefully it will be a long time before I have to start thinking about a wedding. Perhaps we'll renew our vows! My wife would like that.

All kidding aside, we couldn't be happier for your family, your daughter Meghan and her husband Greg. Sounds like your destination wedding was a smashing success - from the location to the accommodations, service, food and even sight-seeing. We are honoured that you selected us to be your destination for such a special occasion.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Do not book a two bedroom cottage. On one side you will hear the traffic noise from the nearby highway, on the other, the bedroom window is six paces away from the road. It feels like cars are driving through your bedroom.

We found the front desk staff to be testy and unfriendly.

The single advantage of this hotel is the magnificent beach of parksville.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you johncaro for your review. While I don't know which guestroom you stayed in, I don't think it was a 2 Bedroom Cottage as these are located in the middle of our 22-acre resort and not really anywhere near the highway. Our 50 Spa Bungalow units are located around our Grotto Spa which is the area of the resort that is closest to the highway so perhaps it was one of these. Regardless this is not a common complaint. Summer is busier of course but generally the traffic is much less at night.

Not sure if you requested a room move to a different location? We have a large property so this may have been a good option to get further away from the road. I'm sorry you found the Front Desk staff to be testy.

Thank you for complimenting the beach - I agree it is magnificent.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

My daughter's favourite part of our stay was the Build-a-bear workshop. Which is a separate activity you can sign up for during your stay. She and I also enjoyed the 'Milkshakes and manicures'. We both got our nails done in the salon and were treated to a milkshake and I was offered a martini. She is six and loved the special grown up attention. My two older boys (11 and 8) and my daughter also went to 'dinner and a movie' in an area set up for kids activities with staff supervising and helping. They had a great time and while they did that, my husband and I slipped over to the spa for 'dip and dine' which is soaking in the mineral baths followed by 'endless tapas' in the treetop lounge. It was so nice that my husband and I could get away for some adult time.

Room Tip: You can bring your pet so there are certain cabins assigned as pet friendly. We liked our cabin. It...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Lynn H for your review of our Seasonal Recreation Program. We're very pleased to offer the most comprehensive resort recreation program on Vancouver Island in the summer as well as Christmas and Spring Breaks. Not that it happens all the time but we do have some families tell us their children choose to return to Tigh-Na-Mara over going to Disneyland.

I would say the focus of our program is definitely the kids - but we're building in more activities for families to do together as well as programs for teen, tweens and adults. Our Sand Sculpture Contest is a great example - families spend a couple hours together building a sandcastle and the winning family receives a $500 Tigh-Na-Mara gift certificate! Our Milkshakes & Manicures is very popular for some mother/daughter bonding. Very happy to read that you and your husband took advantage of our Dinner & a Movie for kids to have some adult time to yourself. That is exactly the intention!

Enjoy the rest of your summer before the pace (and all the driving) of raising three school-aged children ramps up next month.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Beautiful location near Parksville. We stayed in a 2bdrm cabin with two queens. The resort has great access to the beach. The beach at Tigh Na Mara is sandy and shallow, as all the beaches in and around parksville during low tide the water can be far from the shoreline which is great for beach combing. When high tide is in the water is about waist deep and nice and warm in the summer. The sunrises are spectacular from the beach.

The cabin had a functional kitchen and we were supplied with a bbq which was great as we were able to prepare all our own food.

We took advantage of the spa and had an amazing pedicure complete with dip in the grotto and the endless Tapas, which were AMAZING!

The pool is small and only about 4ft deep but great to go for a swim. There are lockers and towels provided by the resort. The pool is indoors but there is a outdoor patio and a roof top patio close by. We did use the fitness facilities which were okay, but the weight machine could use to be replaced.

We did not eat at the resturaunt but did go to a neighbour resort to the Black Goose Inn, and I highly recommend the trip, the food is amazing as is the atmophere if you are into a traditional British Style Pub.

We took advantage of the foodie tour offered by the resort which I highly recommend, it is $25/person and takes you to some of the areas best foodie locations.

Overall we had no complaints at all. The resort is older so I'm sure there are some rooms that could use an update but all is clean and lovely we will be returning next year for another week!

Room Tip: If you are travelling in the summer with kids the two bedroom cabins are a must, they have all you n...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you Sarah M for your fantastic review all the way from New Brunswick! So happy your family enjoyed your family vacation together and that you'll be returning next year!

Sounds like you were able to enjoy lots of our services & amenities - like the beach, our Grotto Spa, Pool House and some of our Recreation Programs. One thing Parksville does not have is a lot of "pubs" but the Black Goose Inn is a hidden gem just a short stroll from our property.

I'm glad you took advantage of our new "Green Incentive" where guests can choose which days they would like to have housekeeping service and receive a $10 Resort Credit for days they do not. This program has been very well received by our guests so far this summer.

Have a great winter and we'll see you again next summer,

Reviewed 13 August 2014

This is our 4th time staying here and boy has it changed - and not for the better. Cabin and grounds not nearly as clean as last time here (just 2 summers ago) and cabins in need of maintenance, piles of wet towels in the pool changing room and unclean, kids activities seem reduced in what is offered, seems like a reduction in staff, and.... they killed the Cedar Room Restaurant. Restaurant menu is smaller, not near the quality, and no more Sunday brunch but a menu with bacon and eggs for $20 bucks! Would seriously reconsider coming back. Sadly something has changed here. Is there new management? We have a couple more days here so let's see how the rest of our time here goes.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Barb C

Thank you Barb C for your review. And thank you so much for returning to Tigh-Na-Mara for the fourth time! I'm sorry your impression this time was not as good as your previous visits.

Change is a necessary part of any business and there has been some change. For example, we renovated our Cedars Restaurant and Lounge. This included a move away from our Sunday buffet brunches. We still do them on "special" Sundays, like Easter and Mother's Day, etc but we've added a daily continental buffet selection that is included with any breakfast entree. Another part of this change was adding another chef to be exclusive to this restaurant which we haven't had before.

But I can assure you that management has not changed. Same General Manager, Maintenance and Housekeeping Managers, F&B Manager, even the same groundskeeper who still rakes the gravel in front of the cottages the way you like it. Same, if not more, team members and recreation programs than in previous years, although we have reduced the complimentary Kids Club drop-in program to 4 hours/day from 8. Overall we try to improve year after year. You typically stay a week mid-August which is the busiest time of the year for us. Keeping the Pool House clean of wet towels is a constant challenge this time of year when we have approximately 500 resort guests in-house including 125 children.

I know you wrote this review half-way through your stay; and I know that you also shared your concerns with our Front Office. I hope the remainder of your stay was better.

We would truly love to have you visit us again next year for your fifth time! Thank you again for your feedback. We appreciate hearing it and especially that you care enough to share it with us.

Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

My wife & 2 children (age 14 & 12) stayed in one of the 'log cabins' near the spa for 5 nights. It was a 5 minute walk to the beach from there.
BEACH: The beach itself was great - a bit too big during low tide - with a shack there for any beach needs. At high tide it was ideal: very warm water great for swimming/playing. There is a smooth steep path to access the beach, which requires effort to climb.
CABIN: Our room was the best part of our stay. A wonderfully comfortable King bed, a pull-down wall bed, a kitchenette, and a wonderful bathroom with jacuzzi and separate shower. We were provided with a charcoal BBQ.
RESORT: My limited interaction with staff was pleasant. Questions answered and problems resolved quickly. Tennis court, basketball nets, ping pong, playground, indoor pool with sauna & hot tub.
We did not visit the spa. It was too pricey for our taste.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Jim H, Manager at Tigh-Na-Mara Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thanks so much David P for your great review! Sounds like you and your family had a great west coast experience in one of our Spa Bungalow Studios. The beach is great, isn't it? We do have the warmest ocean water anywhere in Canada due to our huge, shallow, sandy beach. Yes we added the Snack Shack at the beach last summer and it's been a very popular addition to our services.

Thanks again and we'll look forward to your next visit from Mississauga,
Jim H

Also consider these accommodations in or near Parksville
Oceanside Village Resort
Ocean Sands Resort
Ocean Sands Resort
#1 of 13 in Parksville
Black Rock Oceanfront Resort

Been to Tigh-Na-Mara Resort? Share your experiences!