“Fantastic Seafood”

Price range: US$5 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Kalvas is a classy, upscale log cabin with dark wood tables and a warm atmosphere. The semi-circular building offers almost every table a view from large windows. The focus of Kalvas is on the dining experience and the quality of the selections on the menu. Specializing in seafood and premium meats such as AAA Alberta Beef and Island Springs Lamb, Kalvas offers high-quality meals at reasonable prices.
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I visited Kalvas for the first time after hearing how spectacular the food and dinning experience was so we decided to give it a try.. We were Seated as soon as we came in even with a busy restaurant and not having made a reservation for a Friday night that's was absolutely outstanding . As the Seafood lover that I am I decided to try the panko halibut and I have to say that it was the most moist and delicious halibut I have ever had and the sauce that accompanied it was a perfect match.. My husband had the beef tenderloin and it was cooked a perfect medium rare , The food came out very quickly and the presentation fantastic, From start to finish this was a dinning experience that we will never forget . Thanks to all the staff for a great night. Compliments to the chefs that prepared such a great meal .. We will be back .

1  Thank Pat H
There are newer reviews for Kalvas Restaurant

Reviewed 12 March 2014

We ate here twice...just to give it a second chance. The first time both meals were mediocre. The second time we went in for the Prime Rib Dinner they advertised...and it was also mediocre. Food was just warm. Yorkshire Pudding left a lot to be desired. The whole meal was a let-down. And to top it off, it was quite a bit more expensive than other restaurants in the area...and the food was worse than the less expensive restaurants. We will not be back.

Kalvas, Owner at Kalvas Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

I honestly appreciate your feedback. Our goal is to make each and every customer happy with their meal, and have them want to return again.
Kalva’s uses _AAA prime rib, fresh local seafood and in season, local ingredients. Our sauces are made from meat stock – not powder; the prime rib rubbed with spices then slow roasted all day – with generous 8 or 10 oz cuts. Our vegetables are fresh peeled every night, then each type coated with its own individual sauce so that our guests get a variety. The potatoes mashed daily, house-made spaetezl sautéed for each plate. Our special bread is served toasty warm, our Yorkshire puddings are baked that day, and warmed in the oven. All desserts are made in-house. Every plate that goes out is flashed with the hot food to ensure that it gets to your table steaming hot, and stays warm. Every plate is checked by me, the chef, before it goes out; and re-checked by our hostess/co-owner again to ensure it meets our high standards, or it goes back to the kitchen. All of this high quality ingredients and fresh food preparation by professional cooks is part of the reason for higher labor costs than average.
Our servers have been with us for many, many years and are professionals. It is their job to ensure that you, our customer, are satisfied. Your waiter will ask. This gives us the opportunity to provide a meal to your liking – this too, is our job. I sincerely ask that you inform us at the time, of your questions, comments, preferences, so that we can accommodate you. And have you as a return guest to discover our new menu.
Respectfully, Chef Adel Chmait

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Outside: Cool looking log cabin . Inside: Decor stuck in the early 80's. Food isn't bad and service is ok. Unfortunately, this is only one of a couple of places locally considered to be "fine Dining".

2  Thank Tarace P
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We went for dinner four times in five weeks during our visit. The quality and service never changed. Prime rib Fridays!! And their special of beef tenderloin with lobster hollandaise We ate out often but Kalvas is our top pick.

2  Thank True54
Reviewed 1 March 2014

My family and I went to Kalvas last week and had great food, wine and service. This is a wonderful restaurant and in our opinion the best in Parksville, and we go there quite often..Our meals have always been fresh and hot and cooked the way that we ask for it to be prepared..My aunt and I had the shrimp in a garlic butter sauce and the two men had steak..Overall everything was fantastic and we had a wonderful evening out. We also find that the log house experience is very homey. Adel and Najwa have a great thing going here and we certainly do not hesitate to go as often as we can. Thumbs up to you..

1  Thank Carol-Anne W