“A Special Place”

Kokanee Glacier Resort
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I read a review below..some lady was angry about the beach, I'm angry at her! The beach is great...semi-private and is SAND not dirt.

Anyways, I stayed here with three kids and I have to say it was great. We were only planning on staying one night in Nelson on our way to Penticton however after staying one night and eating the amazing complementary breakfast we decided to stay another night...my daughter told me as we all sat for breakfast "this place feels like home".

The facilities are more then adequate and paired with the staff, trust me, whatever need you have will be attended to. I had several funny requests and the service did not disappoint, Shaun, Laurie and every other staff member I met was more then willing to help. Shaun advised a day trip destination that was literally amazing....hike, waterfall and private beach to lounge at PERFECT for my kids (youngest 6). I found the atmosphere great and even better after a long drive.

The beach was great we spent a TON of time there, we are able bodied so we didn't find crossing the road to get to the beach all that perilous again my son who is 6 was fine. The kayaks are fun and the beach is great sadly it is not handicap accessible.

We will be returning for future visits, it really was a fun and stress free stay, great atmosphere thank-you all!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Shaun C, Owner at Kokanee Glacier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Hello Scott H,

All the hard work, planning and long hours are well worth it when I read about the great time your family had here this Summer.

During your stay, I remember you telling me about your daughter saying that "this place feels like home". That is quite possibly the best compliment we have ever received.
It truly made my day to read your review and show it to our staff.

There are so many great spots to explore around the Nelson area but the waterfall that you went too is definitely one of my favorite places as well.

Thank you for taking the time to tell us and other travelers about your very positive experience.
We look forward to seeing you again next year!

Shaun C

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We came into town to see the car show this year and visit family. We usually stay in town but the car show weekend had booked up our usual accommodation places. Also, because of the car show, the local hotel places seem to jack up their prices higher than normal eventhough the summer business is over. My wife found this little place outside of town (10km east) and it was very affordable for its offerings. We were not disappointed. Our suite was very clean and Laurie made sure that all our needs that we requested were in order before retiring for the 2 nights we were there. We were surprised with all the amenities that the resort had to offer: mini kitchenette in the suite, BBQ area, fire pit, kid's treehouse, beach area (across roadway). Since we were in for a quick visit, we did not have time to use the amenities - but will plan for some next time. The drive in/out of town (10min) wasn't too bad either but obviously not as convenient as being in town. The resort is older and perhaps needs some upgrades here and there for those that care about those details. Not wheelchair friendly (maybe the bottom suites; we were on the 2nd level, stair access only). The beach access may be a little dangerous for the younger kids to cross the road (blind corner, 60km speed limit). We waited until all noise from traffic disappeared and then listened very closely for any approaching vehicles before rushing across. Other than that, we were happy with our stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 August 2013

We thought this was beach front but it was not. Beautiful view of the lake however. We were surprised to find out that the rooms were suites with full kitchens. Breakfast was perfect a casual help yourself. Loved the deck and grounds. The staff are very friendly. We were too busy doing other fun things and did not make it to the beach but other guests said it was great.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 27 August 2013

After all of the great reviews I assumed I was going to be disappointed. This resort lives up to the postive reviews. It was quiet, peaceful, and a easy access to Nelson, the hot springs, and the park. The only room suggestion is if you have upper respiratory issues, stay away from room #204 and #104. The common BBQ is right outside of these rooms. Nobody was grilling during our stay, but I assume they could be smoky. I loved the new treehouse/viewing area that was completed during our stay. The resort is older, so it has some small wear and tear, but it was very clean. I am a very light sleeper, so I used a small fan and I was able to keep the windows open at night. I had no problem with the traffic or train noise during the night. I am looking forward to a return visit to this resort in the near future.

Room Tip: Avoid room #104 and #204 to avoid the BBQ smoke.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
SydneyJadeNelson, Owner at Kokanee Glacier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Hello lillybuddymax,

Thank you for writing this wonderful and informative review of our property.

Having a BBQ on the covered main deck near room 204 has been very convenient for our guests. Although no one has ever mentioned that the smoke coming off of it may be a problem for the occupants of that room when they open their door, it definitely could be. Thank you for making me aware of this potential problem, now I will look into fixing it.

Thanks also for mentioning the new tree house sitting area. It is a great private spot to have a relaxing drink in the evenings and enjoy the view.

We look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 20 August 2013

Laurie, the manager is amazing. Without her this would have been a one star rating. Laurie was very gracious about offering us a two bedroom, second floor suite with amazing views. The facility is clean but in desperate need of upgrades from linen, blankets, pillows to the overall rooms. To get to the beach you have to cross a high speed road at a blind curve. The beach access is not handicapped accessible and is covered in long grasses and weeds. The beach front is 20 to 30 feet of rocky and weed-choked soil. There is hardly room for more than 2-3 people and that is only if they are willing to stand. The grounds by the motel itself are lovely and well-maintained. Our overall impression is that the owners don't really care about keeping everything in good shape. Laurie doesn't stop working. She is always friendly, helpful and accommodating. Whatever she is being paid, it isn't enough for all that she does.

Room Tip: Ask for the second floor, two bedroom suite. It has the best view.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Peacefulhearts
SydneyJadeNelson, Owner at Kokanee Glacier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2013

Hello Linda,

As the owner of the Kokanee Glacier Resort it is very troubling for us to read your review.
It seems the high water levels were at the root of your displeasure and that things snowballed from there to the point that you actually posted pictures of the grass by the beach in an attempt to mislead, and posted a personal attack on my wife and I stating that we do not care about our business.

I have to assume that prior to your trip to Nelson in early July, you were aware of the wide spread flooding in Alberta and British Columbia that devastated many parts of the provinces and left many people homeless, injured or worse. This was the harsh reality for tens of thousands of people. Your reality was that the beach you wanted to sit on was covered in water. There was a three week period where the beach was mostly covered in water. Every one of our guests had an appreciation of the situation and it was a complete non issue. Under normal circumstances we have for guest use, a beautiful white sandy beach (across the road) that stretches for over 150 feet long and 35 feet wide and can accommodate many beach goes at the same time.
I grew up in Calgary, one of the hardest hit cities during the floods. During your visit to Nelson we were busy checking up on friends and family, never for a moment neglecting our duties at our business.
We replaced ever single bed sheet and towel two weeks prior to your stay and as you mentioned our "grounds by the motel itself are lovely and well maintained" . You also mentioned that the facility is clean, that the service by our manager, Laurie, is top notch and that your room had a great view.
All of this does not just happen, it starts and ends with caring and attentive owners and we are very puzzled as to your very contradicting statements and why you would think we deserve a 1 star rating because everything sounded just fine other than the beach?
Obviously some of your comments have upset us very deeply, and I believe that any business owner would be left wondering why are these people that upset that they would say such damaging things and insult the opinions of many other travelers who have had such pleasant experiences at our facility.
What we pay our employees is of no concern to other travelers or you and should not be mentioned on travel review sites.
In the future, it would be in every ones best interest to call the property ahead of time to make sure that everything is going to suit your accommodation needs. If the beach was priority number 1 of your 1 night stay in Nelson, then it might have been a good idea to call and ask about it. You would have been informed that although the beach in front of our property is flooded, there still were many others a short distance from us. This would have given you the opportunity to change your plans.
Unfortunately for you, it is Mother Nature that does not care about your travel plans, not us.

Shaun and Amanda
Owners/Operators
Kokanee Glacier Resort

Reviewed 15 August 2013

My family and I stayed here after driving from Osoyoos. We were travelling with our 2 dogs and needed a pet friendly hotel. I highly recommend this place if you are travelling with kids and dogs. The rooms are very spacious, semi private and basic and clean with comfortable beds.

There is beach access across the road which is awesome for swimming and you can rent kayaks if you wish.

The hostess is very welcoming and friendly. Breakfast is free, just a help yourself, coffee, tea, toast, cereal etc.

We felt so relaxed here after staying at a hotel in Osoyoos that we booked an extra day to visit the Nelson area.

It's 10mins out of town but totally worth the drive!!!

Room Tip: Don't miss this place!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
SydneyJadeNelson, Owner at Kokanee Glacier Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2013

Hello Magoo019,

Thank you for the kind review.
It seems as though our property was a perfect fit for you and your family.
We all enjoyed your positive energy and genuine excitement about giving your family a great vacation (dogs included).

We are very happy to have so many devoted guests that return every year and it sounds like we can add you to that list.
Remember to book early as our 2 bedroom suites fill up fast for July and August.
Thanks again, and have a great rest of your summer.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

we couldnt find a place so kept driving came by this place turned around and they had a room for us...was a awesome place..Laura was very nice ...would recommend this place 24/7...very clean ...loved the lake view plus loved walking to the beach front area....i would recommend it

Room Tip: any would be good we had a upper room ...on the side ..was nice
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Tammy S

Thank you for your very positive feedback. All of the hard work and planning that goes into every detail here is all worth it when we hear such great things from our guests.

Laurie has been a great addition to our staff over this last year. She truly loves her job and has a great up beat personality. As with any business you need devoted employees working for you and we are happy we found her.

We have been told we have one of the nicest views on the lake, and I have to say that even after six years of looking at it, it never gets dull.

Thanks for taking the time to brighten our day. It really is appreciated.