BEST WESTERN PLUS Baker Street Inn & Convention Centre
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
Prince George
“"Thanks so much"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2012

This morning (Oct 28th) I'm checking out after 5 nights. The staff here are very pleasant and ready to give a hand if required. The lobby, rooms and hallways are well maintained. Sunday morning brunch is perhaps the best you will ever experience. Really it is. I stay here many times each year because it's a quality hotel. The quality staff here reflects the management. The fireplace in the lobby is very nice also. "Well done Baker Street Inn."
I'll be back.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
humehotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Baker Street Inn & Convention Centre, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Thank you for the continued business you have given our property over the past few years and as well for some very positive reviews. We appreciate the feedback and I will be sure to share your comments with the rest of the staff. We look forward to hosting you in Nelson again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2012

I am staying here right now, and I hate the view. The view looks out onto a small concrete courtyard with a mountain mural painted on the far wall. I'm not sure if this is suppose to provide the illusion of a real mountain view, but it doesn't work for me, considering the real mountains around Nelson are beautiful and this mural is not. I also do not like that I can't open my window. Fresh air seems to be only obtained through the fan mode on the noisy AC/heating unit. I thought a high pitched alarm was going off in a neighboring building through out the night, but this morning, I discovered it was coming from the refrigerator in the room. I like to use my computer in bed, but I could not find an outlet near the bed. This morning, I found one behind the bed, but I need to move the bed to plug in it. Little things like this bother me. I have walked through the lobby several times, and the staff does not say "hi" unless I say "hi" first...I think that's weird. I don't like all of the shades of brown in the decoration either. On the plus side, the room is clean. The bedding seems fresh. TV, coffee maker, and a microwave. Also real glasses and coffee cups as opposed to plastic. For people who prefer to work at a desk, there is one here. The wifi works well. The location is convenient. But the lack of a real view and being woken up all night by the fridge and heating unit has made me feeling grumpy this morning.

Room Tip: I would think any view must be better than the courtyard fake view of the mountains. I would try to...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
humehotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Baker Street Inn & Convention Centre, responded to this review, 13 October 2012
We are sorry that we fell short on some expectations. We have some rooms that face inside towards our quiet courtyard area that do not offer much of a view. Some guests prefer them because they are definitely the quietest rooms that we offer. Rooms that face the courtyard are sold at a discount to the rooms that face outwards. Next time we will make every effort to put you in an outward facing room.

I have notified the Maintenance department about the noisy fridge and AC unit. If they can't be fixed they will be replaced.

I have made the front desk aware of your comments about saying hello. Typically we get many compliments on how friendly they are but here, we were not at our best. Thanks for the candor and feedback. We hope you will give us another try.
Calgary
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2012

This hotel is on the south(?) end of Baker Street. It's been recently upgraded to a "Plus". The rooms are very nice, beds are comfortable, all amenities are there, the restaurant is very good without being very expensive but the best part of the Hotel is it's Location. You simply cant beat it's location! Park the car across the street in the free parking and leave it there until the day you leave! You can walk almost everywhere! Wednesdays (summer) they close a block of Baker Street downtown for their Farmer's Market! It's a wonderful experience!
There is another hotel near the Lake, but it is close to nothing, and everything else is uphill from there.
This hotel as friendly helpful staff, the rooms are very nice, the food is great and the location can't be beat!
What else is there to say?

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Redmond, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

We were travelling thru Canada for the first time...and discovered this delightful town of Nelson. Pretty location on a huge and long lake...and a great downtown full of special restaurants. The Baker Street Inn appealed for its location and clean ( ok "american") appearance. I suspect we got fleeced a bit on the rate (very high in our experience) but the room was extremely nice and staff was helpful. We got a large room with a King bed and nice amenities. We did not try their dining room as they did not have my husband's favorite Irish whiskey... GRIN....and there are SO many great options if you walk out the door down the main street of town.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the 4th floor... high above the street
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2012

Because we have dogs (a 12 week old pug puppy and a 3 year old shepherd), we chose this hotel because they were pet friendly.
At the time of check in, we were asked for a credit card just for the file, and were told we didn't have to pay with the card at checkout and nothing would be charged to it. I said ok, as my payment hadn't gone through on the card yet. So, next thing I know, the lady at the front desk runs my card through for the full amount and informed me it was declined. I looked at her and said "I know that, the payment hasn't gone through yet and you said nothing would be put on it". So, I was a little perturbed and told her we would just prepay the $139+tx room, the $20 extra pet fee, and the $200 deposit. Then we checked in.
All was well, until checkout. We tidied up grabbed our stuff and went to checkout. We got our full deposit back and left. About 30 minutes later, we get a call that the housekeeper found a small doo doo under the desk and we had to return (because I paid cash) and pay a carpet cleaning fee. I asked if she was serious, as a pug puppy (3.5 lbs) CANNOT make a big enough mess to warrant a carpet cleaning. She said tht there was NO WAY they could rent the room out as the tiny spot on the carpet would be wet and the $50 fee would go towards "man hours". Really? $50 for a housekeeper, in a "PET FRIENDLY" hotel room, to do her job? Pick up a tiny poop and lysol it??? And the reason we didn't see it was that the carpeting in there is quite dark and multicoloured, so it wouldn't even leave a stain!
I asked what the pet fee was for and was told that cleaning wasn't part of it. :-/ I returned and paid it, but feel that an extra charge for something that should be part of being pet friendly (to a reasonable point) is unfair and petty. Won't return to this hotel again, as our bill ended up well over $200 for the night. Ridiculous.

• Stayed September 2012
humehotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Baker Street Inn & Convention Centre, responded to this review, 18 September 2012
I am really sorry you felt that you should not have paid the extra cleaning for your pet going to the bathroom on our carpet in the guest room. We take pride in the fact that this property is 'Ultra Clean' and when something like this occurs, we feel that it is necessary to steamclean the carpets. While you may feel that it was small, your pet may have also urinated on the carpets which would be hard to see. We just want to make sure that the room is 100% clean for the next guests.

The extra pet fee that you pay is simply for the extra cleaning that pet friendly rooms require which is much more than rooms without pets. It does not, however, mean that this includes the extra cleaning required when they go to the bathroom in the room. I truly feel that most hotels would handle pet rooms in the same manner.

We are sorry to hear that this has left a bad taste in your mouth after the rest of your stay seemed like it was very positive. We enjoy being a pet-friendly hotel and rarely have this type of thing occur. Regardless, we appreciate the review. Thanks for staying with us.
Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

Once each year my wife & I travel to Nelson, B.C. to visit with our daughter & her family. We have always stayed at the best western hotel because it is so convenient, very clean & the staff are always very friendly. They have a great dining room with a fine selection of food. Their workout room is well equipped with a hot tub as well.
We always stay at this hotel & we recommend it to everyone

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dennis M
humehotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Baker Street Inn & Convention Centre, responded to this review, 14 September 2012
Thank for you saying so. I am glad that you are well-aquainted with the services we offer and that the staff have been wonderful. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon. We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments with the world.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

We stayed in Room 315 which is said to have a "lake view." Unfortunately, the sliver of the lake visible though one small window is located beyond a highway, rail road tracks, and a wide industrial area.

Noise from the highway awakened us at 5:30 a.m.

The room is on the small side with a low ceiling and the bathroom is small, too. However, the bed was comfortable, the shower was good, and the towels were soft and fluffy.

The monochromatic decor seems calculated to please men.

What we enjoyed most was the cleanliness of the place. It was, indeed, a treat to stay at a hotel that pays such careful attention to cleaning and maintenance.

The Baker Street Restaurant, located in the hotel, serves delicious food at reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the highway.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple