“Best Hostel in Town”

Ranked #3 of 13 Nelson B&B and Inns
Kelowna, Canada
“Best Hostel in Town”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

I am coming from Kelowna to Nelson every weekend and I stay here.
This place is very nice clean and safe. If I was in charge I would paint the walls in the kitchen a bright color. No complaints other than than fantastic staff fantastic location great music in the lounge. Will return, ask about month rates for the off ski season if your not just in nelson for the powder.

Room Tip: Private rooms are nice you have a little more space. I saved money and just use half my bed as a she...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Another great hostel in the powder triangle , great staff and friends
Nelson is such a cool little town with a great hart, super friendly and great bc bud wiser,;) great location and pow pow
Will be going back to the koots for sure

• Stayed February 2013
Paris, France
Reviewed 6 February 2013

I stayed at this hostel a week in January (2013). They just had renovations done so almost everything in the house looks new and it's very clean. Guests and staff were very friendly. The dorm is well designed so it doesn't feel like a room for 8 people. There's always nice music playing in the reception, which is also a comfy living room with a fire place and nice couch, and the kitchen. The only inconvenient is that there aren't enough bathrooms (the hostel wasn't full so it was ok).

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Fort St. John, Canada
Reviewed 31 January 2013

The Dancing Bear Inn has clean dorms and private rooms, a somewhat cramped kitchen, well-equipped communal washrooms, comfy lobby, and inviting foyer with a fireplace. The staffers are very courteous, helpful, and ponctual. The only thing missing is a TV room, but for the pri-ce, I am not complaining. Very good value and right prices. Cheerio!! Value: ****.

Note: I will OFFICIALLY arrive in Nelson at 6:50 P.M. (P.S.T.) on Friday, 02/22/'13, on the Greyhound bus via Kelowna. I already reserved my dorm bed with a valid VISA credit card. Ciao!!

Room Tip: 3 different floors to choose from. It will be my third stay there.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Duncan, Canada
Reviewed 29 September 2012

My wife and I had a very happy one night stay at this Hostel this (2012) summer. The staff were friendly and helpful and our room was clean (we chose to stay in a private room, rather than in the dorms). There were not, in my opinion, enough bathrooms, and of the two bathrooms that served all the guests on our floor both, only one had a WC. But the usual hostel facilities were great, the whole feel of the place is remarkably welcoming, and the location in downtown Nelson, is perfect.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Bern, Switzerland
Reviewed 7 September 2012

I only stayed in Nelson for a few days, but I got to explore the whole town, because everything is in walking distance.
The Hostel was very nice and clean, I especially like that you have to take your shoes off, so that the floors stay clean.
However my room wasn't very nice (I was staying in a 6-bed dorm), as I had the feeling I was staying in a cellar. Although the room had a large window, you couldn't really open it and once opened the noise of the air conditioning of the hotel next to the hostel was very loud.
Besides that, you cannot do a lot in the hostel as they don't have a common room that offers activities other than surfing on the internet or reading.
But all in all a nice hostel, not much to do there, but definitely the right place if you're looking for a clean & cozy stay.

• Stayed September 2012
Vancouver
Reviewed 30 August 2012

We stayed in room #4 - private twin bunk bed with sink and mirror. The room was clean along with the mattresses which were also comfortable. The hallway was air conditioned at certain times in the evening but our room did not seem to be. Yes it was a bit noisy with the window open but we found people talking outside to be louder than anything else. The noise definitely carries… but you need the window open for fresh air as it can get stuffy. Having the sink and mirror in the room was a bonus for sure! Very convenient.
Parking sucks: 2 squeezed-in spots in the front-side, 5 spaces in the back and yes I could easily see someone being blocked in by another vehicle. Very crammed! Parking on the street is great but you have to pay Mon-Sat 9-5pm. So you can park for free on the street overnight – just need to leave by 9:00AM.
Both my husband and I believe it was a good value overall – it’s not a hotel it’s a hostel, so yes you share the bathroom and shower. Not a biggy – seemed clean enough for us.
Shared kitchen had everything you need along with a large commercial type fridge.
Staff were accommodating when we asked to change our arrival and departure dates.
We would return to this hostel for sure. There are 2 other hostel types to consider: White House Backpackers Lodge and The New Grand Hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple