“Great Hostel for travelers”
Review of Dancing Bear Inn

Dancing Bear Inn
Ranked #2 of 13 Nelson B&B and Inns
Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
“Great Hostel for travelers”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

My friend and I arrived in Nelson in late October to set up home for the winter, and stayed at the Dancing Bear Inn for our first two nights before finding a place to live. Having stayed in HI hostels before, I expected good standards, but was pleasantly surprised to find that the standards here were the best I've come across. The whole building was recently renovated and is kept very clean and tidy, we staying in a twin-bunk private room for not much more than we would have paid to share with others, and were very happy with it. Breakfast is not included, but there is a well stocked kitchen and lots of fridge/cupboard space to store your own groceries. The private bathrooms are also a great feature. All the staff were very friendly and helpful with town knowledge, and with its great location on Baker St, we would recommend the Dancing Bear Inn to everybody.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 24 October 2013

I arrived in Nelson and the first hostel I could clearly see was the Dancing Bear, directly on the main strip, you are minutes away walking distance from everything you need. If your looking for hikes and beautiful scenery the area has everything to offer. The staff was incredibly friendly and helped me with any questions I had. The hostel is clean and HI approved which makes for running into a diversity of characters all together. The dorms are spacious and beds are comfortable enough to fall asleep in no time. Only down fall is there is no front desk service between 11am - 4pm so if you arrive in the middle of the day, your stuck wandering until you can settle down.

Room Tip: The dorm room is directly next to the outside patio, it can get loud at times. ask for a room on upp...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Calgary
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Inviting and warm, nice wooden interior. The girl at the reception wasn't too cheery though, nor friendly or helpful. Our private room was small but clean. Kitchen was very very clean. Overall good experience. Sleep was awful because of the baby crying across the hallway, but it seemed a rare occasion to me that is unlikely to reoccur. On a sidenote, the shoerack smelled up the staircase and it'd be better to move it away from the middle of the room/entrance.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PixieD81
Nanaimo, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 27 July 2013

There was no one at the front desk or anywhere to be found in the hostel at our 10oclk check out to return our 100$ deposit that we were required to give because we didn't have a credit card. This was frustrating, as we had places to be.
Otherwise, our stay was great!
It was clean, and very comfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
DancingBearInn, General Manager at Dancing Bear Inn, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Dancing Bear Inn during your travels. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I want to sincerely apologize that you experienced difficulty checking out. Our desk should be staffed from 7-11am every day and it is not acceptable that no one was available to check you out at 10am. I have addressed this incident with my staff and assure you that it will not happen again. We would love to accommodate you on your next visit to Nelson. If you plan to make a future reservation, please be in contact with me directly so that I can assure you a more comfortable stay. Thank you again for your business. We look forward to seeing you again!

Best,

Misha Graves
misha@dancingbearinn.com

NOTE: please be advised that the Dancing Bear Inn does not require a cash deposit for any guest reserving a room with a Visa or MasterCard.
Otorohanga, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 June 2013

If you plan to stay in Nelson stay here, the best hostel i have stayed in. Staff are so friendly, facilities are excellent and the town is so laid back and beautiful. I will be back . . .
Thanks to Jesse and Coleen :)

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I have been to a lot of HI hostels all over the world. But the Dancing Bear Inn was the best hostel I have ever been!! It's very clean and comfortable. But the best was the staff, the cozy lobby and all the nice people I met there! The staff was always helpful, funny and nice - especially the German intern ;)
I will definitely visit this hostel and Nelson, this very special and nice place on earth, again!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I travel to Nelson three times a year for school and I was so impressed with the dancing bear the first time I went that I never bothered looking for another place to stay even though I would often stay for weeks at a time.
The staff are always friendly, inviting and soon become like family.
The rooms have always been clean and so homey. The whole environment is so welcoming!!
The dancing bear is by far the best hostel I have ever stayed at, it's honestly better then most motels I have stayed at! When in Nelson ill never stay at another place!

• Stayed September 2012