“Perfect stay; will return.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cloudside Hotel

Cloudside Hotel
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Nelson
Vancouver, Canada
“Perfect stay; will return.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I had to travel to Nelson for work, and pondered where to stay. The Cloudside Inn popped up in my search and had such strong reviews that I had to try it out.

The room I stayed in (Fir) was comfortable and warm and perfect for me. Chris was the most hospitable person that I've ever encountered in accomodations, and his breakfasts are amazing. It's not just a toast-and-spreads affair, it's a full breakfast, with home-made granolas and hot food cooked to order. Something I've never experienced, and something I want to experience again soon!

The Inn is located centrally in Nelson. Everything is within a 15 minute walk, which was nice. With a car, you're set to go anywhere you want.

I travelled for business, but would seriously be ready to travel for fun!

Room Tip: Some rooms have ensuites, some don't - that was my deciding factor, but it doesn't need to b...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
riotambopata, Owner at Cloudside Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Thank-you for posting a review; it was a lot of fun chatting to you way back in November. I hope you find a need to return to Nelson and that we can look forward to being your hosts again.

Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

The Cloudside Inn was perfect for our two night stay (October 2013) while visiting our kids who recently moved to the area. We were fortunate enough to book the 'Willow Suite' which gave us really more room than we initially thought we needed but worked out perfectly. The suite was immaculately clean, spacious and had everything two weary travelers could ask for and more. After an 8.5 hour car trip, Sally greeted us with a smile and showed us around. We loved the convenient and secure parking lot off the alley, nice feature due to metered parking in the downtown area. The suite featured lovely decor, a very comfortable kind size bed, a cozy living/dining room area, mini kitchen and a large private bath. They were booked solid during our stay, 7 or 8 other rooms but we weren't at all disturbed by other guests. It was lovely to know that two breakfast seatings are offered, 8 & 9 a.m. We knew how tired we were and opted for the latter. Each meal is carefully and expertly prepared to order to accommodate the guests. The homemade granola's and pancakes were heavenly. Chris is a master in the kitchen. You will start you days with smiles from all and a very happy tummy. We loved the location, a few blocks to almost everything and right down the street from our favorite treat, Oh So Negro Coffee. A must for us coffee snobs!
Chris & Sally and their staff were very welcoming, friendly and most gracious hosts. They work very hard to make it all look effortless. We very much look forward to making the Cloudside Inn our home away from home when visiting our children in Nelson. It truly is a relaxed and very welcoming atmosphere. With all the comforts these wonderful folks provide to their guests, the convenient location and a spotless, spectacularly remodeled heritage home, this is where we look forward to staying time and time again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
It was very good of you to take the time and trouble to write about us, and we are very grateful for your generous comments. I am sorry that we are so far behind on responding - I hope we are forgiven! Winter generally slows down, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year.

I hope we can welcome you back if you are in town to see your children again.

With regards,

Sally
Burnaby, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

My husband and I stayed for two nights in July 2013 while visiting friends. It was our first time to Nelson and we decided to try the Cloudside as it had such good reviews on Trip Advisor. And I'm happy to say we were not disappointed! We stayed in the Cedar Room which is at the front of the house. I've never stayed anywhere where the bathroom was not ensuite and I was a little hesitant about that but it was fine. The Cedar Room has a dedicated bathroom just down the hall so no worries about walking in on anyone else in the middle of the night! The bathroom was spotless and it was so well stocked with whatever you might need, in full-sized bottles no less!The room was large and spotless as well and the queen bed was very comfortable. The Cloudside is more of an inn than a traditional B&B and has about 7 or 8 rooms. Surprisingly we didn't hear a peep from anyone. The house must have great soundproofing. Children are welcome too and there were some there when we stayed but, again, not a peep. Parking is out the back and makes it very easy to bring your bags in. One thing I REALLY liked is that they have two sittings for breakfast, 8 & 9. I like to sleep in a bit so that was nice. The first morning we had breakfast with only 2 other people and the second morning, the table was full. The breakfasts were delicious and Chris is quite the pastry man and both days we had either fresh muffins or fresh scones. Delicious! The location of the Cloudside is great too. So close to downtown and there is a wonderful coffee bar/restaurant just on the corner. We would definitely stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank-you for your positive review, and I am glad that you enjoyed your visit to Nelson and the Cloudside Inn.

Best wishes,

Owner
arizona, british columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

This was our third stay at Cloudside. We look forward to our stop each fall when we "migrate" between our homes in BC and Arizona. Chris and Sally are very interesting folks and do their utmost to please guests. One of the rooms is small, but cozy and has its own bathroom. The living room downstairs is roomy and comfortable. It is a very quiet, charming old home, with every detail immaculate and tasteful. Breakfast is fresh and wholesome - especially Chris's homemade granola. The location is great: quiet, but a short walk to fun shops and a really good dinner nearby. We love BiBo. Chris and Sally really make us feel welcome, which, to us, is quite important.

Room Tip: Fir room is small but extremely quiet. The downstairs living room is a cozy place to read if one pe...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
We are very lucky to have you as returning customers. Just wish we were the one heading down to Arizona in the middle of the winter! I hope you are having a great time down there, and that we will see you at Cloudside again when the snow melts.

Chris & Sally
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

We only stayed at the Cloudside Inn for a single night, but we were made most welcome and felt that the accommodation was excellent as was the breakfast before our departure. We were en route to another destination so had little time to spare, but this would have made an excellent base for exploring the area if time was available.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank-you for your taking the time to write a review for us....sorry it has taken us so long to reply.

Chris & Sally
London, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013 via mobile

-very friendly staff
-nice room, however private bath was not attacked to bedroom and you had to access it via the hall
-breakfast was excellent, various choices
-close to good shopping, and many good restaurants
-a must is a ride on an old electric street car
-Nelson has a great atmosphere, lots of interesting people

• Stayed September 2013
Wakefield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

This is a wonderful accommodation. Clean spacious and very well appointed bedrooms. Attentive staff. Very well positioned and close to all the essential attractions of Nelson.
The only problem was it was rather sterile and lacking in personality. This I feel was down to the owners whom were rather aloof and only superficially friendly towards their paying customers. I got the feeling it was just a business venture to them.
I really do feel that if I had a B and B business such as this, I the propitiator would have a responsibility first and foremost to make my paying guests as welcome as possible ?.
Thats my opinion.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
riotambopata, Owner at Cloudside Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
I am very sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. Running a B&B is very much - above ALL else - a people-focused enterprise, and we could not possibly have done it for as long as we have (seven years) and remained the top-rated place to stay amongst all accommodations in Nelson without being friendly, approachable and welcoming. However, there are new guests to welcome every day (we work 350 of 365 days per year), and I think it's only fair to say that everyone will have their own opinion about us. Over the years we have had some wonderful compliments (see almost all of the other reviews), but we understand that we will not get it right for every single guest. I think we have been incredibly lucky over the years - not gifted, lucky - and we have had some exceptionally generous guests.

When you open up your home - the place where you and your family live - as a business, it puts a certain pressure upon you. It can be a challenge to be perfect for every visitor at every moment, every day. Responding to the reviewer directly: During your visit, our daughter (you may not have realized that we had children as we keep our young family completely separate from the business end of things) was taken quite ill, and we were spending more time with her than we normally do. Hannah is four years old, and she wanted her parents with her. She has a brother, who is seven, and he needed to be distracted. Our responsibilities probably leaned more towards being good parents than perfect hosts at this time - I can only apologize if this came across as sterility. We did rely on one member of staff in particular, Amelie, to take on more work. As a guest, there is no way you would have known about this, and nor should you. You were on vacation, and it should have been our job to make your visit nothing less than wonderful. But I am going to admit that it was difficult to be a great parent as well as a great host. I am sorry to admit that, but I think it is only fair that I should explain.

I am also sorry that you felt that we acted as if this is 'just a business'. Any B&B run on those lines will fail - we are a family home, as well as a house for guests, and I am very sorry that on this occasion our personal challenges may have impinged on our professional bearing. Hannah is now very well again, and I will do my best to keep my role as a dad in the background as I have done for seven years. To be candid, it can be hard; I wish I didn't have to write this to explain, but in the Internet age, transparency is everything.