“Good coffee, plain atmosphere.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 9 Coffee & Tea in Nelson
Price range: US$2 - US$10
Cuisines: Cafe, Canadian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Nelson, Canada
“Good coffee, plain atmosphere.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

The coffee and treats are excellent, but the atmosphere really needs development. The tables and chairs are cheap and the decorations need an upgrade. The staff is friendly and service quick. Not the worst cafe in Nelson, but not the best.

Visited July 2013

Nelson, Canada
“Lost it's charm”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

This coffee shop has the best location in Nelson for people watching and feeling the pulse of downtown Nelson. My problem is this. The coffee shop used to have a beautiful old interior, full of wooden curved tables and brass foot rails etc. When it was recently renovated all of the old charm was ripped out and replaced with a cold white cafeteria type feel. The staff is not very educated about the coffee they offer i.e. not knowing the difference between a Columbian or Robusta bean. They have stopped selling frappes and have reduced the baked goods on offer. All in all a downward trend is evident.

Visited June 2013
Vancouver
“Nirvana in Nelson”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

I'm embarrassed by what I'm about to say. I was an Oso Negro diehard and thought nothing could be better. I was wrong and I would like to apologize for my ignorance. As a traveled across Canada to learn about coffee from my brother, a coffee buyer and roaster, I began the long journey of educating my palette. 85% of the quality of the coffee is in the bean. John Ward has those beans. When I have one of their espresso the billions of receptors in my brain become active. The stomach has more receptors than the brain and this is where the process begins. I feel alive and tuned-in with world. How this happens I do not know or understand. It just is. Also, take a peek at their bulletin board outside the washrooms. You will laugh till it becomes embarrassing. Now you know.

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lethbridge, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good coffee shop”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

We had an espresso, chai latte, a muffin and a peanut butter square. It was all very tasty. There was also a busker playing the banjo, which was very charming.

Visited June 2013
Missoula, Montana
“Ripping off Americans every day”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

While the coffee was good, it was a bit spendy. The waitress saw me later in the afternoon skiing and recalled my coffee order albeit incorrectly. What she forgot was the they discount us dollars by 10% so $10 US is $9 Canadian. When I noted the exchange rate was 2% that day, she and the manager replied , "Well that's what we always do." Not a great response in a tourist town. They do not take credit cards. Will never go back.

• Visited March 2013